Disappearing Dell (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Ordered a new Dell laptop last weekend. Sunday 1st to be precise.

Delivery via FedEx with estimated date of delivery between 5th and 9th. Spec all ok, price right, so went ahead and clicked the 'pay button'.....and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Decided to contact FedEx this morning to find out if my package was 'en route' or what. Gave them the id number and back came the reply, "that was delivered and signed for on Tuesday 3rd at 8.30am". You can imagine the chill those few words sent down my spine!

I told the guy at FedEx there was no way anything was delivered and signed for by me at that time.....i was on noon shift last week so still in bed at 8.30am!

I asked if he could email me a copy of my supposed signature which he did. Oddly enough the initial P for my christian name is similar to how i write mine, but the surname is nothing like how i do mine.

Needless to say i'm bloody fuming as it's obviously been nicked. Worse still, FedEx say they cannot do anything now until the drivers are in on Monday so i've got to wait until then! :Angry::Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Needless to say i'm bloody fuming as it's obviously been nicked. Worse still, FedEx say they cannot do anything now until the drivers are in on Monday so i've got to wait until then! :Angry::Angry:

Hi

I would be fuming too ... have you contacted Dell.. surely it's their responsibility to find out what happened and replace the stolen goods ?

Jim

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I asked if he could email me a copy of my supposed signature which he did. Oddly enough the initial P for my christian name is similar to how i write mine, but the surname is nothing like how i do mine.

Happened to me last year, but only tickets from Monza. I got the signature and time/date which were not mine of course and luckily I had a petrol receipt to prove I was a long way otherwise I think they were pointing the finger at me. They interviewed the driver "he cannot remember who signed for it". That was it. A clear case of fraud they ( not Fedex but another big un ) were not at all interested in pursuing.

Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Dell 'appears'

Hells teeth i don't bloody believe this!!! :whatthe:

Been out in my van this afternoon, arrived back about 4.30pm and decided as the weather was still pretty good i could get another coat of rust primer on a new wheel arch i replaced recently (can't do any final coat till the weather warms up).

When doing anything on my van i open the gate up at the back of my house by the garage.....it's the only time this gate is ever used to avoid walking through the house. What should i see but a big cardboard box by the back gate. :RollEyes:

Knew immediately what it was of course!

Mixed feelings....relieved that this laptop finally 'appeared', but bloody angry that the delivery guy forged my signature, left no note whatsoever indicating he had been and where the package was, not to mention that it's been sitting there outdoors since Tuesday morning. :Angry:

I'm still going to contact FedEx on monday and let them know and hopefully the idiot responsible will get his arse kicked....preferably out of the job. Laptop cost me over £500 and anyone could have walked off with the thing. :Angry:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
A bit of a result.

Is it damaged ?
Fortunately well packed (small box inside large outer box) and the laptop itself was in a thick sealed plastic bag in the small box.

I'll fire off at FedEx first thing Monday....then when i've finished with them i'll let the company whom i purchased from know. When FedEx's contract is up for renewal they might just think twice about using them again.

The sheer incompetence of the delivery driver staggered me.....but it also wouldn't surprise me in the least if these guys have crazy daily 'targets' to meet and get paid crap wages.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Yes ....He should have left a note/card through the letterbox....but.....

You've got It.

You haven't been ripped off...

And You're happy....Well I'd be anyway.

The sheer incompetence of the delivery driver staggered me.....but it also wouldn't surprise me in the least if these guys have crazy daily 'targets' to meet and get paid crap wages.
He could have taken it back to the depot.

Yes these drivers have delivery quotas to meet...I know that.He probably is getting paid S++t wages.BUT He got it to you.:thumb:

And he used his "initiative" to do it.

He could have taken it as his own, but didn't.

This guys got standards.Plus Probably a family to support.So what does it achieve to fire off at Fedex now...except another person on the dole?

You'd probably been more P++++d off having to collect from the depot on Monday.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

That does seem to be the case. I sometimes chat to some of them and the hours they work are plain silly. Welcome to the 21st century, at least in the private sector every job that can be is cut, then fire one or two more.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Yes ....He should have left a note/card through the letterbox....but.....

