Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Sitting here van packed ready to go tomorrow and,

I am dreading it :unsure:

Reason being that I will be going on my own and it feels lonely already. I have only travelled on my own once and that was seven years ago after my wife died and I wanted to see how I felt being on my own, I didn't enjoy it so I sold the van.

The relationship I have been in for almost four years has fallen apart and I am having to force myself to get out on my own otherwise there is little point in having the van, I am staying at my sisters tomorrow night, brother in law seriously ill, and then I intend wilding until Tuesday when I am back to work.

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to running on the beaches, somewhere, and I am definitely going to finish up in Alnwick but ALONE :mm::mm:

So, how do YOU do it :worried:

Norman.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I have no idea if this will help but I solo'd for a while when I left my wife. I rallied more than wielded because then I was never alone for long.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
AAAAWWWWWWW NO NO NO NO

Thanks for cheering me up, looking forward to the alone bit a little more now :whistle:

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Hi Norman, get yourself on a rally or two, we have a few single funsters who join up with us all, and join in the fun, some great friends have been made by us so come on man.

Eric

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Second the dog suggestion. Take a dog for a walk, especially a puppy and you will meet and get talking to loads of folk - other dog owners mostly but we don't bite, unlike some of our mutts! A bit of human contact is essential for most of us.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Isn't there a single group on here, I thought Jim set one up?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been fulltiming solo for 6 years now and love it. Having said that I have been single for most of my adult life so I can imagine if you are used to having someone around it might be a bit of a shock to the system. You will get used to it given time and hopefully find it as enjoyable as a lot of us solo travellers do. No more compromises, just do what you want when you want without any consultation. Solo travelling does have it's up sides you just have to learn to appreciate them.

I would recommend Rallies and stopping on pub car parks/sites. Plenty of people around and good times to be had.

If you haven't got anything planned for June can I recommend the Stratford upon Avon rally. It is a full week with lots of great people and in a fantastic location.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Paul,

There is a group, Trailmates, but they are always away I assume as there is little activity (y)
Eric,
Thanks for that, I am booked on the rally at Garstang and also a couple of others and I am looking forward to them, I think :rolleyes:
Im sure you, ll have a great time at Garstang, we, re at chester this wk/end our next one is Peterborough.

Eric

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Norman, hope you're week end goes well, like others have said why not try a rally we are at Chester rally and have s mixture of 20 solo campers and every one joins in. Stratford is a good one why not try and get along.
clear.png

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hey I know the feeling but I never really ever feel alone when I have lots of funsters to chat to. Ok it's not the same but if helps. As for the rallies and meets just arrive and chat to whoever you see. I have.
If your willing to be friendly you need never be lonely.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
If you haven't got anything planned for June can I recommend the Stratford upon Avon rally. It is a full week with lots of great people and in a fantastic location.

I'm hoping to come alone to Stratford again - enjoyed it last year. Come along and we can talk Catalinas!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
First, you are doing this under stressful conditions---the end of a relationship plus your brother in law being seriously ill.
Add into that your memories of your first single trip when you were recently bereaved and no one would expect you to be anything other than worried about travelling alone.
It's never going to be perfect, being alone when you've been a happy couple, but it can be ok, it can be good, it can be very good and it can be fun. Not every day, not all at the same time but the potential's there.
One day at a time, see how this trip goes.
Join some of the rallies on here. Come along to Ilfracombe if you San as there'll be a few of us solo Funsters there.
First Fun rally I went to I managed to fall out of a motorhome, get taken off to hospital with suspected fracture and ended up on crutches! All the other Funsters rallied round, looked after my animals, went to the hospital with me, checked I was ok. You'll always find a warm & cheerful welcome.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Hi Norman
I travel alone, though I do have my dog with me and she is excellent company, and even if she doesn't talk to me I can talk to her :) But I am used to always having a dog around.

I use my travelling to do things that interest me or visit places I have wanted to visit but never got round to, so that is interesting in itself. Also travelling alone I find it easier to strike up a conversation, and before travelling that was the last thing I would have done - talk to strangers! But its surprising how many nice and interesting folk one meets.

Thats a lot of 'interestings" in one paragraph, but in fact travelling really is that - interesting. Think about the things you have always wanted to do, and just go and do them. :)

Alwick is wonderful - enjoy :)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
First Fun rally I went to I managed to fall out of a motorhome, get taken off to hospital with suspected fracture and ended up on crutches! All the other Funsters rallied round, looked after my animals, went to the hospital with me, checked I was ok. You'll always find a warm & cheerful welcome.

That sounds like an extreme way to meet Funsters!

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years

I don't do it. My four year relationship imploded and ex-partner got the motorhome, I kept the dog. Dog is great company but hopeless at giving directions or advice on whether or not the back end of motorhome is aligned with the LPG fill up point in service stations etc. So I don't travel far, I put the motorhome somewhere nice and commute back and forth to it.

