'Finds' in a second hand van .. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have you bought a second hand van recently.. did you have any unexpected 'Finds' .. things hidden or forgotten about and left by the previous owner.. ?

Been exploring the nooks and crannies in the Hymer.. in the sink cupboard and under a false bottom, I found secreted away ten , yes ten packs of baby wipes.. and two small collapsible buckets.. bonus.

Under the L shaped bench seat.. the best find so far... an Electronic Digital Safe.. and not a cheap one.. it's solid .. bolted to the floor.. and it was open with the instructions inside on how to reset the code.. it has four AA batteries which were long dead.. dated 2012 .. so after fitting four fresh batteries I reset code and got it working... very useful for passports, cards, or other small valuable items..

Other useful things found in the garage..
Silver external and internal screens
Allay chevron board for bike rack
Awning tie down kit
Bag of bungee cords.. and other odds and sods

so what were your best 'finds' ?

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
After being told by the dealer that there was only one leisure battery, found another one in the designated space all connected and both have given me good service for the last 3 years (y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
After being told by the dealer that there was only one leisure battery, found another one in the designated space all connected and both have given me good service for the last 3 years (y)

Nice one..

I forgot to mention .. as did the dealer.. two 60watt solar panels, also a Strikeback alarm and a battery master, both fitted by Eddie Vanbitz

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
A very heavy "A" frame and a washing machine, have removed both.
Lots of packets of soy sauce (some had leaked) and a compass !
And worst of all a carpet under the recently laid wooden floor!!

Terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well Toni's new acquisition has revealed all manner of stuff.. Not weird stuff but...
I think at some stage the van had been owned by a couple of blokes who used it as a party bus..

There was extra sockets EVERY WHERE.. But not proper ones, oh no..
All they did was run extension leads all over the place.. Running the leads in mini-trunking stuck to the floor !! All surface mounted of course and a couple just run across the middle of the floor so you can trip up on them !
Silly multi coloured LED strip right round the top of all the cupboards, wired in such a way you either had to be on hook up or use the large inverter fitted..
The inverter was interesting too
Instead of doing a proper job, they just ran 3 MORE extension leads.. depending on what part of the van you wanted 220 v in depended on which extension lead you plugged in !!!

Four MASSIVE speaker cabinets ( the rear two had been GLUED to the wall using that black mastic used to fit windscreens ( fortunately Lee is a painter decorator so will be replacing the wall covering in the back of the van where all the goo is )

An audio video system ( all wired but no actually tv or anything else ) the like of which I have only only seen in the most expensive vehicles.. Sadly, whilst it is all singing and dancing the whole mess is surface mounted yet again ( again in mini-trunking ) so is all coming out

Oh.. and a well used bong too !!!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Nothing too interesting, well used pair of flip flops, a dust pan and brush, personal washing equipment (shower scrubber thing on a cord), awning tie down kit.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That might be mine, can you describe it please ?

Terry
Nahh.. it was a real crappy one.. not a proper bong....couple of plastic Fanta bottle.. I spose it would have worked of course ( even stone heads canna really muck up a 'bucket' ! )

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Nahh.. it was a real crappy one.. not a proper bong....couple of plastic Fanta bottle.. I spose it would have worked of course ( even stone heads canna really muck up a 'bucket' ! )

What a disappointment, my wife has been looking for my "bong" for a while!

Terry :dance:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our latest van came fully kitted out ready for use, all they removed was their personal clothing, bike and wallet! In the garage was an oven, microwave, table, chairs etc. and a new full size motorhome cover.

As well as this it already came with refillable gas, solar panel, satellite and Avtex TV so was already a bargain.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our last caravan came from a couple who were getting divorced, it was parked on the husband's mum's drive as he was working away. It came with everything included, even tea towels but no FB pies. :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
All of this makes our find fairly insignificant. In the small cupboard thing under the oven, was 4 cans of Speckled Hen! Nice (y)

They got consumed in the first voyage. I was hoping for more extraordinary finds, considering it is an ex-rental, but the cleaning staff did a fairly thorough job on it.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We were surprised with ours - three DVD's, about 20 CD's (bit weird music though), foot-pump and torque wrench. Under the U shaped seats, a full luxury - matching carpet set, great awning, pillows, two windbreaks, two unused sleeping bags, a very nice fishing rod/reel combo and some toilet/grey/waste/washing chemicals (new). She also had two (one full, one nearly full) gas tanks, a new spare tyre, a full tool set, jacks and chocks, an unopened Euro breakdown kit, multitudes of manuals and books.
Under the dinette seating were a full set of screw up steadies, re-chargeable torch with charger, fairy liquid and a very 'soiled' pair of pants stuffed behind the steady box (nice)!(n) Over the time we have also come across several socks, not one pair though.:(
I inherited two very nice tee shirts and in total about £3.00 in change and about 6-7 Euro.

Quite a bit of kit there.

Trikeman.;)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Not found but 'lost'.

If anyone bought a used Autoquest 180 in the past 12 months (2010 reg) could you check if there's a stick-on sign in the rear window which has my forum signature on it.

Thanks

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Amongst other stuff-----a new set of snow chains and an extension for the roof gas flue to use in snow (to prevent snow smothering the flue for the heating system)-----but the van is NOT fitted with winter/all season tyres----yet
Nigel & Pamala

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Two hi-vis waistcoats in the door pocket & some rubber strap things in a locker, no idea what they are but the dog took a liking to one and had a chew on it !

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As well as items incidental to MH'ing, my best find was secreted away under a cupboard base. It was the Fiat Red Master key (which the last owner couldn't give a monkey's about when asked for it), and out of date credit and debit cards, in the name of the original owner. He was obviously a belt and braces sort of chap. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

Jul 21, 2013
Vienne France
Funster No
MH
VW T4 & MC LOUIS 671
Exp
2013 / 2004
Not as interesting as most of the other posts but ours came with battery master,fiamma top box, 4 bike rack , tow bar, a save the space sign, air con unit, cup and plate holders. Oh and ladder box of fuses dodgy map cd.

Last edited:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
when I worked in a MH dealership we found all kinds of stuff but one stood out in my mind, running hands across the tops of cupboards only to find a huge double sided knife :eek::eek::eek:
Won't do that again in a hurry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back