PMs and Status (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
On the right hand side , under the funsters online list, are the messages left as "status".

Many a time I thought that what was said there, had nothing to do with status but sounded more like PM (Private Messages).
Some people leave very personal info on there, and I wonder if they are aware of this.

Most of them haven't got the clue on how to write a PM.
Some others just don't care.
The rest of the funsters using this place use it as a status place as it is supposed to be used for.

So I wonder if making a post on how to make a PM would not be useful! ????
I sometimes feel very nosy to be able to read things I am not supposed to!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You must be special Frankie.....nothing there on my screen.

Screenshot_2015-04-03-12-09-14.png

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
What Frankie is on about appears when I first log in but then disappears when I move onto another page.

Edited to add - sussed it - the profile posts appear when I click on the forum home tab. Frankie is right, there is often quite a bit of personal info put in there.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So it is !!!!!

But it doesnt take you anywhere except the participants individual profile pages.
you cant access their private messages so whats the problem..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
So it is !!!!!

But it doesnt take you anywhere except the participants individual profile pages.
you cant access their private messages so whats the problem..

It seems that posting on Profile Page is being confused with a Private Message,which,as it says on the tin,is private.A post left on profile page can be read by anyone who looks at that profile.

Jun 8, 2010
west sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Tents till 1973,caravan till1987m/home since1987
Sorry if this is regarding me trying to reply to a member urgently requesting information from me.
I know not what to do ,or, how to do it.
What is a status place and whats it used for?
best regards

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I dont think it was aimed at you specificaly...just a general comment by Yodeli.

So no need for apologies.

All you need do is click on the persons name or avatar on the left of any of their posts then click "start a conversation" in the profile box.
This used to be called "private message" or simply "PM"

The content CAN ONLY be read by the recipient

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
It seems that posting on Profile Page is being confused with a Private Message,which,as it says on the tin,is private.A post left on profile page can be read by anyone who looks at that profile.

In fact no need to click on the profile , you can read most of it, unless it is very long , and you are very curious lol!:p
As Scotjimland showed with a pic, I can see them when I log in , on the first page, on the right, scrolling down a bit after funsters online list.
I can read private comments (well most sound private to me) or e-mail addresses or meet up dates or even phone numbers.

And of course I didn't point out anyone, and I certainly need not apologies.
I am just a bit anxious to read very very private things...one day. And this post is much more like a big WARNING!
If you don't know how to make a private message, you should ask...it's far less dangerous!:whistle:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
PM (conversations ) are fine if it's private, though it sometimes gives me the pip when someone answers a query by sending a PM.

There are usually many others who would find it useful to see the answer so if it doesn't contain private info then stick it on the forum please.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is amazing there are still things to discover in this new Forum software! It may be folk are using profile postings instead of PMs, except we don't have PMs any more. I guess "start a conversation" is not very intuitive.

I'm not sure if there is an answer, just be aware anything written on a profile page is public and conversations (PMs) are private.

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
It is amazing there are still things to discover in this new Forum software! It may be folk are using profile postings instead of PMs, except we don't have PMs any more. I guess "start a conversation" is not very intuitive.

I'm not sure if there is an answer, just be aware anything written on a profile page is public and conversations (PMs) are private.

"Start a conversation" is a PM. It is exactly the same, only the name has changed (I still call it a PM). You can send a private message the same way you used to do it with the old PM. There ..I'm going to send you one in a minute, and you'll see; Watch out INBOX on front page ,next to ALERTS

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back