Advice please, problems with brand new motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Collected new ih 630 rl from dealer 4 weeks ago, they had forgotten to get some items fitted. They agreed to have them retrofitted and would send someone to us. Unfortunately ih themselves forgot to fit a cutlery drawer in the big undersink cupboard(new design, preferred old) and this needs joinery work, they are now saying they want it back at the factory, this will mean a 500 mile round trip. Nick does not retire until the end of the month and then we are away until mid may, should I insist they come and collect it do you think? There is also a lot of tatty trim and the toilet has not been sealed properly which they will also do. Obviously it is all very frustrating. If we have to take it back do you think we should insist they pay for fuel and either a campsite or hotel as the drive is over 5 hours each way? The back half is all finished beautifully, its as though they got called away mid job and then forgot.
Wish we had known the spare set of keys was not a full electronis one, that one is our fault but my brand new fiat panda in december had 2 full sets so didnt cross my mind.
Thak you for your advice in advance.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
When our m/h was called back to Swift they paid all expenses, put us up in a hotel and provided a hire car to get us home and then all again when we went to collect it.

It's their mistake and they should pay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the keys are just how they come from Fiat. A spare "smart" key could cost you the best part of about £200 I suspect. It is a pain not having two but I suppose the base vehicle is designed for deliveries so only one is needed.

I don't normally put my salesman's hat on but Murvi are not a million miles from you and their MHs don't come with these sort of faults. But the layouts may not suit everyone. Difference between a volume and a "bespoke" converter I suppose.

And you shouldn't have to pay anything or lift a finger to get it sorted. They shouldn't even drive it back but send a transporter, but I bet they won't!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Oh dear .. I really feel for you .. as said , they should pay all your expenses.. travel and hotel + meals .. or come and collect.

and I thought IH were the Rolls Royce of convertors.. :(

certainly should be at the price..

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you everyone for your kind words, we certainly expected better having paid the premium price. We did look at Murvi but we particularly wanted a rear lounge and for both front seats to swivel round. The bits that are finished are very nice!
We are avoiding naming the dealer but as you can imagine after 4 weeks of chasing we are losing patience. We accept that people make mistakes but it's how things are sorted that makes all the difference.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
your contact is with the dealer I believe ..when I had a big problem that needed to be sorted at the manufactures.. had to take van back to dealers and van was sent back on low loader to manufactures .

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Get them to come and pick it up. Many dealers have "retired" people that collect and deliver MH's. Usually it's a matter of picking them up from a local station.

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
When we had a problem with our motorhome (masses of black smoke turbo had eaten itself) the van was still drivable (we were in portugal at the time) but with no power and the fuel economy dropped to 16 MPG. We called our dealer Fullers in nottingham, expecting a right old fight, but to our suprise they arranged to collect the motorhome once we got repatriated, they left us a courtesy car and then dropped the van back to our home (several hundred mile round trip) when fixed, the van had been valeted, the fuel tank was full and they fixed a few other bits and bobs i.e trim etc without asking.
All done by a dealer who had supplied the motorhome second hand and months previous to the problem occuring.
I would expect this service at the very least, from a new supplying dealer.
Cheers Andy.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Carolyn
Your contract of sale is with the dealer not the manufacturer \ converter.
On that basis the dealer is responsible for all repairs and these should be at no cost or inconvenience to yourselves. If the vehicle requires to be returned to the manufacturer \ converter it is at the dealers expense.
Given the travelling distance to the manufacturer \ converter make sure the dealer transports, not drives, it to there. Why should it have an "extra" 1k miles on the clock when you get it back?

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi Carolyn,
You may have already sorted things out but just in case you have not.
You cannot let this situation continue, if what you ordered and paid for has not been delivered to you as contracted to do so, then the dealer is responsible to make amends or to give you your money back. Hopefully the situation does not reach this point but if nothing is happening from the dealer then write them a letter explaining the situation as you see it. If no proper response to this then visit citizens advice and follow their advice.
Good luck
Etap

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
DO NOT LET THEM COLLECT AND DRIVE IT BACK !!. I wish i had a pound for every new M/home,on trade plates,+C/vans being delivered to dealers,that passed me on all types of roads,being driven in,"Hot pursuit" module.
It may be a bind,but organise some way of taking the vehicle and being close to see the work in progress on your motor,they may get it wrong a second time,so be there.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and ideas, the dealer is supposed to be phoning me tomorrow with their suggested plan to sort it all out, ironically they were not even answering my emails by last week and it took an email to ih to make any progress. As you can imagine I am not holding my breath.

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
No phonecall so 2 further emails to dealer with no response, emailed ih friday morning and dealer phoned in the afternoon! The dealer is collecting van today(monday) and they will get the fitter from ih to go to them. They don't know how long it will take, have told them I need it back within 2 weeks as I have booked to take Nick away to celebrate his 60th plus retirement. If this does not go well I will go mad. I will put a review on once we are done as I would not recommend the dealer at all, they don't even seem to realise that simple replies to emails stops escalation of frustration. This retirement has mellowed me a bit too much, if I was still working I would have taken my hatchet to them by now, metaphorically speaking of course.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
No phonecall so 2 further emails to dealer with no response, emailed ih friday morning and dealer phoned in the afternoon! The dealer is collecting van today(monday) and they will get the fitter from ih to go to them. They don't know how long it will take, have told them I need it back within 2 weeks as I have booked to take Nick away to celebrate his 60th plus retirement. If this does not go well I will go mad. I will put a review on once we are done as I would not recommend the dealer at all, they don't even seem to realise that simple replies to emails stops escalation of frustration. This retirement has mellowed me a bit too much, if I was still working I would have taken my hatchet to them by now, metaphorically speaking of course.

Maybe you should have said need it back in one week rather than your final deadline?
Make sure you put the above in writing to them stating time is of the essence and failure to meet the agreed deadline is unacceptable. It may also be prudent to advise them that you will hold them responsible for any additional costs to yourselves if they fail to deliver on, or prior to, the agreed timeframe. Whether you would get anywhere with this though........
Given ih seem to push them along when you escalate I would also think about cc ing them into your e-mail.
Hope it does go well for you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back