Autowatch 650 alarm - keeps going off! (2 Viewers)

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
HI all

I am having a few problems with the alarm on my new to me 2011 Elddis Autoquest (Sunquest).

The instruction manual doesn’t really help and the instructions from the dealer seemed ok but now i’ve driven away they don’t work as described!

The Alarm is a factory fitteed Autowatch 650 with a PIR, wireless alarm contact on the habitation door, two little black sensors on the dashboard and it is linked into the central locking for the driver/passenger doors. There is a blue LED on the dashboard that flashes when the alarm is set.

I have been given the ignition key for the van which if a flip key with 2 buttons that work the central locking and this arms and disarms the alarm. This works fine unlocking the doors and turning the alarm on and off.

I also have a spare van key without the buttons and an alarm fob with 4 buttons with pictures next the them showing: Arm, Disarm, picture of a speaker and picture of an open car boot. The dealer said this was not needed to use the system and could be left at home.

The instructions/demo from the dealer was to use the open/close button on the main flip key to unlock/lock the van doors and this would arm/disarm the system. He said I need to unlock the van doors to disarm the alarm before opening the rear habitation door.

That works fine, except when we a in the van if we want to lock the main van doors, we press the button on the key fob and the central locking locks and then it sets the alarm. 30 seconds later if we move the alarm goes of.

How do you lock the doors and not set the alarm? Have tried looking in the manual and it mentions an “at home” feature that doesn't seem to make a differnce.

It also mentions an emergency disarm option by putting a touch key in a socket. I have no idea where the socket it and I don’t think I have a touch key.

The other strange problem: When the alarm goes off, I can reset it by clicking the unlock button on the flip ignition key fob but the indicator lights keep flashing - the only way to stop them flashing is to press the hazard warning lights button on the dash and it turns them off

Does anyone have a similar van/alarm that can provide me with some simple instructions!

Cheers
Richard

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine is an autowatch (different model).....biggest load of unreliable crap i ever saw.
it has a one button fob...press once to arm and again to disarm.

I have a wireless PIR and wireless hab door switch, both work when they want.

Only bit that is reliable is the immobiliser curcuit and drivers door pin switch.

If i could be bothered i would remove the lot.....and that would take all of 20 minutes.
whoever fitted it had never heard of a soldering iron but had loads of wire twisting experience and insulation tape.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have an Autowatch also had one on the last van brilliant bit of kit providing you use the correct one for a Motorhome, I been very pleased with both of them.

The Autowatch 650 is a caravan alarm and not suitable for Motorhomes it is not Thatham approved and therefore not accepted by insurance companies.

If you have internal wireless PIR sensors check the batteries in them chances are they need replacing, if they are flat it will cause intermittent triggering of the alarm.
If you arm the alarm with the internal sensors disabled and you get no intermittent triggering you will know the problem is with the internal sensors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Just bought a new (to us) van and the dealer told us that if you want the doors locked when you are inside but don't want the alarm to go off you should press the door lock button twice in fairly quick sucession. We haven't tried it yet but may be worth you trying this.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
As stated the 650 is not the right model for MH's. The 695 is the correct alarm. The PIR batteries have an expected lifespan of three years, so that would be a good place to start looking for problems.

Brian

OP
OP
RichardB
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Thanks all. Have done some digging around with the van - the alarm is a 695 - although the manual and dealer told me a 650!
I have changed the PIR batteries as well - The door contact reed switch doesn't appear to have a battery though

I've set the alarm a few times and it hasn't gone off yet so that maybe due to the PIR batteries...

However, when I do set the alarm the LED on the dash is blinking 3 blue flashes every 15/20 seconds - is that right - the manual says a flash every 30 seconds...

Richard

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when I do set the alarm the LED on the dash is blinking 3 blue flashes every 15/20 seconds
Same as mine, but mine is red.
when disabled but no ign it flashes once every 15 seconds or so.
that may indicate the immobiliser is still active until the ign is turned on.

New button cells in my wireless door switch and pir made no difference, they still worked when they wanted not when they should.
they didnt false trigger, they just didnt trigger at all.

As i said before...biggest load of crap ever.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Same as mine, but mine is red.
when disabled but no ign it flashes once every 15 seconds or so.
that may indicate the immobiliser is still active until the ign is turned on.

