Free Member
Jun 7, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Just looking again
Exp
Since 1998
I have just purchased a new Hymer Exsis T 564, one of the things that I would like to do is change the Gas Bottles for one of the refillable systems, because with previous M/Homes that I have had and use between here and Europe have been fed up with trying to find exchange bottles.

My question is what is the best gas system to buy ?....... in this Hymer the access to the Gas Locker is via the garage, is it now normal that bottles are removed for filling or is it usual to have a skin fitting through the van bodywork to fill the bottles or ?

Also where either on or close to the South Coast are there any suppliers for these, and how long does an installation take ?

I look forward to all replies and help.
Thanks in advance

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My gas locker is in the garage in my Hymer, I have 2 x 13 kg Alugas bottles saves about 10 kg over 11 kg steel bottles.
Filler is mounted in the skirt under the locker, easy enough to install yourself.
P1000054.jpg

Last edited:

LaMB

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Boston
Funster No
MH
Frankia i 640 SD
Exp
Since 2012
It is best to fit an external filler point as some garages are a bit funny about filling bottles directly. They may refuse you filling them, and who wants to lug heavy bottles about anyway.

I fitted a Gas-It system myself, easy enough and Gas-It provided a gas leak detection pen thingy so I could check for leaks (didn't have any though).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Better mount the filler a bit higher if possible, bending nearly double to get down that far isn't going to do your back any good! :)

An underslung tank is another option, depending on the base chassis and room underneath.

If the bodywork is too thin to carry the filler (the nozzle and hose are heavy) then you can fit a spreader plate to the filler.

Peter

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Better mount the filler a bit higher if possible, bending nearly double to get down that far isn't going to do your back any good! :)

An underslung tank is another option, depending on the base chassis and room underneath.

If the bodywork is too thin to carry the filler (the nozzle and hose are heavy) then you can fit a spreader plate to the filler.

Peter

@Peter A Forbes can you advise further on spreader plates? I've got over the fact that I'm going to have to drill a 70mm hole, more worried about the weight of the pump and hose against the skirt. Just when I convince myself that I'm going to be OK I get last min doubts! I think a spreader plate will ease my worries.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We have a standard fitting spreader plate that we drew up and have made for us in 16g stainless steel.

Broken Link Removed

On the trailer is it 14mm GRP/Ply walls so the plate just trims the hole, but on fibreglass or steel body panels it does spread the load over a wider angle, but you do need the recessed filler housing and the right size hole saw.

You can mount it vertically or horizontally as in the picture, holes are for M5 screws/bolts.

Here's the back view:

Broken Link Removed

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back