Vets and Campsites near Santander Spain (1 Viewer)

stargazer

Free Member
Mar 4, 2009
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
20plus
Hi everyone,

We're off to Spain and Portugal soon for 6 weeks on the Plymouth - Santander ferry. We are taking our dog with us and are just wondering if there are any campsites near to a vets (where we can easily park) near or preferably an hour or so outside Santander for our return trip?

We have compiled a list of vets and campsites but are interested if anyone has any first hand experience?

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi there, we have two yorkies and travel twice a year to Spain. We never go to the vets in the port as you are wasting at least a day of your holiday, if you can plan your trip the ideal is to call at a vets on your way back to the port.

"Your pet must be treated against ticks and tapeworms not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before it is checked in with an approved transport company for its journey into the UK." from Defra site.

Every town has at least a couple of vets, there is an excellent site for French Vets but I am not sure about one for Spain.

A good tip is to take your own worming tablets and Frontline (A good tip is Weldricks chemist, they have Frontline and Drontall at 20% off at the moment.)

Please remember that you need to buy ADVANTIX for when you are in Spain, this is instead of Frontline as it prevents the sand mosquito attacking your dog, which can cause heart worms and all sorts.

The best part of a motorhome is that we can take our dogs away with us, so enjoy your holiday and I am sure you and your spaniel will have a great time.

Ginny and Mike

OP
OP
S

stargazer

Free Member
Mar 4, 2009
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
20plus
Hi Ginny & Mike,

Thanks for your reply! We have taken our Springer for the last 3 years to France and always used the Tunnel & the same vet. The vet we used was excellent but did insist we used theire stuff!

Last year we did go into northern Spain for a week and used Advantix + Advantage. I'm wondering now about the collar?

We quite like to plan things ahead and visit the vet on the way out and get an appointment for coming back or email them. I have been trying to find a recommendation for Spain for some time now and whilst I have a list of vets can not find any recommendations anywhere - always open to a pm!

Best wishes Bob & Andrea

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you are coming to spain during March/April PLEASE PLEASE read up about prossecionary catrpillars (spelling)

If you are here during the summer PLEASE PLEASE read up about Leashmarnis.

sorry about the spelling.

OP
OP
S

stargazer

Free Member
Mar 4, 2009
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
20plus
Thanks hogan,

We're coming Mid April until end May and I must confess we are getting very worried about the caterpillars and sand flies. I'm even wondering whether to head up into France :Sad:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks hogan,

We're coming Mid April until end May and I must confess we are getting very worried about the caterpillars and sand flies. I'm even wondering whether to head up into France :Sad:

Mid April/May the caterpillars season should be at a end,Just dont walk your dog near pine trees if you can see small balls of white in them,or black streaks on the road.

Sand flies have nothing to do with sand,the most dangerous time is dawn and dusk if the temp is above 21 degs c dont walk your dog during this time.
Having said all that we have lived here for 7 years with our dog and have had no problems.

Just take care you will have a good time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

stargazer

Free Member
Mar 4, 2009
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
20plus
Thanks hogan - you have put my mind at rest. Fore warned is for fore armed ! Many thanks for that info.
Do you use the Scalibor collar?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back