Europe next winter (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Now that we're no longer shackled to the work treadmill we don't want to spend another whole cold grey winter in the UK. We haven't travelled much in the MH yet, owned it 2 years and been to France 3 times but nowhere else and no long trips. So I seek advice, views etc.
I understand many campsites close in winter and ones that stay open get very busy/full up. We don't want to stay in one place for weeks on end and we want to stay on mainland Europe (no Morocco).
So will we be able to spend several months during winter without any firm plans, using aires etc? Any particular things to consider? Our van is not fully winterised but has frost protection pack.
I'm assuming southern Spain, Portugal are the areas to head for.

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
The algarve and the costa del sol are very motorhome friendly, it is also the best place to be for the wintersun and climate. I would not rule out morroco and keep an open mind as it is a motorhome haven and extreamly cheap.
We winter out every year and divide our 5/6 months between the 3, as we also do not like to stay in one place for weeks on end
You are in for a great retirement we have never had so much fun. My other half flys home every 4 weeks or so for a few days as she misses the grand kids, but this year our daughters flew out to us with the grand kids and had a winter break themselves.
Happy touring
Andy.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think you have answered your own question..
You dont want cold grey... So Spain and Portugal it is...
BUT. REMEMBER. it's winter in those places to so not everyday is all glourious sunshine and the nights can get cold as well. !
Just head off with an ACSI book, stop off and have say maybe a week here and there dependant on weather and space availability. Once you have visited a few places you will have a better idea for the next trip and know places you prefer.
Ref. Aires in Spain / Portugal. Many are private and not like those in France. They can be very packed and you can pay almost as much as a decent campsite pitch.
Just go, it's amazing the advise you will pick up once you are travelling...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Is only the second year we've done this. Lovely to escape the winter weather.
Lots and lots of us for tbe same but still room for its.
We've only been back a week but wish we were still there. . Once you have done it once hoy will want to do it all the time. So easy to drive and park over there. We didn't freeze. We have in insulated our water tanks but didn't need to. Only in the Algarve mind.
You won't regret doing it. Met loads of lovely people.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Now that we're no longer shackled to the work treadmill we don't want to spend another whole cold grey winter in the UK. We haven't travelled much in the MH yet, owned it 2 years and been to France 3 times but nowhere else and no long trips. So I seek advice, views etc.
I understand many campsites close in winter and ones that stay open get very busy/full up. We don't want to stay in one place for weeks on end and we want to stay on mainland Europe (no Morocco).
So will we be able to spend several months during winter without any firm plans, using aires etc? Any particular things to consider? Our van is not fully winterised but has frost protection pack.
I'm assuming southern Spain, Portugal are the areas to head for.

We are in the same boat or maybe on the same boat as yourselfs. We are planning on going away at the end of October for 3/4 months to get away from the winter here. Plan on docking in Rosscoff then driving down through France into Spain and then Portagal. Don't want to be sat on the same site for months on end like to move about. Might see you about come the winter. (y)

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for replies, we'll be having some trips in the meantime but I'm really looking forward to escaping next winter. I know many do it and are probably groaning "not another one"!
Andy - point taken re Morocco and won't rule anything out.
tonka - didn't know that about aires in Spain/Portugal so good info

Funster sticker on windscreen, smile on faces and hoping to meet some fellow funsters.

Karen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: We want to try a winter in the sun as well and have learned a lot from fellow funsters who post their adventures on here. So with a bit of luck and good fortune we will also be somehwere in France or Spain come the winter here, with our funster sticker on the windscreen, smiles on our faces, waving :hi: madly at other motorhomes and hoping to meet some fellow funsters too ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back