You've got It.

You haven't been ripped off...

And You're happy....Well I'd be anyway.

He could have taken it back to the depot.

Yes these drivers have delivery quotas to meet...I know that.He probably is getting paid S++t wages.BUT He got it to you.:thumb:

And he used his "initiative" to do it.

He could have taken it as his own, but didn't.

This guys got standards.Plus Probably a family to support.So what does it achieve to fire off at Fedex now...except another person on the dole?

You'd probably been more P++++d off having to collect from the depot on Monday.
Missing the point entirely AD.

1) Nobody in their right mind leaves over 500 quids worth of computer sitting on a driveway just waiting to pinched. For that reason alone i would suggest it makes more sense to return to depot which most usually do with a note left through the door for me to contact them. Had i been the delivery driver i would have thought that to be the sensible option rather than chance losing my job or risk the item being pinched.

2) Forging a recipients signature i would personally consider to be a dismissable offence (regarding postal items) or at the very least, disciplinary action in the form of a written warning.

If you think this guy has 'got standards', then either his are non-existent or yours are not that good either. And if he's 'got a family to support'....more the reason why he needs to ensure he does his job properly.
Unless of course he simply doesn't give a fig.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

1) Nobody in their right mind leaves over 500 quids worth of computer sitting on a driveway just waiting to pinched. For that reason alone i would suggest it makes more sense to return to depot which most usually do with a note left through the door for me to contact them. Had i been the delivery driver i would have thought that to be the sensible option rather than chance losing my job or risk the item being pinched.

2) Forging a recipients signature i would personally consider to be a dismissable offence (regarding postal items) or at the very least, disciplinary action in the form of a written warning.

If you think this guy has 'got standards', then either his are non-existent or yours are not that good either.:RollEyes::Doh::Doh::Doh:. And if he's 'got a family to support'....more the reason why he needs to ensure he does his job properly.
Unless of course he simply doesn't give a fig.

Apologies I thought the Parcel wasn't visible as you mentioned you didn't see it.

When doing anything on my van i open the gate up at the back of my house by the garage.....it's the only time this gate is ever used to avoid walking through the house. What should i see but a big cardboard box by the back gate. :RollEyes:
Yes Forging a sig Is unacceptable and they have normally got a neighbour to sign.

WHAT I meant is he left the parcel and didn't steal it........:Doh:

I thought this comment might raise a few reactions.....

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Is that a possibility ?

Neighbour does sign and take delivery, realises he may be out later so he might as well dump it where BG will obviously find it ?

My Friendly Delivery guy for UPS Always does this.

Mind you...I know him from my previous work deliveries as well.Very accommodating.:thumb:

The Fedex guy has done it as well.But then we have had a few deliveries in the past and he knows us.::bigsmile:

It's always under cover where no-one will spot it or with a neighbour.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

1) Nobody in their right mind leaves over 500 quids worth of computer sitting on a driveway just waiting to pinched.

Yes i agree he shouldnt have left it, especially without a note/card through your letter box.

on the other hand.....the guy was delivering a BOX, he had no idea what was in it. it could have been 1/2 a dozen wall tiles or a £3k rolex.

parcel force delivered my trailer bike ramp which had to be signed for.....no-one in so he left it in the porch hence no signature.

i reckon its common practice.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I might be wrong but are these guys not on piece work.. ?

If they ain't then they sure drive as though they are.. :Eeek:

A parcel returned is more work, more hassle, more time .. maybe less pay ?

Dunno, but I think he did what he thought was best but should have left a note.. or perhaps he did and it got blown away ..

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Apologies I thought the Parcel wasn't visible as you mentioned you didn't see it.
Wasn't visible to me as i never use that part of my drive which goes as far as the back of my house. Like most people, i have a front door and use that 99.9% of the time. Back gate is only ever used when doing anything on my van.

Whilst my house has locks both front and rear....my driveway doesn't and anyone could walk up there. Dumping any package/parcel there is simply unacceptable, irresponsible and inexcusable.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Is that a possibility ?

Neighbour does sign and take delivery, realises he may be out later so he might as well dump it where BG will obviously find it ?
I'm fortunate with the neighbour i have.