Basically Norman, you need someone like me, because I need someone like you! :LOL:

Having said that, my motorhome is an American RV so I feel a bit out of place on this forum, I spend most of my time over on RVOC!!

Here's my co-pilot, you can see how useless he is, he couldn't even fight off a burglar ...

You want me to do what.jpg

unlike Dipping's dog which is a Great Dane and a very good guard dog! If you're booking in for Stratford message me, I'm booked in because it is a very short drive to get there from where I am!

So to be more precise, I'm happy in my own company with my dog, but the actual travelling, the driving, that's where I think it is "much more fun for two" as Winnie the Pooh said.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
DON'T GET A DOG!

I've been doing solo trips for years.
Far from dreading it I just can't wait to get back on the road.

I'm in a slightly different situation in that I'm married but my missus doesn't "do" motorhoming of any sort (she has tried it several times) whereas I could quite happily full time.
We compromise - I go off solo in my camper and after 4 or 5 weeks I meet up with her at some European airport and we have a holiday together in rented accommodation.

On my solo campervanning, apart from booking as far as Calais or Dunkerque, I just wander the French countryside as I find it. I fish, walk, cycle, metal detect, take pics, talk to locals, visit some tourist spots, walk the beaches, swim in the seas and generally just take each day as it comes - and always happy to detour from whatever "plan" I had for the day. I rarely end up at night where I thought I would. Never bored.
Sometimes I stay in one place for a while and sometimes (mostly) I move on to see what's around that next corner.
Sure there are times when it would be nice to have someone with me but that's not to be.

Not sure I could do it in the UK though - that I would find boring and so restrictive and regulated.

I think the answer for me is to have a lot of different things to do and grabbing anything new that I bump into.

Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that my great Grandmother was a Romany.

DON'T GET A DOG

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Tony,

Great post thanks for that and no chance of me ever getting a dog (n)

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I use my travelling to do things that interest me or visit places I have wanted to visit but never got round to

I think that's the best way for the lone traveller, try combining the days away in the 'van with other interests, whatever they may be. Nothing worse than ending up in a farmers field when it's raining and your on your own.

Getting a dog is an avenue, but needs some though, especially if buying a pup, they can be a real pain and test your patience no end. Mines a little over five months old now and "just" starting to settle down. Been good company though and I've had many a laugh with him.

Brian

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Norman
We've never met but just wanted to add another voice to those on here that said you're not alone.

I am lucky because I'm not on my own, so I'm going to be pretty useless as to any 'advice'.

What I will say is that you sound an incredibly strong person. Since the passing of your good lady, you picked yourself up and started over. Ok, so the next relashionship wasn't to be; could happen to us all at some point. BUT, once again, you have found the strength to get up, to get the van out and plan a trip. Indeed, you also found the strength to share your concerns with us.

It's not surprising that you're "dreading it" I'd say that that's perfectly normal. We are social animals. We thrive on interaction with others and when that's missing, it ain't easy to solve or endure. However, you are the kind of guy who WILL succeed. May take a while, I'll grant you, but you never know what's around life's corner. That is why it's a great idea to get the van out. Being inside the house prevents any opportunity of meeting people but once outside, your chances of a chat with others increases by 100%.

I would try a few Internet sites (not necessarily MH ones) to seek another partner. Doesn't have to be serious; I'm sure there are many gals out there who would love a day out in the MH.

Easy for me to say, I know, but your sincerity, warmth and strength comes over strongly in your post and if I can recognise it, then others will too.

Good luck mate
Keep in touch with us all
Regards
James

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sitting here van packed ready to go tomorrow and,

I am dreading it :unsure:

Reason being that I will be going on my own and it feels lonely already. I have only travelled on my own once and that was seven years ago after my wife died and I wanted to see how I felt being on my own, I didn't enjoy it so I sold the van.

The relationship I have been in for almost four years has fallen apart and I am having to force myself to get out on my own otherwise there is little point in having the van, I am staying at my sisters tomorrow night, brother in law seriously ill, and then I intend wilding until Tuesday when I am back to work.

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to running on the beaches, somewhere, and I am definitely going to finish up in Alnwick but ALONE :mm::mm:

Norman.
I've only just seen this thread I'm afraid.

If you are in the MCC and end up in Alnwick, Norman, the Northern Counties Group have a rally at the rugby club (more or less opposite Sainsburys and the swimming baths) until Monday lunchtime.
Unfortunately we couldn't get away this weekend or we would probably have been with them.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Maybe try travelling somewhere with another solo. Each with your own van but travelling together at first to somewhere you would both like to visit. In Portugal thus year there were two solos doing exactly that and it worked well I think .

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Many many thanks to all who have taken the time to encourage me, it is gratefully appreciated.
Sitting in the van here at Cresswell after a glorious day, if a little overcast.
Wilding it opposite a Caravan Park, each to their own.
Norman.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back