Cable Size Info Please (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I want to install a 12 volt socket,fused and directly off the leisure batteries and a second leisure battery. The socket will be within 1M of the batteries. Load normally 25mA.
Also battery to battery cable size please -they will directly beside each other.

Just wish I could remember my whole one year of electrical engineering study some 40 years ago but I can't!(sound like Orville!)

Help please with cable sizes and appropriate fuse!
Thank you in advance
Ian

Last edited:
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Are you sure of the 25mamp load. It is exceptionally low to be concerned regarding cale size..
Yes it's simply to run an electronic mouse repeller and that is it's stated load
Ian

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Something like this for the socket: Broken Link Removed
With say a 5 amp fuse.
Connect the batteries with the same size cable as currently connecting the existing battery, which should be something like a typical jump lead.

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Connect the batteries with the same size cable as currently connecting the existing battery, which should be something like a typical jump lead.

That is an ESSENTIAL. IF connecting batteries to form a "Bank" the cable BETWEEN batteries Must be adequate to conduct the maximum current. otherwise a "Big Draw" from one could cause the connecting cable to overheat (a Bit like your Toaster) With potential for Fire and or explosion.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
That is an ESSENTIAL. IF connecting batteries to form a "Bank" the cable BETWEEN batteries Must be adequate to conduct the maximum current. otherwise a "Big Draw" from one could cause the connecting cable to overheat (a Bit like your Toaster) With potential for Fire and or explosion.

Pete
Was intending using 25mm cable for this the batteries will be immediately together. Will this be ok?
Thanks Ian

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wire the socket for its full potential....10 or 15amps depending on type bought.

Doing that you are then covered for any eventuallity.

1 mtr from source should be ok in 1.5mm or 2.5mm cable

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Was intending using 25mm cable for this the batteries will be immediately together. Will this be ok?
Thanks Ian
25mm2 cable would be suitably oversized for most motorhomes, however you need to fuse the positive in case an accident allows it to short to ground. also buy the cables already terminated for you unless you have suitable crimping equipment.

having said that, the most common battery cable size is 16mm2 and will handle up to 110amps. tonnes of these on ebay £3<. again it needs to include a fuse for safety if long enough to touch earth if it became disconnected

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
25mm2 cable would be suitably oversized for most motorhomes, however you need to fuse the positive in case an accident allows it to short to ground. also buy the cables already terminated for you unless you have suitable crimping equipment.

having said that, the most common battery cable size is 16mm2 and will handle up to 110amps. tonnes of these on ebay £3<. again it needs to include a fuse for safety if long enough to touch earth if it became disconnected
Thank you for this--- really appreciate the kind help you and the others on this great site freely provide
Ian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

Can I ask if I've got as planned two 110 amp batteries what size should the fuse be?
Thanks Ian

Upvote 0

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I have 20A on mine which should prevent too much excitement happening when I don't want it to. I also wanted to limit the juice floating about and protect my Solar controller which is a 20A jobbie.

I believe 25A is the standard.

We are talking about the Positive between your two batts !

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
To be fair. I am not sure I personally would bother, so long as the Cable can cope with the Current draw. Say 16mm2? or above. Care whenever removing a cable and disconnect the Earth(s) first before working anyway. and you should be OK.

However. Any Fuse in the Main cable from the battery bank should be sized to cope with the Normal Current and the Surge current when a large item is switched on.

The fuse rating In my Winnebago is 50Amp supply to the coach distribution box, according to the Wiring Diagram.? But I would caution that only as a Guide?

If you want High capacity Fuses and Fuse Holders Try:-

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/fuses-guide-uses.html

And:- http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/midi-strip-link-fuse-holder.html

Pete

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
the fuse should be sized to protect the cable , if the socket is 5a or what ever, run the correct size of cable and fuse it to that size , the fuse in the plug that feeds the mouse scarer should be sized to protect that .

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the fuse should be sized to protect the cable , if the socket is 5a or what ever, run the correct size of cable and fuse it to that size , the fuse in the plug that feeds the mouse scarer should be sized to protect that .
the above posts about cable and fuse size refer to the battery bridge cable. the size of this depends on maximum rated current of attached equipment. generally people go with 25A unless there is an inverter or B2B charger fitted

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have 20A on mine which should prevent too much excitement happening when I don't want it to. I also wanted to limit the juice floating about and protect my Solar controller which is a 20A jobbie.

I believe 25A is the standard.

We are talking about the Positive between your two batts !
Thanks that's great
Ian

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back