Banner Batteries - topping up (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I havewa couple of 110Ah Banner batteries that need topping up. For the life of me I can't get the tops off! Tried all sorts of way to unscew them, but all I am doing is distorting the plastic. Is there a knack to it please?

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Not stating the obvious but they are not the sealed for life type are they?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I had similar problems when we got our van 3 years ago. Use a coin of appropriate size (I use a 20p) rather than a screwdriver.
@Terry gave me a tip and that is to use a pair of pliers to grip the coin rather than your fingers.
Graham, thank you so much. Spot on with both tips. A 20p coin plus pliers worked a treat. Thank goodness we had a 20p coin here in Portugal.

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
When I top batteries up (and I have encountered your problem) the trick is, whatever your using to unscrew the caps, make sure it's thick enough to fit snuggly in the gap. We've probably all used a flat blade that's too thin and ended up chewing the head up. .. I found a large chunky flat blade that covers the width of the recess did the job for me, it helped that i applied a bit of downward pressure to avoid any slipping, but works well for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Banner sell a special tool to remove the caps but its about £20. You can make one yourself quite easily. Go to your local hardware shop and buy a couple of "T" shape cabinet support brackets. The thickness is a perfect fit but they are slightly too wide. A couple of secs with a bench grinder (or couple of mins with a metal file) sorts them out. I found a slightly rusty one lying around my garage.
Btool.jpg
See photo.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back