Front Suspension? (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
My Hymer 584 front Suspension is sagging and needs upgrading, apparently this is a common problem so was just wondering if anyone has had it done and how much it cost?(y)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes a Fiat but it's a heavy and it depends on front axle weight but ours worked out at about £1000 they require a deposit to order the springs in most of the cost is for dismantling the dash to get to the top spring mounts.
Made a big differance to ride there are 2 stronger springs for different weights

Joe

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I had VB comfort springs fitted to my Pilote A class by conrad anderson raised the front by 60mm and made the ride more comfortble, Techno100 also has had them fitted to his rapido c low profile.

Cost around £700

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Goldsmittch springs are now either fitted as standard or in the option pack that you wouldn't buy the van without on all A Class Hymers.
They give a very good ride and raise the front a couple of inches.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm having Goldschmitd springs fitted to the front of my Hymer in 10 days by Dave Newell, happy to feed back results.

Had Goldschmidt front springs fitted by Dave Newell about a month ago, has made a big difference to ride height - about 55 mm, Ride comfort much improved. I can recommend this work and Dave Newell

Interested in doing this... do mind saying how much it cost ?

thanks

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We had the Goldschmidt springs done in Germany some years ago, at their HQ, and stayed overnight on their Stellplatz.

The cost was several hundred Euros, which resulted in a much firmer ride with about an extra 50mm extra, in height from the tyres.

Had we been able to afford it at the time, we would have gone for the rear twin axle air suspension kit that British firms don't do for that series of ALKO chassis. :(

HTH,

Jock.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Had the uprated springs fitted on Wednesday at Dave Newell's in Telford @dave newell lvs
It took about 6 hours, but the fact large areas of the dashboard had to come off on the Hymer added a lot of time. We had a lovely day at Blists Hill Victorian village courtesy of Dave+Jackie.
Handling is improved, the front is raised, I just felt the 3ltr lump in the front was too much for the existing springs.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
CA_01091418290048-S.jpg
CA_01091419014390-S.jpg

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Scotjimland
Only just seen your post(s) been away for a few days with no wifi or phone signal - bloody marvellous, peace & quiet
Goldschmidt springs took 3 hours, cost £650, well worth it
Also I fitted Dunlop air assist to the rear tag axle, with two upgrades it has made a major difference to the handling and comfort of the vehicle.
Techno's photo's are very informative! As always

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
Oops! Didn't realise this is in 'Hymer' section, mines a Burstner so installation time (& cost) maybe different, still worth it thou.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Did mine myself, bought Kilen( 12205 ) springs off the internet(£200, but you can get them cheaper, another rip off story). Took the suspension legs down to my local garage to get the springs fitted( Don't mess with them unless you really know what you're doing &have very heavy spring compressors, they are lethal), refitted them & jobs a good un.
I got the heaviest (12205) springs as I have the 3 litre engine & a big overcab
Anybody want some standard Fiat springs from a 2100kg front axle? Probably a cheap upgrade for someone.

Rick

Free Member
Jun 19, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi DP_JAY,
I have a Pilote that is 'nose down' due probably to the front axle weighing in at 1860kg, on a light chassis.
When you fitted the Kilen 12205 springs, by how much did in lift the front end? I am looking for at least 50mm.
Did it make the ride firmer, or due to increased travel softer?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Just had a pair of heavy duty Goldschitt springs fitted on our
A class Pilote @dave newell lvs to cope with the 2 tonne max front axle load,cant believe the difference. :)

View attachment 94015

View attachment 94016

Thanks for the kind words, can you tell me what difference, if any, it has made to ride quality please as someone has asked on our Facebook page.

Cheers, D.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the kind words, can you tell me what difference, if any, it has made to ride quality please as someone has asked on our Facebook page.

Cheers, D.

Much smoother and quieter ride ,the harshness that was there before has gone,we'll actually be able to hear each other now once it's been back to the dealers to cure the strange low speed knocking that sounds as if we've got a stowaway trying to get out!,and sorted all the other little rattles !
Not only that but the front on our van was so low that sooner or later it was going to get damaged.Money well spent.(y)

Can't spell Goldschmitt :doh:

Richard

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
@rb62

Richard it looks like you have a similar van to ours (Explorateur 730) I had VB comfort springs fitted which lifted the front by 60mm with similar results to you.

With regard to the low speed knocking we had a knock that only occurred on low speed manouvers it turned out to be the drop down bed. The plastic surround was knocking on the front pivot bolts because of the slight sideways movement of the bed. Took an age to track it down but trimming the surround has cured it.

John

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
(y)(y)(y)@rb62

Richard it looks like you have a similar van to ours (Explorateur 730) I had VB comfort springs fitted which lifted the front by 60mm with similar results to you.

With regard to the low speed knocking we had a knock that only occurred on low speed manouvers it turned out to be the drop down bed. The plastic surround was knocking on the front pivot bolts because of the slight sideways movement of the bed. Took an age to track it down but trimming the surround has cured it.

John

Ours seems to be coming from between the double floor just behind the fuel tank a seemingly inaccesible area otherwise I'd have sorted it ! We shall see but will check the bed next time we are out. (y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Richard, would you mind if I copy and paste your comments about the ride to our facebook page please? Always better if the replies to questions come from the owners rather than just me.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back