LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We've all seen this question before. What GPS is best for my MH. The answer is...

AUTOROUTE.

"That's not GPS". RIGHT.

Autoroute or even a paper map lets you plan properly and see what might be interesting on the way. Here is my day's work planning a route to Algecieras from Calais based on a route by Don Madge. Pg is page in our Michelin atlas.

Calais -- > Algecieras.

Sun 29 dock 09:30

A16 Pg 16 BOULOGNE
A16 AMIENS
A28 ROUEN
A28 Pg21 ALENCON
A28 Pg20 Le MANS
A28 TOURS
N10 Pg25 POITIERS TURN OFF
St MAURE STOP1sun
N10 Pg25 POITIERS some mway to save time
N10 ANGOULEME
N10 BORDEAUX
N10 Pg28 BAYONNE
N10 St JEAN de LUZ STOP2mon
IRUN
Pg37 DONOSTIA SAN SEBASTIAN
AP1 VITORIA GASTEIZ
AP1 BURGOS
A1 Pg36 MADRID
A4 ARANUEZ STOP3tue
A4 Pg42 JAEN
A44 Pg48 GRANADA
A44 MOTRIL

Hops:
Calais-St Maure 347
St Maure-St Jean 298 672
St Jean-Aranjez 334 1006
Aranuez-Nerja 294 1300
[FONT=&quot]Nerja-Algecieras 123 1423[/FONT]

One page of A4 printed large and away we go. How hard is that. There are at least 3 "slack" days in there, so if we like it, we stop.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
You can't beat sally satnav nagging you when you have made a wrong turn

At least you can turn her off, not like the other half:ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
TBH
I use both, I never rely on sat nav, i research on my laptop on autoroute, go with the gps and then get nikki to do some work with a map.

Sat nav is not the be all and end all, but helps me find clients houses in an emergency:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sat nav is not the be all and end all, but helps me find clients houses in an emergency:thumb:

That's where mine pays for itself. Though in my case locating spare parts in unfamiliar locations. I once made the mistake of "shortest route" in Somerset and got a grand tour of single track roads infested with Olde Fartes in Micras doing 10mph. A nice fast dual carriageway could be seen most of the way.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We've all seen this question before. What GPS is best for my MH. The answer is...

AUTOROUTE.

"That's not GPS". RIGHT.

One page of A4 printed large and away we go. How hard is that. There are at least 3 "slack" days in there, so if we like it, we stop.

Here we go again, if you don't use a map your a numpty. :Doh:
I use satnav almost exclusively, I rarely if ever consult a map, and for me that works, but I certainly don't say its the only way.

If you want to plan your journey out and enjoy using a map then fine, but why knock those like me who don't?

Why is it that map readers feel this complusion to tell others that their doing it wrong? :Angry:

Olley

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Why is it that map readers feel this complusion to tell others that their doing it wrong? :Angry:
Olley

Have you ever had a map go wrong ?

Have you ever planned a route on a map that took you through a farm yard ?

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You can't beat sally satnav nagging you when you have made a wrong turn

And when you've made a right turn ???

Dover to Up North.

I know the M11+A14 is a great route. TT says I should use M1. So I let the Dutch Idiot whine and whine until close to the A14 before the Dutch Idiot takes the hint and sees it *my* way.

marymo

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Dublin
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
GPS V Maps

We have MATM - Mary and the Map!!!

Would I ever admit to getting lost - No
Would we have taken the scenic route on many occasion - Yes
Would there nearly have been divorce at times - Yes
Did we see some lovely countryside - Yes

I recently bought a gps and have to admit I am still trying to work the thing out ..however, I think the shock of a quiet journey might be just too much !! so we will just have to use both

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Dale Carnegie taught me that the only way to win an argument is to avoid it at all costs but sometimes I weaken!

As a single motorhomer without the advantage of a navigator by my side and a really poor memory, the GPS has changed my motorhoming experience. I am no longer afraid to go "off piste" as I can always... and I repeat always... be brought back on course by Jane of Tom Tom.

The only times I have ended up in narrow roads is when I have put in the wrong instructions. I don't blame the sat nav for that, that's my fault.

Oh yes, and it might come as a surprise to some when I say my sat nav has a map in it. A very, very, very big map (with A to Z style street maps all the towns in the whole of Western Europe.) This "map" allows me to peruse the selected route at leisure and change things if and when I want.

I agree that technology in the hands of those who don't want to, or choose not to, learn how to use it is pretty useless...

I guess the reason some of you choose those huge RV vehicles is so you have enough room to cart all those maps about! :)

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
The point is that autoroute/maps/gps are just tools to enable us to get from A to B

Some find it easy to mapread ;but many find it frustrating and end up getting lost, I know i did.:Doh:

Autoroute made things a lot easier put in your start point and finish, the route would be created together with directions all printed out. ::bigsmile:

Ok along came GPS the major difference here is visual information is in real time.
if i go wrong it will recalculate the route, it warns me of trafiic conjestion and plans a better route, tells me the speed limet warns if i go over, tells me how long my journey will take and arrive, acts as hands free phone etc,etc :thumb::thumb::thumb:

So for me there,s no contest

Hilldweller i can find a good home if you want to get rid of that dutch idiot ::bigsmile:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We use both - GPS is only as good as its maps, and with the best will in the world they get out of date - but so do paper maps. If I had to choose one it would be the GPS.

The big difference is that a map tells you where you should be whereas a GPS tells you where you actually are.

But I would not be without the GPS. Navigating through a strange city with just maps can be horrendous, I remember spending well over an hour lost in Burgos looking for the camp site, before I invested in a GPS.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And when you've made a right turn ???

Dover to Up North.

I know the M11+A14 is a great route. TT says I should use M1. So I let the Dutch Idiot whine and whine until close to the A14 before the Dutch Idiot takes the hint and sees it *my* way.

likewise Brian.....if i see a juntion/roundabout coming up i have a look at the screen but i only turn on "The Gob" when approaching a town.
cant always look at the screen when you're fighting your way through an unfamiliar town.:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back