LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Left the headlights on yesterday,. By the time neighbour told me ( van isn't visible from my daughter's house where I'm house/dog sitting) battery was flat.
I've got the EHU connected but it's plugged into an extension cable running from the house and they meet on the garden table. Not raining thank goodness and I've covered the connection with a bin bag.

How long do I leave it to charge?
Don't really need to go out today but need it to start first thing tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
should start in 3 hours but I'd leave it overnight if possible. All depends on the charger really, make sure the vehicle battery is charging and not the habitation battery, not all setups do both.

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thank, it's definitely set to charge up the engine battery. Just worried about impending rain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi holly, did the same on an old mk3 transit years ago when away fishing... it was a sunny day and didn't realise the headlights were left on after a trip through a tunnel....
you can get little diy buzzer kits from the likes of maplins (which most new vehicles have as standard) and fit them... that's what I did and it saved the same happening again.
if your extension cable connection is off the ground and well wrapped you will be fine...just make sure you isolate at the supply before disconnecting the cables..
ta andy

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks. Will look into the buzzer option. The connection is on the garden table top and wrapped in a heavy duty bin bag.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks. Will look into the buzzer option. The connection is on the garden table top and wrapped in a heavy duty bin bag.
Put it UNDER the table....as long as its off the ground it should be ok, def safer than on top of the table.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
you can get little diy buzzer kits from the likes of maplins (which most new vehicles have as standard) and fit them... that's what I did and it saved the same happening again.

I would recommend using the ignition wiring rather than door. I only discovered last week my transit has a buzzer because it works of you open the drivers door with the lights on.. no good if you aren't leaving the van...

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Put it UNDER the table....as long as its off the ground it should be ok, def safer than on top of the table.
Duhhhh!!! never thought of that. I really shouldn't be let out alone.......

Thanks. Will put it on chair seat.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Before you get excited. Does your van charger actually charge your vehicle battery. Mine doesn't !
Otherwise you could be waiting forever, or a bolt of lightning to strike ? :whistle:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back