Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We are going to be staying out in our Motorhome soon for the first time. We have a "super" type pitch so will be hooking up to their electricity supply.
Can you please clarify
On hookup we will turn on the charger unit ?
And on the control panel would we use the leisure battery setting.?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We also have a Swift. If it's the same as ours, as still-nervous newbies this is our hook-up routine:
  • Make the hook-up (van then post to stop any possibility of arcing - that's the theory, don't know if it ever happens)
  • We have the fridge on Auto so once it switches to mains then we know the hook-up's done properly! (sometimes we forget when the post has a 'twist' socket)
  • Control panel - switch on power, pump, lights, leisure battery
  • Truma panel - switch on power, heating temperature, water temperature
Where have you decided to go?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We also have a Swift. If it's the same as ours, as still-nervous newbies this is our hook-up routine:
  • Make the hook-up (van then post to stop any possibility of arcing - that's the theory, don't know if it ever happens)
  • We have the fridge on Auto so once it switches to mains then we know the hook-up's done properly! (sometimes we forget when the post has a 'twist' socket)
  • Control panel - switch on power, pump, lights, leisure battery
  • Truma panel - switch on power, heating temperature, water temperature
Where have you decided to go?
Thank you for that. I am a bit nervous not hooked up before, only sat on roadside and used leisure battery.

As for where we are going I have no idea lol. It's my birthday on the weekend so my other half has booked it. She is putting post code in sat Nav and off we go lol.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thank you for that. I am a bit nervous not hooked up before, only sat on roadside and used leisure battery.
As for where we are going I have no idea lol. It's my birthday on the weekend so my other half has booked it. She is putting post code in sat Nav and off we go lol.
If you're on a site there will always be somebody to help - either another camper or site owner or warden (don't listen to the horror stories about wardens, it's highly unlikely you'll have a problem).

You'll have a great time, enjoy your birthday!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
If you're on a site there will always be somebody to help - either another camper or site owner or warden (don't listen to the horror stories about wardens, it's highly unlikely you'll have a problem).

You'll have a great time, enjoy your birthday!
Thankyou very much looking forward to it.

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Can't you do it at home ? You may have to buy a Brit 13A plug to round 16A socket but you should have one and they cost little.

Broken Link Removed
Hi. Yes I have one and I have hooked up at home before and turned charger on. However not used any appliances while at home. I was unsure as to what the control panel should be on when hooked up on site is should it be set to leisure battery ?

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I was unsure as to what the control panel should be on when hooked up on site is should it be set to leisure battery ?
If it's the same as ours you have a choice of supplying all the 12v items from either the leisure battery or the engine battery.
Normally you would be on the leisure battery and only switch to the engine battery in the case of discharged leisure battery for a short period as you will soon flatten that as well and may not be able to start your engine.
This should not happen on hook-up as the leisure battery will be kept fully charged.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If it's the same as ours you have a choice of supplying all the 12v items from either the leisure battery or the engine battery.

Seems a recipe for disaster to me, especially for a newbie, "we can't go anywhere but we have a full leisure battery, great".

>> This should not happen on hook-up as the leisure battery will be kept fully charged.

I don't know but is there no way to turn off the charging ( accidentally ) in a Swift. Does the charger charge leisure/starter depending on what you set ? If yes then there is a bit of sense in the design.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I don't know but is there no way to turn off the charging ( accidentally ) in a Swift. Does the charger charge leisure/starter depending on what you set ? If yes then there is a bit of sense in the design
Our m/h is an Autocruise, built by Swift .... the charger has an on/off switch on the Sargent box of tricks and when left on will automatically charge the engine battery once the leisure battery is full.

You can switch the charge manually between batteries.

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Seems a recipe for disaster to me, especially for a newbie, "we can't go anywhere but we have a full leisure battery, great".

>> This should not happen on hook-up as the leisure battery will be kept fully charged.

I don't know but is there no way to turn off the charging ( accidentally ) in a Swift. Does the charger charge leisure/starter depending on what you set ? If yes then there is a bit of sense in the design.

I think it could be a recipe for disaster, we've only used ours once and it was straight after the handover where it was drummed into us not to press that button and leave it on for too long otherwise we'd be in trouble, the controls take a bit of getting used to I have to say, I can't see there's a way to charge the starter, only a way to drain it if you press the wrong button

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Our m/h is an Autocruise, built by Swift .... the charger has an on/off switch on the Sargent box of tricks and when left on will automatically charge the engine battery once the leisure battery is full.

You can switch the charge manually between batteries.

That would be sensible, we have a bolero so I'm not sure whether that's the same or not

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you Dave. Really confused right now lol.

I'm in the same boat mate, a caravan electrics seems so much easier rather than the NASA type control panel in a MH :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I'm in the same boat mate, a caravan electrics seems so much easier rather than the NASA type control panel in a MH :D
I agree Dave. Glad it's not just me. Thought I was looking a right idiot for a minute

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Mark if your still not sure how it all works I will come to you tomorrow and run through it with you before you go. Have you still got my telephone number.
I think I have. Can I give you a ring in the morning. I have to work in the morning and aiming to leave about 1pm. Have to collect daughter on way.

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
The charger should already be on and no need for anyone to turn it off, when you connect your electric lead to site electrics usually on the electric s panel there is an indicator to show that site electrics are connected, so from then on all your mains electrics can be turned on, ie fridge, and you can use the 240v sockets, if no indicator then just try a 240v socket with a hair drier or something else to check you are on electrics. Sure you know this but, when you drive along the road only the vehicle engine battery is being charged, the leisure battery is only charged when you are on site connected to 240v electrics, (unless of course you have a solar panel).
Have a good weekend.
Etap

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We don't go near the Sargeant box, it automatically does what it does. We choose leisure rather than engine battery on the control panel over the door based on nothing really, as it will automatically charge both batteries when on EHU as well as running all the 240v sockets.

Have to admit I'm a bit confused about the 12v sockets - I thought they didn't work unless the engine was running? or do I have to select the engine battery?

Anyway @Mark5204 sounds like you'll have more than enough help if pops is coming to show you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
The charger should already be on and no need for anyone to turn it off, when you connect your electric lead to site electrics usually on the electric s panel there is an indicator to show that site electrics are connected, so from then on all your mains electrics can be turned on, ie fridge, and you can use the 240v sockets, if no indicator then just try a 240v socket with a hair drier or something else to check you are on electrics. Sure you know this but, when you drive along the road only the vehicle engine battery is being charged, the leisure battery is only charged when you are on site connected to 240v electrics, (unless of course you have a solar panel).
Have a good weekend.
Etap
Thank you very much for your response. I have a chap calling in tomorrow to run through everything with me. I have to say there are some great people on here Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back