New button cells in my wireless door switch and pir made no difference, they still worked when they wanted not when they should.
they didnt false trigger, they just didnt trigger at all.

As i said before...biggest load of crap ever.
If it is so bad why don't you get the installer out to look at it, they have a 2 year pan European warranty so you can get any agent out.
Which model is it you have?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks all. Have done some digging around with the van - the alarm is a 695 - although the manual and dealer told me a 650!
I have changed the PIR batteries as well - The door contact reed switch doesn't appear to have a battery though

I've set the alarm a few times and it hasn't gone off yet so that maybe due to the PIR batteries...

However, when I do set the alarm the LED on the dash is blinking 3 blue flashes every 15/20 seconds - is that right - the manual says a flash every 30 seconds...

Richard

The 695 is normally fitted with wireless door switches, battery life on those is 10 years & they only trigger on open. Yes flashing sounds right for the blue LED.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it is so bad why don't you get the installer out to look at it, they have a 2 year pan European warranty so you can get any agent out.
Which model is it you have?
Autowatch 225 or 228...cant quite see it.
Older than Noah.

As it was on before we bought the RV over 4 years ago, and probably on from new in 1999, and it was like this when we bought it i wouldnt even waste time removing it unless it fails fully......that would take all of 20 minutes as all the wiring is visible under the dash and it aint rocket science how its wired.
cut one existing wire and splice in a circuit from the alarm between the two open ends.
all the alarm wires are black but the original cut circuits are coloured so its obvious which wire matches which wire.
i have seen better wiring systems on £20 car alarms on ebay.

Utter shite..

Last edited:

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Older than Noah.

As it was on before we bought the RV over 4 years ago, and probably on from new in 1999, and it was like this when we bought it i wouldnt even waste time removing it unless it fails fully......that would take all of 20 minutes as all the wiring is visible under the dash and it aint rocket science how its wired.
cut one existing wire and splice in a circuit from the alarm between the two open ends.
all the alarm wires are black but the original cut circuits are coloured so its obvious which wire matches which wire.

Utter shite..
A bit unfair to keep going on about something being so bad when your only experience is of a unit that is over 16 years old and probably bears no resemblance to the modern units at all, it also sounds like the installation was a complete bodge.

I know quite a few people with the modern ones fitted they are an excellent bit of kit, I wouldn't use any other alarm.

OP
OP
RichardB
Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Thanks all - have spent the afternoon in the van and it hasn't gone off at all.
Im pretty sure the PIR battery change has fixed it

Richard

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Older than Noah.

Utter shite..
Age isn't an issue, we still have alarms on contract from the early nineties

It would be cheaper to resolve the issues if possible than to remove what you have an start from scratch

Eddie

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
From Rammobile website:

* The alarm is supplied with one alarm remote control and the 3 x wireles sensors as standard. Please note that the wireless sensors have a 3 year life cycle

http://www.rammobile.com/view-product/Autowatch-695-Deluxe-Motorhome-Alarm

I assumed this referred to the batteries - does it not?

Brian
The batteries in the PIR sensors have a life of 3 years in the door sensors it is 10 years.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A bit unfair to keep going on about something being so bad when your only experience is of a unit that is over 16 years old and probably bears no resemblance to the modern units at all, it also sounds like the installation was a complete bodge.

I know quite a few people with the modern ones fitted they are an excellent bit of kit, I wouldn't use any other alarm.
I'm sure the modern ones are fine but I have an old one and its still shite.

I assume from your authorative replies you have some connection with the company

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm sure the modern ones are fine but I have an old one and its still shite.

I assume from your authorative replies you have some connection with the company

None what so ever just very pleased with the alarms I have had fitted & recommended to friends who have had other alarms in the past and think the same as me about the quality of the product- excellent.

FYI:
I did have mine going off randomly, a quick call to the installer he suggested checking the batteries & would post me some & if any further problems he would visit and sort it out. Pleased to say new batteries sorted it.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
My auto watch 161 will rearm itself if drivers door is not opened within a short period of time thus setting off the alarm if I am inside ,got used to that now so just press the unset then open nd close drivers door.job done.!,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Better if hard wired and no batteries to replace!
True but who wants someone drilling holes in their pride and joy, & difficult to do a nice job with a PIR that needs to be placed centrally in a van.

