Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I recently had a service on my van and asked if they could fit a 12v socket at the rear of the van so I could set up a TV to watch from bed. They did this and included an aerial socket too.

A couple of days ago I went to try it out and found that they had junctioned the wiring to the lighting in the van. The outcome of this is that I can only get power to the socket provided the main lights (internal not headlights!), are switched on.

Now for me that's not the best way to watch TV in bed as I prefer to have the lights switched off! As you may gather from this I'm not much of an electrician, not sure if the fitter was either. I get the feeling that this was a sort of botched up shortcut rather than running an independent connection.

So my questions are: Should I shut up and watch TV with the lights on? Should I complain about the work and ask it to be rewired? Should I fix it my self,and if so what's the best way to resolve?

Any offers of advice will greatly be appreciated!

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
If it were me I would take it back and complain, they will correct the problem.
You may also want to use the socket to charge your phone/iPad or other device whilst in bed and wouldn't be expected to have the light on then.
It may be an easy fix and an oversight on their part and all will be solved amicably.
Please don't suffer in silence and get what you paid for.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Take it back - complain, i recently fitted a 12v socket to the rear of the van along with a Twin USB and voltage display, was pretty easy to do - I just tapped into the 12v supply that went to another 12v socket situated in the middle of the van and ran the wiring behind the walls to the rear - simples

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Should I fix it my self,and if so what's the best way to resolve?
I think the final 6 words answer the question..

If you dont know what you are doing leave it to a grown up. :LOL:

I would go back and explain the problem....you paid them to do it correctly, and they didnt.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just a thought.....

They wired in a new aerial point which means they had a route back to the booster or existing aerial point.....which will have a suitable 12v point close by.
they could have wired the power back to the same 12v point at the same time.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just a thought.....

They wired in a new aerial point which means they had a route back to the booster or existing aerial point.....which will have a suitable 12v point close by.
they could have wired the power back to the same 12v point at the same time.
Unless that is from the same place.:D

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Thanks for all your replays. I will give them a ring after Easter. The trouble is we are in portugal and explaining the problem and getting them to agree to put it right.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It will be easy ! Portuguese language is EXACTLY the same as English but you have to shout really loud.. Of course all Englishmen know this any way .. It is the same in all countries !! LOL !!

Seriously though.. Given the job is SO wrong I would be inclined to find someone else to do the job and stay WELL clear of the cowboys who originally did it..
If they made that big a bodge on what should have been a straight forward job, I would not trust them anywhere near my motor ever again

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
oh dear my lot fell about laughing at the fitter that did mine. then took it straight in and fixed it and put in a outside 12 volt point for free.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@RogeTeri
I've just installed an extra 12v socket via the lighting system BUT it looks like this guy has tapped into the wiring after the switch! That's why the socket is only 'live' when the lights are on.

I'm not a certified electrician (Certified may be :D) but I know enough. My new socket was only for low amps stuff. It would have been a nightmare for me to run a separate cable to where I wanted my socket, that's why I utilised the cabling already run to the lighting circuit. I guess that's why matey-boy did it that way.

If you want to remedy this yourself, have a look at what he's done. I'm guessing here that he's used the feed to one of your reading lights???? Or under-cabinet lamps? You would need to 'break' into the circuit on the live side. There will be two 12v cables coming in to the lamp assembly, one of which will 'split' and go to one side of the switch, then out from the other side of the switch terminals to the lamp.

As others have said; if you don't feel confident, (and depending upon how far the dealership is) just take it back to them.

James

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
You could always remove the lamps and sit in the dark watching tv.
Just a thought :D

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Thanks for that. Sounds a really good idea!!! Or I could just go to sleep and dream I'm watching TV!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back