Sooo.. it s another step like thread ! LOL !! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I striped out the burner and feed pipes in the fridge freezer ..
This time actually removing the burner rather than cleaning it in situ
It was pretty clean to say the lest but I did take a wire brush to it just in case I was being blind or batchy..
After some in depth investigation I found the system should not have any sort of flow regulator fitted in the feed pipe in the back of the fridge.. So that was removed completely
In the burner end of the feed pipe is the actual jet..
Now I suspect it was that which may well have been causing the issue with the poor performance on gas
The hole is probably 3 or 4 thou'. It looked spotless but I gave it a good clean with a proper jet cleaner ( as used by many motorcycle mechanics ) .. I also discovered some grunge inside the open bore part of the jet where it attaches to the feed pipe.

Cleaned that out and washed it using raw alcohol ( in the van to remove tree sap as and when )
I replaced the actual feed pipe as the original one had had that restrictor widget half way along it.
Put it all back together, pressure tested for leaks and then fired it up
Immediately I could HEAR the difference
Before, you had to put your ear right up close to the burner before you could here it.. Yes, it was burning with a beautiful ice blue flame but it was quite small to say the least
Now, I can hear the burner working from about a foot away.. The flame is still spot on but it is at least 30% bigger

I put a few odds and sods in the freezer ( just to take up some volume ) and left it running
An hour later I returned to find everything running as it should.. Although no ice had formed in the freezer it was bloody cold in there as was the fridge compartment.

Only time will tell if the fix is good but I am very hopeful !

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I striped out the burner and feed pipes in the fridge freezer ..
This time actually removing the burner rather than cleaning it in situ
It was pretty clean to say the lest but I did take a wire brush to it just in case I was being blind or batchy..
After some in depth investigation I found the system should not have any sort of flow regulator fitted in the feed pipe in the back of the fridge.. So that was removed completely
In the burner end of the feed pipe is the actual jet..
Now I suspect it was that which may well have been causing the issue with the poor performance on gas
The hole is probably 3 or 4 thou'. It looked spotless but I gave it a good clean with a proper jet cleaner ( as used by many motorcycle mechanics ) .. I also discovered some grunge inside the open bore part of the jet where it attaches to the feed pipe.

Cleaned that out and washed it using raw alcohol ( in the van to remove tree sap as and when )
I replaced the actual feed pipe as the original one had had that restrictor widget half way along it.
Put it all back together, pressure tested for leaks and then fired it up
Immediately I could HEAR the difference
Before, you had to put your ear right up close to the burner before you could here it.. Yes, it was burning with a beautiful ice blue flame but it was quite small to say the least
Now, I can hear the burner working from about a foot away.. The flame is still spot on but it is at least 30% bigger

I put a few odds and sods in the freezer ( just to take up some volume ) and left it running
An hour later I returned to find everything running as it should.. Although no ice had formed in the freezer it was bloody cold in there as was the fridge compartment.

Only time will tell if the fix is good but I am very hopeful !
That is EXACTLY what I experienced - fooled by a flame that looked perfect but turned out to be too small. Good point about the noise - I noticed that too and it's probably a good indicator: if you can't hear it it probably needs a clean.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Also Absynth make the lust go blonder

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
but will it make the Honda go. but you are not putting my malt glen in it.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dunno but last time I drank the stuff it sure as hell made ME go.. Had the trots after getting squiffy on it !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I can do that !! Well I can in a couple of weeks time any way..
In fact I will be able to drink at Peterborough ( just ) as currently in the middle of a two week detox for the Atkins diet ( again LOL !! Proper yo yo dieter me.. get down to my weight and then spend a year stuffing my face .. Dont mind as I actually LOVE doing the atkins cos I can stuff my face with all my favourite grub, and the more I eat the more weight I lose ! )

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I stuffed my face so much last night at the Mandrin buffet. I am suffering today. but boy was it worth it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back