wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
All you people on here who have or had RV`s I want to know roughly what to expect running a 6.5 litre diesel, I just bid a bloke on a Georgie Boy Pursuit with a six and a half litre turbo diesel in. I know I am not going to use it as a daily runabout but just need a bit of info from my learned collegues
and I am not a traffic light racer either . Thanks in advance:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It could be as low as 6mpg or as high as 12mpg for a diesel. I pegged my bus at 10mpg when doing it steady. I have heard of people saying they get 14-16mpg from a diesel of that size/type but I don't believe them :confused:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
I would hope that our 39ft Discovery with 7.2lt Caterpillar will average 10mpg (y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We had that engine in a 36ft Damon running at just over 7 tonnes at 57mph with the trucks best was 12mpg. If you push it over 60 mph can be as bad as 7mpg.
Lovely old engine very basic and a bit noisy but very reliable did a lot of miles in ours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wasp

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Wow that`s an eye opener but like I said it wont be a daily driver so I can probably cope with that the holidays will hammer the wallet but we shall see. Thanks for the comments I knew I could trust you to give the heads up (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Pretty good example of: if you have to ask the price.....can you afford it?:D

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our RV on LPG would cost us £66 for the 200 miles but boy it's so much worth it for the space , comfort and style .
We now are really feeling the loss with an enforced downgrade to a white van :crying::crying:
If you can afford an RV , travel and camp in style
(y)

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Hired a similar RV in Canada. Averaged 7 mpg but the fuel was cheap. Although the engines are large they do not feel powerful and are definitely not efficient.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
OTOH--------our 5.9 Cummins powered Dodge gave the same MPG as our 2.8 Iveco--at the same weight----but at higher speed AND with substantially more BHP & torque.
Around 20MPG
I had to drive the Dodge yesterday--first time since Nov.----I really don't think we can get rid of it---it has been SOOO good to us:cry::cry::cry:
Nigel & Pamala

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Is that the engine affectionately known as the 'haymaker ' .. as it's fitted in a lot of US combine harvesters ?

Think it could be yeah very basic no refinement but very reliable seem to remember reading it started life as a petrol and got converted to diesel for agricultural use but that might not be right.

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Good point Sundowners. If the Canaderanians use US gallons as their standard then my figure would be 7m/usg.

My comment about power is from my experience of driving large engined vehicles in the US and Canada particularly when coupled to an auto gearbox. That is, when you press the go pedal there is the feeling and sound of a gathering of an awful lot of commotion with a disappointing lack of convertion into locomotion.

Now, if you are a petrol/oil head who has an enthusiasm for these lumbering great lumps, I totally 'get' it.
Personally I've always preferred small and efficient and appreciate that in the UK and Europe we are able to use engines which are typically 1/3 of the size of those used in the USofA to do a similar job.
I am also aware of the old motor sport enthusiasts saying that -'a good big'un will always beat a good little'un'.- which has often been proved right (rotten Devils).

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Good point Sundowners. If the Canaderanians use US gallons as their standard then my figure would be 7m/usg.

My comment about power is from my experience of driving large engined vehicles in the US and Canada particularly when coupled to an auto gearbox.

That is, when you press the go pedal there is the feeling and sound of a gathering of an awful lot of commotion with a disappointing lack of convertion into locomotion.

Now, if you are a petrol/oil head who has an enthusiasm for these lumbering great lumps, I totally 'get' it.
Personally I've always preferred small and efficient and appreciate that in the UK and Europe we are able to use engines which are typically 1/3 of the size of those used in the USofA to do a similar job.
I am also aware of the old motor sport enthusiasts saying that -'a good big'un will always beat a good little'un'.- which has often been proved right (rotten Devils).

Just love that quote.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Mine had the 5.9 cummins, 300bhp did about 8mpg but I did get about 11 mpg on a motorway trip once, but loads of smiles for miles and most important think of all the necter points your get, I miss them.:D

OP
OP
wasp

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
See my problem is ,now I want to take the grand kids out and they are a bit boisterous so I thought RV I dont do loads of miles only weekends here and there and a few weeks in France so am thinking I can budget for it, I may be wrong, anyway I can always sell it on , and it`s only ten grand .
Thanks again for the replies (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years

'they' also say 'there is no substitute for CUBES------------although I appreciate the Euro/Jap small, more highly tuned engines---------I still prefer to drive a more relaxed bigger/more powerful engine-------I don't think many 2.8 Iveco motors will cover a million miles like the fantastic 5.9 Cummins that is fitted in our Ram---ours is starting to bed in at 200+thousand miles------our last one had nearly 400 thousand miles on the clock when I sold it, and it still used no oil/water and ran like new.
Having said all that-----I am surprised at how well the 2.8 copes with our 6 ton van----we have yet to see how it handles those long steep hills
Nigel & Pamala

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We get 10.4 mpg but run on LPG at 56p litre. We only use the unleaded to start the engine so quite happy with running costs and the interior and storage space is brilliant.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We used to get 9/10 mpg from a 8.2 ltr Cummins in our Foretravel 32ft pusher, thought that was ok at the time......
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back