Great new received, but now what? (1 Viewer)

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
The good news is that after 9 months of worry and chemotherapy with numerous stays in hospital for pneumonia, a DVT and spine fractures, I have been told that my Multiple Myeloma (bone marrow cancer) is now officially in remission. This could be for months or years, one friend has just gone back to chemo after 4 years of remission. However, I continue to have the osteoporosis and multiple spine fractures.

Now we have to decide if we want to return to the road or sell up?

I've spent much of the last 9 months lying in a (home supplied) hospital bed in the dining room looking out at "The Kennel" on the drive. We decided not to sell up last year but would leave our decision until this year when/if the chemo worked. Our dilemma is that we both feel that our enjoyment for motorhoming has waned and the thought of going on the road again fills us with concern. Driving is not a problem for me, I took the "Kennel" out for a short drive last week with no probs.

Has anyone else felt this loss of desire to continue with touring and what did you do to overcome it, or did you sell up? I suppose that's daft, if you sold up you wouldn't still be on this site! Any comments or suggestions?

Sorry for this long tome.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
That's good news and keeping everything crossed for you to stay in remission.

Hopefully once some brighter weather comes you may feel more like getting out and about in your MH. It's difficult to be enthusiastic when it's cold and wet. Perhaps a short trip to somewhere you enjoy visiting might be a good start as if will remind you of why you started motorhoming.

Kath

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Very pleased to hear you are in remission, I'm sure you have been given loads of advice on how to stay in remission, diet, etc. so won't bore you with that.

I've been very ill for a very long time and am now "well" in so much as I am no longer incapacitated on a regular basis. As long as I keep my machine with me (machine that made me "well" and keeps me "well") I feel confident. But as you say, enthusiasm does wane. It isn't a case of what we can do, it feels more a case of what we want to do. And what I want to do has changed. I don't do stuff I used to do because it no longer holds the same attraction for me and as yet I haven't figured out what it is I do want to do! If that makes any sense.

So I would say to give it time, if you lose desire to do something then there is no compulsion to "overcome it", you will in time realise what it is you want to do instead. I wouldn't sell up just yet if I were you. Go and stay in the motorhome on the drive, see if the feel for it comes back, you've been through a, quite literally, life-changing experience - a life-saving experience in fact, and that does change your mindset. So give it time and don't chase yourself into a decision, let the decision come to you, one day it will.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
First thing.. Good news indeed and a massive 'Well done' for being strong and fighting your way back. I know only too well how hard it is to keep a positive attitude and fight on..

Next... more good news :)
You are well enough to be able to think about your next move and what you now want to do .. So again, massive 'high five me old mucker'

As to the quandary.. As Jaime says, give your self a little time.
Summer is on the way and there is every chance you will start getting itchy feet ( not so bad as previous health issues but stiiilllllll ... ;) )

Hang fire for a wee while Hillbum.. See how you feel about things when the sun is warming your back ! (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
First things, glad you have received your great news.
After the trauma of the last few months it's hardly surprising that you feel unsure about where you go from here .......but as others have said, summer is on it's way, you don't need to rush things and make any decisions.
A trip to one of your 'special places' seems a good idea though:).

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Very glad to hear your good news.
You've been through a very tough time so I think the advice above is good.
Wait a little longer for better weather, do 2 short trips, going yo somewhere you'd enjoy--coast, National Trust/Heritage place, town you've always wanted to see. If after the two trips you find your enthusiasm really has waned then sell up and use the money for something else--a spa stay, mini cruise ( or not so mini)
Treat yourself kindly. Things change in life and you've dealt with the big stuff. Don't beat yourself up over your kennel!

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Congratulations on your remission , now shake off your lethargy and get back on the road . You loved it before now get out and you will love it again .

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Hilburn what are the 'concerns' you mention when thinking about motorhomng again? Maybe it would help if you discussed those with us
Health worries?
Driving and traffic stress?
Loss of home comforts?
( just to get you started)....

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I can't really add to what has already been written here, just want to say that I wish you well in whatever you do, take care. (y)
I will second that. Well done in winning the battle and don't rush into things - now just let things with the motorhome take their course. It will work out the right way I am sure, and there is no point doing something you are not enjoying just because you think you ought to.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Stress (and it sounds like you’ve had a lot of that lately!) makes you lethargic. Reconnecting with nature is tremendously energising and will help you to recuperate after your long illness. Glad to hear that you are recovering and hope that you will soon be enjoying life again.

