Toilet flush/dribble. (1 Viewer)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Hymer 584A minor problem, again. The flush in the van toilet is little more than a dribble and I wonder if anyone has an idea of what is causing it.
Is it possible to gently back flush the pan outlet to see if there is a blockage I wonder.
I ask this because after finding no water from the sink tap last week I dismantled drawers etc and got under with a torch to find nothing amiss.
Hours later the penny dropped, the tap filter was full of junk
clear.png
:whistle:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I think you have answered your own question. How did you manage to get 'junk' into your water?
If the tap filter was full of junk, what about the pump itself?
I assume that your toilet is a Thetford and that it is an electric pump system, from an immersed pump. If so, if the bathroom taps work, the toilet should flush. If the taps have enough pressure, the toilet should also have enough pressure as it is the same pump. I would first expect any blockage to be in the flush outlet at the top of the pan unless you have another filter to clear. It may be possible to open a pipe under the van if it is not winterised to check the pressure.
Alan

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
The junk that I referred to was, I assume, tiny pieces of whatever it is that dries out in the inaccessible parts of the water system when said system is drained over winter.
I always drain the system and then flush it with a sterilizing solution, always pretty meticulous so it is an irritation.
thanks again.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
What sterilizing solution do you use? I realise you may be using a non-bleach product, but compounds like Milton can damage seals which might lead to pressure loss although I don't think that applies here as it would probably affect the whole system and might also cause leaks. Just a warning of possible future problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I don't normally flush mine with anything as I drain down completely after each trip. Also, mains water throughout Europe contains chlorine in very dilute solution so the tank and pipes are sterilised each time you fill the system. (The chlorine concentration is so small as the present no effective risk to the seals.)
If you feel uneasy at my approach and want to flush the system with a steriliser, I would suggest this http://www.leisurelines.net/tankkleen-fresh-water-tank-cleaner--steriliser-85-p.asp
I have used it once a couple of years ago (and still have half a pot in the garage to use again one day).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Could be the one way valve I'm sure there is one inline with the toilet to stop any back syphon to the fresh water tank.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Really? I was going to flush my system with Milton! What should I use then?

Cheers

KH
White wine vinegar, Truma used to recommend for descaling the boiler, until they brought out their own cleaner. We always stock up in France 33 cents/Lt.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for all replies, I sterilizing the system with the usual tablets I have always used.
I forget the name of them but I bought them from a guy on Facts, forget his name also at present
clear.png

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you are referring to 'Zappy', I think his tablets were pretty heavy-duty chlorine based.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I flush my system through with a gallon of white vinegar every two years, mainly for the boiler. I buy it on the net and get quite a lot at a time, as it is cheap but carriage is expensive.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Anything chlorine based/Milton will invalidate your Truma warranty and start to rot the stainless steel inside the boiler. I use the same stuff that it is used to sterilise home beer/wine making equipment and a tub of that is cheap on Ebay. I think its called sodium metabisulphite

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Very interesting! I have the same problem with my Hymer. I've asked the dealer to investigate, they changed the water pump, but I still don't get a satisfactory flush. The water does not complete a circuit around the toilet bowl and often finishes at "twenty to" (as on a clock face) position.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hymer 584A minor problem, again. The flush in the van toilet is little more than a dribble and I wonder if anyone has an idea of what is causing it.
Is it possible to gently back flush the pan outlet to see if there is a blockage I wonder.
I ask this because after finding no water from the sink tap last week I dismantled drawers etc and got under with a torch to find nothing amiss.
Hours later the penny dropped, the tap filter was full of junk
clear.png
:whistle:
Not a blockage, I think, but either the electro magnetic (12 volt) one way valve that controls the water direction to the loo, or the relay next to it, or both, or lastly, the spade connectors that they use. Take out the toilet roll holder, look down, (Thetford C2/C3/C4), and you can see both items, even get a hand to them. :)
The one way valve does have a filter fitted on the input water side.......Check that as well.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Tootles
Many thanks for that, my van layout is obviously different to your imagining because the toilet roll holder is/was simply screwed to the wall, before I removed it.
I will try and investigate tomorrow at lunch break, thanks again.
Norman.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Tootles
Many thanks for that, my van layout is obviously different to your imagining because the toilet roll holder is/was simply screwed to the wall, before I removed it.
I will try and investigate tomorrow at lunch break, thanks again.
Norman.
Sorry Norman, thought you had the early model. Even so, same problem, but not sure on your access. (y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Really? I was going to flush my system with Milton! What should I use then?

Cheers

KH
I have never flushed my system theirs enough cloren in tap water to take care of any thing
bill
just drain down and don't levee stale water in your tank
bill

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Tootles,
No need to apologize, I asked the question and hoped for lots of advice, and that I got. Many thanks.
My present 584 is a 2006 model, my previous 584 was a 1999.
Norman.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Dribble is pee@@@ me off :)

Undid the inlet to the toilet then stupidly pressed the flush button, more than enough water to flood the locker compartment:whistle: The pump is working as it should (y) Syringe full of water flushed up the tube towards the bowl and also down from bowl to open end, now in a bucket :whistle: Positive flow both ways, then blew up the tube towards the bowl.

Result of all this when I reconnected the tubing, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble :LOL: Also got a sore throat now, wonder why that can be :oops:

Give up as it is getting dark, did I mention the indicator that doesn't work :rolleyes:

Have fun :unsure:

Norman.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We had a similar problem this time last year ....slow flow through taps and loo flush virtually non existent ....tried all sorts eventually we were advised by someone on here to put a non return valve in the pipe after the reich pump......amazing result good flow through taps and loo flush.
I seem to remember that the initial problem we had was to do with the truma hot water system but the loo flush and tap flow improved dramatically after fitting the non return valve.

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Does the pump in your Hymer have a non-return valve? It is in the outlet spigot from the pump. There are two versions, with and without NRV. The Hymer needs the one with as in this link:
Link Removed

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for the replies, I would have thought that if the system has worked correctly up until now then there shouldn't be a need for an NRV, however as davanne has just posted :confused:

I will have to check another day, I am assuming that it is possible to simply buy an NRV instead of another pump with said item, many thanks once again.

Norman.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for the replies, I would have thought that if the system has worked correctly up until now then there shouldn't be a need for an NRV, however as davanne has just posted :confused:

I will have to check another day, I am assuming that it is possible to simply buy an NRV instead of another pump with said item, many thanks once again.

Norman.
Yes Norman we just bought the non return valve from local motorhome accessory shop and cut the pipe put in the nrv and hey presto we had far better pressure .
I had thought the loo flush was rather feeble when we first bought the motorhome .....incidently it is a TEC which are made by Hymer.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
davanne,

Thanks again, obviously the way to go as I have always thought that the flush was a feeble affair, I need an accessory shop then (y)

Norman.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Check first whether your pump has the NRV. If not, there is very little headroom in which to fit a separate one. The pipe from which the pump hangs in the tank is only a couple of centimetres long in mine.
From your earlier description I would be surprised if this is the problem. I would suspect the valve under the Thetford bowl.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back