Don`t get caught out.... (1 Viewer)

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Is there any way you can check online that the road fund has been paid and is active?

Just received cheque yesterday for tax from previous MH and would just like confirmation that new one has tax (paid at dealers)

Kath

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Is there any way you can check online that the road fund has been paid and is active?

Yes, if you GOOGLE "road tax check" you will go to .gov site and enter reg no and make and it will let you know tax expiry and mot expiry dates (y)

oops beat me to it pad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am in a nightmare situation at the moment
I bought the Goldwing from a dealer a week and a half ago
It had been on a private plate ..
The dealer has sent off the paperwork and as a dealer he knew what the new reg number was gonna be and made up a new plate for the bike

I still have nothing from the DVLA though.. Which means I am neither able to tax it or sorn the thing.. ( although it does have an MOT apparently and I insured it even before it arrived )

Basically I am breaking the law but it is entirely the fault of the DVLA ...

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Well I have tried all three vehicles that we have - all have valid mot's, insurance and road tax but none come up - details unknown! Is it the website as it's beta version at present.

Kath

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

I think it is a piggin stupid situation to make money...:swear2:

They say it is so no one will be able to drive an untaxed vehicle...

You only have to look at the tax disc with the old system to know if it was or isn`t taxed..:mad:

Why mend something that aint broke.. :doh:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have to say I am amazed at the number of people who seemed to be unaware of this rule change, even the dealer who we bought our van from didn't know about it. When we bought the van, I told him I needed the new keeper reference number so I could tax it (transaction was done over the phone). He seemed to think that because it had 2 months to run on tax I didn't need to!
Anyway, that aside, the incompetence of DVLA knows no bounds, and I think I can beat Jaws' story :D
Firstly, our van. When we got the documentation from the dealer, we filled in all the relevant details. We know the dealer well, so he just handed over the V5 to me, rather than filling it in himself. I sent it off the same day first class post, and retained the new keeper supplement. 2 weeks later we have heard nothing, so I contact DVLA and enquire where our new V5 is. They inform me that the current keeper hasn't informed them of the sale. Of course I knew that this wasn't true, since I did it myself, and I told them about this.
They then inform me that I will have to pay to get a new V5, to which I protested and refused. They then agreed that I could send the new keeper supplement with a covering letter and they would issue the V5 free. I photocopied the new keeper supplement, and sent off the information recorded post.
Another 2 weeks pass, and once again no V5, so I contact them again. Again I am told that nothing has been received, this time however, I gave them the date and time and the name of the person who accepted the delivery. 2 days later my V5 finally arrived in the post!
Better even than that though, my sister and brother in law recently moved house. They sent off the V5's for both of their cars to amend the address. A few days later 2 new V5's arrive in completely different names, but the addresses are correct. The V5's are both showing that there is a new keeper.
They contacted DVLA to inform them of the error, only to be told that there was nothing they could do, the V5's would have to be returned with a covering letter. A few days later 2 cheques arrive for the unused tax, made out to this non-existent person! Again DVLA are contacted, they say cash the cheques and re-apply for tax. Brother in law points out that he can't cash the cheques because they are in someone else's name. DVLA insist that they can now only talk to the person named on the V5, which would be tricky, since he doesn't exist.
Upshot is, 2 further V5's have been issued, showing a further change of keeper, and the cars have had to be re-taxed so that they don't get towed. Currently this is ongoing, DVLA insist that they have not made any errors and are refusing to update their records, so the brand new one owner car shows 3 previous keepers! And DVLA have received 2 lots of tax for the same period on both cars!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There are no words to describe the Dvla. There are, but not printable here but I have certainly used them all both on the phone & in emails to them over the last few years . They were absolutely useless & completely lazy when we first shipped the dvla down there to spread out the jobs. It really wanted burning down then.
Now it has metamorphosed into a stasi like , government money-making organisation that is still absolutely useless but now for different reasons & still wants torching.
You wouldn't mind if they actually knew what they were doing but in email replies 9 out of 10 don't even answer what was asked & any that do ,can't/won't commit themselves. Or in many cases they answer questions that you never asked ? :confused:
I'm fortunate in that if I have a query with them that becomes a problem ( that is normally every time ) I can use the EU's cross-border SOLVIT system & get them to whip some life into the useless tossers.:LOL:
Absolute scum , glad I only have to deal with them occasionally & not much at all now.
Another lot that are nearly as bad are Boris's LEZ mob. Not the ones who answer the telephone,who are basically very helpful but can actually do nothing & are really a line of defence like the old 'Attendance allowance' people put in place to placate the plebs that they didn't want to speak to.
No,the ones who vet everything - I'm sure that they are tied up with if not part of, the Dvla as the exhibit the same " we are right" mentality . Even when they have been proved wrong.
Well that's this afternoon's rant off me chest ! :mad:

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
I have just tried both our vehicles and the car comes up ok but the motorhome recently registered online does not show up.

