Pendle Hill in Lancashire - Anyone know the area well? (1 Viewer)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Hi all - I am travelling across from Leighton Moss by Morecambe Bay to Bacup in Lancashire and fancied spending a night up on the moors, or as near as possible to Pendle Hill.

Have spent ages on Google earth and it all looks narrow with no real parking opportunities. Any thoughts on where I might be able to stop

I was thinking of leaving v. early tomorrow morning and arriving before most folk are up- spending the day on the moor, or even in Newchurch in Pendle, though that looks pretty impossible, then leaving first thing Sat morning.

Any help appreciated :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry Sue, can't help except to say some of my ancestors were from that area and it's on my "to visit" list. Family stories claim we were related to one of the witches but I've found no evidence of that.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Thanks - anyone else out there can help? :) How's Martin feeling now?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
To cheer Martin up a bit - my Cayuga waddling down to my old pond
cayuga ducklings nearly full grown.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks - anyone else out there can help? :) How's Martin feeling now?

Thanks

He's doing great.... feeling and looking better than he has for a long time. I have to keep being firm about what he can and can't do though!

You might want to check out Barley. There is a pub there with a car park that you might be able to use if you ask, or even better the tourist information centre has a "drive through" car park. Buses go through the village so I don't think it can be too narrow.

Deleted User
On the 'Nick O'Pendle' road from Sabden to Clitheroe is a small parking area very near to the summit, a little further on is the Pendle Ski Club with a larger parking area but not sure if it would be possible to park there, maybe a phone call.
From the car park at the summit there is a nice circular walk around the perimeter of the hill with superb views f the weather is OK.
My brother was a PC in Bacup in the 60's and 70's.

Just noticed what you are driving, you may struggle round there as I am fairly sure there is a weight restriction on that road.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
The Well Springs pub right on the top of Pendle has a biggish carpark that they may let you stay on for such a brief spell, it is between Clitheroe and Padiham or alternatively just before Padiham there is another pub and if my memory serves me correct it is the Red Pump and they have a biggish carpark, If that all fails then instead of going into Bacup keep on the Todmorden road and after you cross a rail bridge with traffic lights on there is a biggish layby on your right. Oh and thinking about it on the Bacup road on a sharpish bend is a big layby where you would not be bothered for a one off overnight

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Oooooer just had chance to think about it and you are deffo heading in the wrong direction unless you have a cannot miss meet to attend in Bacup

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Bacup will be pretty busy on Saturday with the Britannia
Co-co nut dancers doing their boundary to boundary dance!

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Bacup will be pretty busy on Saturday with the Britannia
Co-co nut dancers doing their boundary to boundary dance!

Broken Link Removed
Yup - thats why I am going :)

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
On the 'Nick O'Pendle' road from Sabden to Clitheroe is a small parking area very near to the summit, a little further on is the Pendle Ski Club with a larger parking area but not sure if it would be possible to park there, maybe a phone call.
From the car park at the summit there is a nice circular walk around the perimeter of the hill with superb views f the weather is OK.
My brother was a PC in Bacup in the 60's and 70's.

Just noticed what you are driving, you may struggle round there as I am fairly sure there is a weight restriction on that road.

I am just under the 7.5 so most times I am okay (technically anyway) though my width does cause me problems (mine and TheBus' !!)

I think I am going to try your suggestion - will let you know how it works out :)

Last edited:

Deleted User
Just had a look on google maps and the large car park that I thought was for the Ski Club is in fact, as Laneside says,for the Well Springs which is apparently a Mexican Spanish restaurant. I forgot all about the pub, it is a few years since I was up there. Hope you enjoy your weekend.

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Thanks all - am now up on the banks of Pendle Hill - it was a nice easy drive with white lines up the middle of the road - and I am parked up with what promises to be a lovely view - if the rain lifts. Still it was raining before seven (before 5 in fact) so hopefully it will clear by midday if not before :)

OP
OP
dippingatoe

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
P4030007.JPG

The rain stopped and the clouds lifted just before the sun went down, but it was a lovely view then.

It looked too steep to make it to the top and by then the ground was saturated and very slippy so I just stayed by Thebus. But I can say I spent a night on Pendle Hill, though I didn't stay till morning as it seems a popular place on a Friday for the young boy racers to have a trial up the hill and a lark around when they reach the top. Can't blame them.... we were all young once :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back