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
... As long as I keep my machine with me (machine that made me "well" and keeps me "well") I feel confident.

Just wanted to say, my post sounds like I drag a dialysis machine or something similar around. So to clarify, it's just a de-fib unit, so I can un-fib if I go into fibrillation ... :LOL:

And no, that's not a machine to stop me lying!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is there anywhere you haven't been to in the MH but always wanted to? The midnight sun in Norway? Looking down into the crater of an active volcano? Just go, but not somewhere familiar, other than perhaps as a short test run to check you can still do it. Then challenge yourself! You've proved you can overcome obstacles, keep at it. :)

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Good news Jaime, and good advice has been offered about giving it a little time until the sun comes out properly with a couple of small trips to favoured places, then re-assess:)

I'll add a few words about the Multiple Myeloma...my Father in Law was diagnosed with it some 16 years ago...had to remove several affected vertebrae initially and he was given, realistically, a year of life expectancy. In subsequent years he's had elbow, knee and hip joints replaced and we still can't get him to slow down - the myeloma is still present, but is controlled with drugs.

If there is a moral to the above, once he became fit enough to become reasonably active, he approached every day as though it might be his last and still does...there isn't much he can't do now that he couldn't all those years ago.
If motor homing was your passion and joy, take the advice that's been given by others and I'll hope the enthusiasm returns:)

Take care, David

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
So pleased to hear your very good news.
Not surprised you are not sure what you want to do after 9 months of worry. Take a little time to let yourself enjoy life again, then think of a couple of things you fancy doing, perhaps a place you've always wanted to go to, or an event, and tie it in with using the MH. This would then give you an idea of how you feel about the motorhoming side of it. :)

OP
OP
Hillbum

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Thanks to all for the reponses and some very sound advice. I think, as suggested, it's too early to make any decision, last time I went out in it was last April, just before diagnosis, so it's not even a year yet.

Jac asked what my concerns were, in reality I don't know. My other half is worried that my back will seize, as it did a few times last year, and what then?, she cannot drive. I suppose we are in the same state that we were when we first bought the MH in 2012. Apprehensive and not sure of ourselves, having to "learn" it all again.

Anyway following the advice, we will venture out for a few short trips, starting in May before any big decision.
Chris

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
By the way, love the name of your chocolate Labrador!! Aero ... brilliant :cool:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well heres a thought Hillbum..

If you are venturing within the shores of our glorious land, even if you got incapacitated and were unable to drive, there are few corners of the UK left that do not have a Funster within shouting distance !

Willing to bet bums to bullets you would only have to get a bit of WiFi and post on here you are stuck and someone would be there before you know it to help out !

In fact I further thought.. the way things are shaping up, it will be Fun that is the forth emergency service but specifically for motorhomers (y)

OP
OP
Hillbum

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Jamie, Aero is one of the reasons we bought the "kennel" in the first place. A friend who used to look after her when we were on holiday is now too old and infirm to look after a monster dog, she's a 40kilo ex breeding bitch.! Even known to pull me over before I was ill.
Wouldn't be without her of course.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 10

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I can't really add to what has already been written here, just want to say that I wish you well in whatever you do, take care. (y)

I will second that. Well done in winning the battle and don't rush into things - now just let things with the motorhome take their course. It will work out the right way I am sure, and there is no point doing something you are not enjoying just because you think you ought to.

Thirded..... (is there such a thing?)

I am so pleased you are back in control... take things slowly and let everything settle to the new reality, it does take time.

I have no idea of your wife's age but would she be willing to learn to drive if that is possible? That way maybe some of the worry would be lifted. However there is always the Funster gang who would never see you stuck. :)

I hope your health gets much better as time goes on and that your mental resilience returns. It isn't unusual to be rather low for quite a while after you have been physically ill - your spirit (emotions, mental strength all it what you will) needs to recover as well - as does that of your wife.

When I was seriously ill I think my family went through far worse than I did..... I was busy and occupied with fighting the disease and all they could do was watch and hope.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
as jaws has said there is plenty of funsters that will help out if you get stuck. please put us on your list.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back