throttle controlled electric bikes (1 Viewer)

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
I ve read all threads on electric bike section but cannot find anyone who has posted that has actually been fined for using a bike with a throttle. How risky is it ? Just had two new knees and am desperate to get back on a bike. However my confidence has gone and I'm gutted! Tried a volt Kensington and I must say james at the London branch was so patient and I actually managed to cycle after using throttle to start ! After reading of this throttle problem I decided this would be a waste of money as we want to cycle in Italy france Spain Austria Germany ..... Anywhere and everywhere ! I tried the kalkhoff pedal assist ..... Well I got on but I just couldn't turn pedal to get it going. So scared I'd fall off and knee hurt like mad! Major crisis of confidence. Need to know basically what my chances are of being fined which is why I need to hear from anyone who's actually been fined..... When where etc. Once I manage to set off I can actually cycle ( maybe not too far but Rome wasn't built in a day!) and didn't need the throttle but it's very presence gave me the confidence to cycle!

Really would welcome advice. THANKS

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If you have one of the crank driven bikes then there will be a walking button. This allows you to walk with the bike under power with heavy shopping for example, but it is limited to a very slow speed. This is legal in Europe. Now I have not tried it but perhaps it would be sufficient to get you going?

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
Pretty up to date with this info. IVS.ENQUIRIES@dft.gsi.gov.uk
This was the advice given by the DVLA to contact the above email address with your enquiry. I quote
"We have recently completed a review of the legislation and consulted on legislative changes that include an increase of maximum motor power from 200 watts to 250 watts, to harmonise with European rules.
Subject to final Parliamentary approval, the intention is that new regulations will come into force on 6th April"
Now it may be worth an email to them with the specific question relating to twist and go electric bikes.
Whilst in Spain last year there was quite a stir with a twist and go bike rider being fined 2000 euros. It went to the court of appeal and the fine upheld!!! You must also make sure you are covered for public liability on ANY electric bike. Your household policy MAY cover you whilst in the UK but most don't cover you abroad.
I cannot see individuals being fined at home with bikes purchased before the legistlation is passed, but Spain and Europe in general may be a different kettle of fish. A bit like 'A Frames' abroad if you are unlucky on the day! Good luck with your mobility.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Mrs BB, It will be amazing if someone replies who has been fined. You will of course get many a response from folks who met someone who knew someone who was fined. For what it is worth we have just returned from 2 months in Spain touring. My wife rode her AS bike everywhere and had many a chat with various levels of Police Officers ( Think its a uniform thing!) discussing everything including Ebikes and not one word of caution.
Cheers
Bernie & Rona

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have pedal assist Giant bikes,so,once I realised that the problem was only with throttle bikes I didn't read all of it-but,I got the impression that it was possible to be fined using a throttle bike without the necessary insurance documentation.Have you looked into obtaining said insurance ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have pedal assist Giant bikes,so,once I realised that the problem was only with throttle bikes I didn't read all of it-but,I got the impression that it was possible to be fined using a throttle bike without the necessary insurance documentation.Have you looked into obtaining said insurance ?

I have..... as the bikes are legal in the UK they do not have to be registered with the DVLA and do not require motor insurance in the same way a car / motor bike would. I was unable to even get a quote.

As the law is different in Europe (as far as throttles are concerned), in theory they need similar insurance to a car / motorbike BUT you need to insure the vehicle in your country of domicle.

I would be happy to register / insure my bike in the UK (think it's a good idea anyway) but it appears there is no mechanism to do this.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The third party insurance isn't a problem, its the "motor" insurance part to cover the throttle part outside the UK. For that you need a reg number to be quoted on the document.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Chances of being pulled with a throttle assist bike slim...but no denying the legal situation with them in mainland Europe ?

Throttle bikes may well be easy to get going but are pretty hopeless in most respects at anything else!lol crank drive bikes much more powerful and better for hill climbing as well, near silent, lighter. Better handling etc.....

Look for centre drive bikes from Bosch that also have a walk along throttle as Lillian suggested. Also and dont laugh! The answer maybe adult stabilisers... And yes they do exist and may well be the answer for you... And that serious!

I'm on my phone in spain otherwise I would do some research for you

Eddie

Last edited:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I was caught out with the scare mongering about throttle Ebike's last year, but after 6 weeks use in Benidorm I soon stopped worrying.
I will be leaving for Benidorm in 3 weeks and will be taking my Pro Rider throttle assist with me again.

John.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi Mrs be
I see that you live in Derbyshire I was there last week we visited parsley hay on the Tissington trail , there is a bike hire shop there and the young lad seemed very knowledgeable about e bikes and you can hire them there ,just a thought (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Scare moungering? lol An article was copied from a spanish newspaper in a thread on here, where women was pulled and prosecuted for riding a low powered moped as bike was not EN 15194 compliant. She refused to pay the huge fine and ended up in court where she ended up paying even more. Chance of it happening to you negligible.....

Anyway back on topic?