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My auto watch 161 will rearm itself if drivers door is not opened within a short period of time thus setting off the alarm if I am inside ,got used to that now so just press the unset then open nd close drivers door.job done.!,
What happens when you enter through the caravan door? Do you still have to open and close the drivers door?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Not sure Eddie, as have always done the above but will check later today (sunday) and let you know.

Just the same Eddie, alarm rearms itself unless I open drivers door.opening hab door makes no difference as alarm will rearm in approx three mins.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just the same Eddie, alarm rearms itself unless I open drivers door.opening hab door makes no difference as alarm will rearm in approx three mins.
Classic example of a car alarm being fitted to a Motorhome:mad:

On a car, when you disarm the alarm it is pretty inconceivable that the drivers door wouldn't be opened.

If you were to accidentally disarm the alarm whilst walking away from the vehicle, the system will assume you've done it by accident if the drivers door isn't opened, thus re-arm itself

Fine in a car, useless in a Motorhome

The only solution now is to install a Normally Open (N/O) switch on the caravan door and link it in parallel with the switch on the drivers door

That will eliminate the need to clamber in and out of the drives door

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Cheers Eddie, I will look into doing that ,assuming my motorhome workshop knows what I am talking about ,failing that it will be a pop in to see you when in area.once again thanks...Roy

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have a Sigma alarm fitted to my MH which was fitted when new and we bought it secondhand. I change the key fob batteries when I get the van serviced each year. I have had some false alarms and when I read the alarm manual it advised to close the air vents in the dash to reduce air movement which might affect the sensors in the van. It has been OK since but the chances of me remembering to do this every time we leave the van when touring are remote! To set the alarm at night all we have to do is to lock the van using the door locking button on the dash of our 2010 Fiat Ducato and that locks all the doors and sets the door alarms, ha door and all hatch and garage doors etc but does not set the internal sensors.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@RichardB I have the 695 and it has worked faultlessly (2 years now). To set the alarm with us in it, I press the lock button on the key fob once, then again a second time to disarm the movement sensors (must be done within 2 seconds). Try that (y)

Reactions: DT
Feb 26, 2021
Swansea
Funster No
MH
elddis 125
Exp
since 2020
HI all

I am having a few problems with the alarm on my new to me 2011 Elddis Autoquest (Sunquest).

The instruction manual doesn’t really help and the instructions from the dealer seemed ok but now i’ve driven away they don’t work as described!

The Alarm is a factory fitteed Autowatch 650 with a PIR, wireless alarm contact on the habitation door, two little black sensors on the dashboard and it is linked into the central locking for the driver/passenger doors. There is a blue LED on the dashboard that flashes when the alarm is set.

I have been given the ignition key for the van which if a flip key with 2 buttons that work the central locking and this arms and disarms the alarm. This works fine unlocking the doors and turning the alarm on and off.

I also have a spare van key without the buttons and an alarm fob with 4 buttons with pictures next the them showing: Arm, Disarm, picture of a speaker and picture of an open car boot. The dealer said this was not needed to use the system and could be left at home.

The instructions/demo from the dealer was to use the open/close button on the main flip key to unlock/lock the van doors and this would arm/disarm the system. He said I need to unlock the van doors to disarm the alarm before opening the rear habitation door.

That works fine, except when we a in the van if we want to lock the main van doors, we press the button on the key fob and the central locking locks and then it sets the alarm. 30 seconds later if we move the alarm goes of.

How do you lock the doors and not set the alarm? Have tried looking in the manual and it mentions an “at home” feature that doesn't seem to make a differnce.

It also mentions an emergency disarm option by putting a touch key in a socket. I have no idea where the socket it and I don’t think I have a touch key.

The other strange problem: When the alarm goes off, I can reset it by clicking the unlock button on the flip ignition key fob but the indicator lights keep flashing - the only way to stop them flashing is to press the hazard warning lights button on the dash and it turns them off

Does anyone have a similar van/alarm that can provide me with some simple instructions!

Cheers
Richard
hi Richard the alarm needs to be pressed a 2nd time after it has been armed, to disarm the pir inside the vehicle, if you also have a pir on the ceiling in the living area this is also disarmed, check the voltage in the batteries of the ceiling pir if you get intermitten faults best to change them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back