LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Has anyone used an antenna with the 3 Huwai e160g dongle. If so are they any good do they improve connectivity and speed especially in remote areas

I have seen a couple available on the on the web and was wondering if they are worth the investment.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I tried one last year, unfortunaly my house has not coverage so got my money back, If ever they change the coverage I will certainly give it another looking at..

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Has anyone used an antenna with the 3 Huwai e160g dongle. If so are they any good do they improve connectivity and speed especially in remote areas

I have seen a couple available on the on the web and was wondering if they are worth the investment.

Have you got a link to the antenna ?

cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
Hello

Did you every get the information . We would be interested in a dongle that an antenna could be used with.

Thanks

motorhomer

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hello

Did you every get the information . We would be interested in a dongle that an antenna could be used with.

Thanks

motorhomer

Hi

My '3' dongle has an antenna port ..

if you Google 'dongle antenna' there are quite a few to look at , I haven't bothered yet as we have a free wifi at present

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
to improve sensitivity of a dongle use a USB extension cable and put the dongle out through the roof light. Extra height = increased signal dongle outside of the van = increased signal, worth trying sever different lengths to which works best for you. The dongle is your antenna. If all that fails and you want to get rid, chuck it at me.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I just bought me one of these beauties Link Removed will let you know how I get on with it after I get delivery tuesday ::bigsmile:

Boo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I just bought me one of these beauties Link Removed will let you know how I get on with it after I get delivery tuesday ::bigsmile:

Boo

Nice bit of kit.. but lets not confuse the thread by introducing WiFi antenna :Doh:

the original question is how to boost 3G / GPRS reception using a dongle.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
to improve sensitivity of a dongle use a USB extension cable and put the dongle out through the roof light. Extra height = increased signal dongle outside of the van = increased signal, worth trying sever different lengths to which works best for you. The dongle is your antenna. If all that fails and you want to get rid, chuck it at me.

That's exactly what we did with my previous company when the comms let us down.

Dongles don't have the best reception qualities so you need good coverage/signal strength anyway.USB cables do have an maximum length specified before they start introducing enough attenuation of the signal/power feed to the device, to start dropping out.

Hardly any antennae to speak of.....:Eeek:

Last edited:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
3 Dongle

I use a 3 Dongle.

I use it straight into the USB port.

I can access the Net at home and have used it when touring.

It works as well as a phone, you just need a reasonable signal. I was on the Net with just the first triangle and no bars on the reception only yesterday.

I cannot get any reception when I visit my sister-in-law just outside Aberdeen, but then I cannot use my T-Mobile phone either. Funny, Hubby can use his 3 phone so I might try the USB extension cable.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Yes that does work, but as AD said, too long and you lose attenuation defeating the object .. the 3 dongle comes with a short cable, about 1mt, I stick the dongle on the window with a bit of double sided tape, this improves reception remarkably.. up to about 3mt should be ok .. but have you seen the price of USB extension cables.. ! .. for really poor reception areas I think an external antenna is a better option ..

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I fitted a rooftop aerial a couple of years ago for my O2 dongle and it certainly makes a difference. Then I changed to a 3 dongle and it doesn't have an aerial socket :cry: but a couple of weeks ago I bought an adapter that is strapped around the dongle and connects to my aerial lead. No idea whether it will work or not, maybe find out at Newark. :Smile:

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Then I changed to a 3 dongle and it doesn't have an aerial socket :cry:

Hi Olley ..

that's a bit odd, Jan and I both have 3 dongles and there is an antenna socket.. hidden under a tiny flap on the side .. are you sure you haven't missed it ?

or maybe yours is an older dongle .. ? we bought ours in the past four months .

Jim

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
You cannot get a signal where there is not one available. In many areas it is a matter of maximising the signal you have. Extension cables are a play off between the increased signal caused by removing the dongle from within the attenuating structure of the motorhome and the attenuation caused by the cable Find what works for you. The optimum length depends on the savings made and hence the construction of the van. I have never personally used a dongle but do know radio signals. and different frequencies react differently to different materials. So a glass fibre van will react differently to an aluminium van, wood roof to metal or rubber etc. I am sure there are signal amplifiers out there and active antennas but you must find what works for you. but remember no signal in the first place, then no chance what ever you do. Good luck.
If anyone has a redundant dongle I will need one in order to keep up the photos for 365 album once the beast is out of its lair.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim I got mine about 9 months ago, and it definately doesn't have a socket, on one of the dongle forums they showed you how to break it open and wire one in! ::bigsmile:

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim I got mine about 9 months ago, and it definately doesn't have a socket, on one of the dongle forums they showed you how to break it open and wire one in! ::bigsmile:

Olley

Fair enough.. must be only the later models, maybe they had a lot of returns from 'breaking in' :whatthe:

I guess you 'passed' on that.. :roflmto::roflmto:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi to be honest I made a mistake, I should have gone for the T mobile web-an-walk pay as you go, rather than 3's contract. Since I got it I have hardly used it as we didn't go to many shows last year, and its mainly at them that we use it. I never use it abroad as its way tooooooooooooo expensive unless its an emergency. :Sad:

Olley

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,
A pal of mine who works at the Cambridge Science Park, has offered to make up a couple of antennas for my 3 Dongle and my unlocked Vodafone data card, but only if I can get a hold of the right connectors, as his company are unable to find them in any of their supplier catalogues. :Eeek: I don't even know what they are called, so what chance have I got?

Can anyone help please?