Broken Link Removed

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/walk-along-mode-2012-kalkhoff-agattu-8-panasonic.19190/

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I ve read all threads on electric bike section but cannot find anyone who has posted that has actually been fined for using a bike with a throttle. How risky is it ? Just had two new knees and am desperate to get back on a bike. However my confidence has gone and I'm gutted! Tried a volt Kensington and I must say james at the London branch was so patient and I actually managed to cycle after using throttle to start ! After reading of this throttle problem I decided this would be a waste of money as we want to cycle in Italy france Spain Austria Germany ..... Anywhere and everywhere ! I tried the kalkhoff pedal assist ..... Well I got on but I just couldn't turn pedal to get it going. So scared I'd fall off and knee hurt like mad! Major crisis of confidence. Need to know basically what my chances are of being fined which is why I need to hear from anyone who's actually been fined..... When where etc. Once I manage to set off I can actually cycle ( maybe not too far but Rome wasn't built in a day!) and didn't need the throttle but it's very presence gave me the confidence to cycle!

Really would welcome advice. THANKS
We've got two Volt bikes and they are brilliant!!
We've risden them across Europe and never been stopped
One thing to consider is that Volt bikes are very well engineered and as such are heavy to lift onto a bike rack even though the have an aluminium frame
We overcame this problem by removing the battery and using a tow bar mounted bike rack which is much closer to the ground
Best of luck.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This is from the Costa Blanca police website. Doesn't say anything about different types of electric bike.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
If you have one of the crank driven bikes then there will be a walking button. This allows you to walk with the bike under power with heavy shopping for example, but it is limited to a very slow speed. This is legal in Europe. Now I have not tried it but perhaps it would be sufficient to get you going?
Thanks .... The kalkhoff I tried had a walk assist button but I couldn't manage it .... My confidence rather than fault of system!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we want to cycle in Italy france Spain Austria Germany .

We have cycled hundreds of miles in all the above without problem. Soon to be cycling Germany/Italy. I'd be a touch uneasy in Spain right now.

There seems to be just once terrible case costing €€€€€€€ but for all we know it could have been an attitude problem for the one Brit involved.

On lake Garda, big signs "No Cycling", everyone cycles. Once a day Mr Plod arrives, goes "tut tut" and we get off. Mr Plod leaves, we all cycle.

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Chances of being pulled with a throttle assist bike slim...but no denying the legal situation with them in mainland Europe ?

Throttle bikes may well be easy to get going but are pretty hopeless in most respects at anything else!lol crank drive bikes much more powerful and better for hill climbing as well, near silent, lighter. Better handling etc.....

Look for centre drive bikes from Bosch that also have a walk along throttle as Lillian suggested. Also and dont laugh! The answer maybe adult stabilisers... And yes they do exist and may well be the answer for you... And that serious!

I'm on my phone in spain otherwise I would do some research for you

Eddie

Hey I'm not proud.... Already looked at stabilisers but £109 !!!! Trying other avenues first . Spent loads of time researching options ....just never found anyone who had actually been fined. Tried the crank drive belts on a boschsystem but it's my confidence and fear of falling that is biggest problem . Couldn't get past that first bit even with walk assist bit on. Agree hiring may be an option .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
This is from the Costa Blanca police website. Doesn't say anything about different types of electric bike.

Broken Link Removed

But its assuming all bikes are EN 15194 compliant and UK throttle assist are not...sorry

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
There seems to be just once terrible case costing €€€€€€€ but for all we know it could have been an attitude problem for the one Brit involved.

Obviously no one on this forum was actually there so we only have the newspaper report (or reports of the newspaper report) to go on. When I first heard of the case I was concerned but the more I think about it the less concerned I am, because if it is true in essence (and we have no reason to doubt that), it would have been easy just to put hands up and say sorry, pay the fine and be done with it. I do wonder of there had been "an incident" and this was the way that the authorities had made their feelings clear? Perhaps there has been some sort of history with this lady????

We will never get the full story, that's for sure.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Scare moungering? lol An article was copied from a spanish newspaper in a thread on here, where women was pulled and prosecuted for riding a low powered moped as bike was not EN 15194 compliant. She refused to pay the huge fine and ended up in court where she ended up paying even more. Chance of it happening to you negligible.....

Anyway back on topic?

Broken Link Removed

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/walk-along-mode-2012-kalkhoff-agattu-8-panasonic.19190/

Sorry,, but is thr the same sort of media that has reported gassings ? ( news papers !! Pah !!! )
We have used our ebikes for the past 8 years all over Europe
When visiting cities we invariably end up stopping to ask a police man directions or to get info, so aint exactly hiding what we are riding..

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
We have cycled hundreds of miles in all the above without problem. Soon to be cycling Germany/Italy. I'd be a touch uneasy in Spain right now.

On lake Garda, big signs "No Cycling", everyone cycles. Once a day Mr Plod arrives, goes "tut tut" and we get off. Mr Plod leaves, we all cycle.
Thanks .... We going to Garda this May en route for wedding in tuscany. What sort of bikes do you have?

OP
OP
MrsBB

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
Just found some more affordable ( cheap) adult stabilisers . Don't suppose anyone used them on an electric assist bike?? Desperation creeping in ....haha!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks .... The kalkhoff I tried had a walk assist button but I couldn't manage it .... My confidence rather than fault of system!

May take a while to master? Stabilisers will help I'm sure, if not return them...if they dont work in the hall :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks .... We going to Garda this May en route for wedding in tuscany. What sort of bikes do you have?

Two odd ones off ebay years ago. With throttle control ! They make a holiday.

We'll be in Peschiera del Garda from Jun 1.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back