Elderly guy living alone, early riser and always up at the crack of dawn. Shifts my bin for me when i'm either at work or in bed and i've lost count of the numerous parcels he's signed for me and taken in. He always hangs on to them until i come back home then brings it round.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Don't tell the couriers that you've found it. Let them question the delivery person as to who signed for the package and wait for him to explain that he didn't get a signature.

The couriers will need to admit negligence and pay for the replacement which you could auction next year :winky:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
....on the other hand.....the guy was delivering a BOX, he had no idea what was in it. it could have been 1/2 a dozen wall tiles or a £3k rolex.
The box had the Dell logo on the side so most people would connect that with computers. OK it doesn't mean there definately is a computer in the box.....but what if there is? As you say, it could have been half a dozen wall tiles or a £3k Rolex (very big box for a watch though!). But thats a good point. The delivery driver cannot know the value of what he is dropping off. More the reason why he should ensure security.

I might be wrong but are these guys not on piece work.. ?

If they ain't then they sure drive as though they are.. :Eeek:

A parcel returned is more work, more hassle, more time .. maybe less pay ?

Dunno, but I think he did what he thought was best but should have left a note.. or perhaps he did and it got blown away ..
Probably are Jim. That has crossed my mind. I know all about production 'targets' and 'counts' expected to be met, and the consequences which result from people rushing often end up with the job having to be 're-worked', or worse still, meet with some horrendous accident.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Don't tell the couriers that you've found it. Let them question the delivery person as to who signed for the package and wait for him to explain that he didn't get a signature.

The couriers will need to admit negligence and pay for the replacement which you could auction next year :winky:
:roflmto:Already been suggested by a mate of mine.

But to be honest i'm relieved at finally getting this laptop and couldn't go through with something like that. To do that would make me almost as bad and dishonest as the dummy who delivered it, then forged my signature to make out i'd signed and received it.

But i won't let it go without telling FedEx what i think of such irresponsible actions.
What they do with him after that is up to them.

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
Similar experience, though not a computer - my OH has an old mobile home next to his cottage in Wales but he doesn't go in there very often, it's mainly for guests to sleep in and for storing firewood in the spare room. It has two doors but one is completely blocked off with a big bookcase right in front of it, so obviously is never used and it's supposed to be always locked. One evening OH decided to go sit in there for no particular reason, for a change of scenery or to watch the sun setting over the sea from a different angle than usual or something. While he was sitting in the living room a box on top of the bookcase caught his eye because he didn't remember putting a box up there, when he got it down he found it was a box of books that he'd ordered months and months before and he had been meaning to chase up to see why they hadn't arrived. Turned out the door behind the bookcase wasn't locked, so the courier must have called when nobody was in, tried every single door in the place and found that one unlocked, surely he must have thought it was a bit odd to open a door and find yourself staring at the back of a bookcase but anyway he'd plonked the parcel up on top and left, no note or anything. It could have been there undiscovered for literally years.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
having been a green & yellow van man i can confirm the wages are poor. it suited me as i was doing it on a casual basis. i told them what days i could work the following week and what months i would be away in the MH::bigsmile:

the main problem i found was that the drivers were on job & finish. this encouraged shortcuts as bulletguy found.

i knew that some of them were rushing round leaving parcels they shouldn't so they could go home & put their feet up for a couple of hours.

the company rules were that all parcels had to be signed for. sometimes you found a note saying please leave parcel in porch. if i could take the note away i left the parcel as requested until one day someone said the parcel wasn't there. i didn't leave any more parcels.

chatting to some drivers recently i found out that quite a few companies now have self employed drivers who are paid so much per parcel. therefore they don't want to have to go to an address more than once with a parcel and so human nature being what it is they leave it when they shouldn't.

i would make a complaint in writing to dell & fedex.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a £3k Rolex (very big box for a watch though!). But thats a good point. The delivery driver cannot know the value of what he is dropping off. More the reason why he should ensure security.

agreed, more care should have been taken.:Doh:

big box for a watch.......havent you heard of "very well packaged".....see it all the time in Ebay feedback :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back