Cheers,

Jock.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi all,
A pal of mine who works at the Cambridge Science Park, has offered to make up a couple of antennas for my 3 Dongle and my unlocked Vodafone data card, but only if I can get a hold of the right connectors, as his company are unable to find them in any of their supplier catalogues. :Eeek: I don't even know what they are called, so what chance have I got?

Can anyone help please?

Cheers,

Jock.

Hi Jock

It's a MMCX Male crimp connector , I found some here ..

Link Removed

jim

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I agree with "wildman" I had to use 3 by 1 metre USB extension leads to put the dongle on the roof so i could pick a signal, and you can get 1 meter extension leads from the 99p shop

hope that helps

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock

It's a MMCX Male crimp connector , I found some here ..

Link Removed

jim
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that. Is that connector for the Options Data card, or the 3 Dongle? I need both connectors.

Cheers,

Jock.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that. Is that connector for the Options Data card, or the 3 Dongle? I need both connectors.

Cheers,

Jock.

Hi Jock.. to be truthful I'm not certain.. but I thought they were both the same.... unless someone else knows better.. ?
Also looks like the plug used on some sat navs for the external antenna.

Jim

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock.. to be truthful I'm not certain.. but I thought they were both the same.... unless someone else knows better.. ?
Also looks like the plug used on some sat navs for the external antenna.

Jim
Jim, my little Vodafone antenna (male connector), fits the datacard, but not the dongle, which appears to be a male connector.

This pack of MC male connectors appears to be the one needed for the Options data card.
Link Removed
This is the connector needed for the Huawei E160G Dongle antenna.
http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/62/f5/0b_1.JPG I can't find it on that web site you linked Jim

Jock.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim, my little Vodafone antenna (male connector), fits the datacard, but not the dongle, which appears to be a male connector.

Hi Jock

thanks for the info ..

so it's the right type of connector.. but one uses the male the other the female .. we learn every day ...
probably done deliberately so you can't use the data card antenna with the dongle..

Cheers
Jim

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock

thanks for the info ..

so it's the right type of connector.. but one uses the male the other the female .. we learn every day ...
probably done deliberately so you can't use the data card antenna with the dongle..

Cheers
Jim

Hi Jim,

I have just spoken to Panorama Antennas. They tell me that the connectors are as follows... CRC9 for the Huawei E160 G Dongle, and, RMCP for the Options/Vodafone Data card. However, they only sell the link leads with the correct connector for the type of data card, but with a FME connector on the other end, allowing a standard connection to the same antenna.

Here's a couple of links, but not for Panorama...Clip Antenna for Huawei USB Modems - CRC9 Connection, and, Clip Antenna for 3G Data Cards - RMCP Connection

I just need the connectors, but can't find a source on the web. :cry:

Jock.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks again Jock .. good luck with the search ..

Just a thought,

why not buy the lead with the correct plug for either the card or dongle and have your antenna guy chop off the redundant FME plug and join the two cables ?

Jim

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks again Jock .. good luck with the search ..

Just a thought,

why not buy the lead with the correct plug for either the card or dongle and have your antenna guy chop off the redundant FME plug and join the two cables ?

Jim
Now then Jim, why didn't I think of that. :Blush: TBH, I did think of the two connectors wired into one lead, but not quite the same arrangement as you suggest. :winky:

I'll hopefully speak to him later, (over a happy hour pint :thumb:), and suggest that to him.

Cheers,

Jock.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
to add my bit to this post......

in my van i ran a 5 meter standard usb lead (the type for connecting say a printer to a pooter) from the big roof light, along the eye level lockers, and to the place i usually sit when on the laptop,

the computers usb end is where i sit, the other end is in the roof vent, to this i fitted a usb A-B adaptor, this gets me a female usb connector on the end of the 5 meter cable just like on the side of the pooter,

i plug the dongle into that, and the other end into the lappy.

what it does for the signal.... i just bought the t-mobile payg dongle before the newbury show, parked on the general area just outside the main gate, dongle in the laptop, i got a 4 bar gprs signal, raise the blinds and that dropped to a 1 bar gprs signal (silver backed blinds, i'd just created a farriday cage, stopping most signals getting int othe van)

plug the dongle in the extension lead in the roof vent, and i got a signal varying between a 2 bar 3G and 1 bar HSDPA connection.

i'm right at the limit of the usb extension lead without needing an active repeater, 5 meters is the absolute max length, i could have got away with a 2 meter lead, but i prefer to sit on the left of the sofa... that's where the power points are anyway.

I also have a antenna on the roof, standard car phone job from a scrap car, this goes to a socket on the wall, and a short fly lead goes between this socket and the dongle... or it will when i get one with the right connector,

my fly lead is for my old t-mobile contract pcmcia data card, and dosent fit the new dongle.

i got the bits to connect to the antenna and fly leads from someone on ebay who sold bits to make wifi cantennas, (pringles can antennas) this was a fair few years ago, when wardriving was popular, prolly frowned upon nowadays, but i only wanted the antenna connector and fly lead anyway.

spindrifter

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Funster No
This is my first post - so go easy on me!

I have a 3 Dongle and use a 3 metre USB lead through roof light and have had very few signal strength or connection falures.

It seemed a cheap and convenient way to connect - and it works really well.

Thanks

David (Spindrifter) :Smile:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i do wonder what someone not upto speed with current terminoligy would make of all these posts, people hanging their dongle out of windows on campsites.... not to mention those boasting about dangeling them out of roof lights :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back