Looks like a huge cock up

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
Just entered my MH reg number and answered Knaus to the manufacturer, result - Unknown!
Re-entered the same reg number and Fiat to the manufacturer this time it was recognised. The concept of an integrated A class is beyond the system o_O:unsure:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am in a nightmare situation at the moment
I bought the Goldwing from a dealer a week and a half ago
It had been on a private plate ..
The dealer has sent off the paperwork and as a dealer he knew what the new reg number was gonna be and made up a new plate for the bike

I still have nothing from the DVLA though.. Which means I am neither able to tax it or sorn the thing.. ( although it does have an MOT apparently and I insured it even before it arrived )

It was the dealer that was breaking the law, if you are going to retain the plate you can not sell the vehicle until it has been re-registered.

I fell foul of this a few years ago when I brought a vehicle that had been on a private plate, got a right load of grief from DVLA, finally got it sorted at a local office, thank goodness it was a few years ago when we had local offices.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we just cant win. and they charge us twice. for the same month. and they say its fair.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Just renewed mine.

Left the country in sept. Tax due end of march. Brother emailed me the reminder letter beginning of march.
Couple of days ago noticed disc and thought oh bu@*er, forgot to renew. So 10 days overdue went on website, all done for £165 (no fine, to my relief) and set up annual direct debit so I don't forget again.
With the new system I will not have to wait til we get back to uk to display the disc.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have checked and my vehicles are ok however the colour of my MH is incorrect. No sunrise really as it was wrong from day 1. Brand new van, metallic blue from manufacturer yet listed as white. I advised the DVLA by returning the V5 when I received it but they wouldn't accept my word, said the manufacturer had to inform them. Needless to say I have kept a copy of their letter and it is in the van just incase Mr plod stops me.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It was the dealer that was breaking the law, if you are going to retain the plate you can not sell the vehicle until it has been re-registered.

I fell foul of this a few years ago when I brought a vehicle that had been on a private plate, got a right load of grief from DVLA, finally got it sorted at a local office, thank goodness it was a few years ago when we had local offices.

Yes , quite right & the demise of the local offices is the icing on the cake !!

Have checked and my vehicles are ok however the colour of my MH is incorrect. No sunrise really as it was wrong from day 1. Brand new van, metallic blue from manufacturer yet listed as white. I advised the DVLA by returning the V5 when I received it but they wouldn't accept my word, said the manufacturer had to inform them. Needless to say I have kept a copy of their letter and it is in the van just incase Mr plod stops me.

Just send it back & tell them you have had it resprayed.(y):LOL:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Thanks for the heads up on this. I was not aware but luckily have not done any vehicle transactions lately!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Well I have tried all three vehicles that we have - all have valid mot's, insurance and road tax but none come up - details unknown! Is it the website as it's beta version at present.

Kath

I had the same problem with our car Kath. However the tax due notification arrived, I taxed it and it now shows on the system. Bugs in the wires I think.

Liked you post Daniel but only cos there is no option to offer commiserations mate !!

Same here.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
that will not matter a jot to them:(
Tell me about it !!
Of course the good thing is, should I fall foul of ANPR unit they will not know who the hell the bike belongs to either, and by the time they get to me it will ( hopefully !! ) have the VEL paid !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just entered my MH reg number and answered Knaus to the manufacturer, result - Unknown!
Re-entered the same reg number and Fiat to the manufacturer this time it was recognised. The concept of an integrated A class is beyond the system o_O:unsure:
... but the base chassis is still a Fiat and that is what is registered, not the body sat on it.

I've checked vehicles without any problem on the DVLA site and never had one 'refused', regardless of age/type.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
There are no words to describe the Dvla. There are, but not printable here but I have certainly used them all both on the phone & in emails to them over the last few years . They were absolutely useless & completely lazy when we first shipped the dvla down there to spread out the jobs. It really wanted burning down then.
Now it has metamorphosed into a stasi like , government money-making organisation that is still absolutely useless but now for different reasons & still wants torching.
You wouldn't mind if they actually knew what they were doing but in email replies 9 out of 10 don't even answer what was asked & any that do ,can't/won't commit themselves. Or in many cases they answer questions that you never asked ? :confused:
I'm fortunate in that if I have a query with them that becomes a problem ( that is normally every time ) I can use the EU's cross-border SOLVIT system & get them to whip some life into the useless tossers.:LOL:
Absolute scum , glad I only have to deal with them occasionally & not much at all now.
Another lot that are nearly as bad are Boris's LEZ mob. Not the ones who answer the telephone,who are basically very helpful but can actually do nothing & are really a line of defence like the old 'Attendance allowance' people put in place to placate the plebs that they didn't want to speak to.
No,the ones who vet everything - I'm sure that they are tied up with if not part of, the Dvla as the exhibit the same " we are right" mentality . Even when they have been proved wrong.
Well that's this afternoon's rant off me chest ! :mad:

Cracking rant gus and really enjoyed reading it!(y)(y)(y)(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Almost two weeks now since the paperwork was sent off to them.
Dealer foned em up this morning.. Apparently something was wrong with one of the forms they submitted.. DVLA dude said it was not their job ( rudely apparently ) to sort out other peoples mistakes and if the dealer had not contacted them nothing would ever have been done

So it looks like I will still not be able to put the vehicle stuck in my garage on SORN or indeed tax it for at least another couple of weeks..
And the DVLA do have all my details now, so I am now liable for any thing that happens, ( such as no SORN or tax ) even though I am completely stymied and can do neither

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back