Oh dear - I think my Elektroblock has died! (1 Viewer)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just finished running an additional cable to the EBL99 and fitted two new batteries (having convinced myself that the previous ones were on their way out).
I am confident that the new cabling has been done correctly and I am confident that I have installed 2 x 90 Ah Varta batteries correctly. I have also taken the opportunity to fit a fuse in the +ve feed from the solar panel into the LR1218 regulator. This is not to protect anything - merely to allow me to isolate the solar panel for work on the batteries (the regulator is fused at the EBL in any case). At this point, there is no fuse in the isolating holder and the solar panel is not supplying power.
The EBL has been shut down for about a week whilst I have been carrying out the work. About an hour ago I finished everything, switched on the main switch on the EBL -NOTHING! Not even the sound of the main relay switching in. I have tried working the switch a few times; resetting the 12V panel switch; plugging in to EHU (the charging routine works as the battery voltage goes up to over 14V).
I know there is 12V to the EBL from the new batteries as I can measure 12.7V at the rear EBL terminals (same as the rest voltage of the new batteries).
I am completely flumoxed. I had to move the EBL forward and up in order to run the new cable but I was careful - no sharp knocks. I guess it's a call to Udo Lang at Schaudt in the morning unless a Funster can come up with the answer (which I hope is not a new EBL!).

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Phillip does it have a battery cut off switch and if so is it off? I'm thinking it does in distant memory.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'll have a look at the EBL99 schematic in the morning to see if there's a possible fuse gone for you. PM me in the morning to remind me as tomorrow is a very busy day for me.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JeanLuc

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, on the front panel of the EBL and it is on. Some deeper problem I'm afraid.

OP
OP
JeanLuc

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I'll have a look at the EBL99 schematic in the morning to see if there's a possible fuse gone for you. PM me in the morning to remind me as tomorrow is a very busy day for me.

D.
Thanks Dave - I have a schematic but I'm not confident enough to read it completely to know what goes on inside the box so your advice would be gratefully received. It is an EBL99F but I think the basic layout is the same for the 99 series.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I had a strange problem with my ebl that turned out to be a loose spade connection on the battery feed.
All checked out with multi meter but it wasn't until disconnected and reconnected the spades that I found it.
I had the battery out and had been moving things around.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are saying the control panel is dead ? No mains LED and no 12V LED ? Anything on the meters ?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks to SandJ for the link, I've looked over the schematic and there are no internal fuses identified. First check I'd make is have you got +12V at pin 3 of the solar input (3 pin socket on front panel, pin 3 is the bottom one) with a good fuse in the solar slot? If yes then it would appear to be an internal issue in the EBL, if no then recheck the main input connections at the rear of the EBL.

D.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Thanks to SandJ for the link, I've looked over the schematic and there are no internal fuses identified. First check I'd make is have you got +12V at pin 3 of the solar input (3 pin socket on front panel, pin 3 is the bottom one) with a good fuse in the solar slot? If yes then it would appear to be an internal issue in the EBL, if no then recheck the main input connections at the rear of the EBL.

D.
Dave just incase the Ebl99f has a fuse you may find this helps on iPad and doesn't seem to work right
You may already be aware of this though

Broken Link Removed

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The EBL is charging Jim, it just won't switch on power to any equipment, at least that's how I read JL's initial post on this.

D.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The EBL is charging Jim, it just won't switch on power to any equipment, at least that's how I read JL's initial post on this.

D.

Which means metering the 10 way control panel connector Pins 9 (on) and 12 (off) to see if any change volts volts when 12v power switch is switched off on.

And what was the mysterious extra cable doing ?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
HI JL,
Just been reading thru' your thread,just in case your EBL might have expired this may be of some help; A&N Caravan Services, go to their new website and click on Schaudt Electroblock you should find alot of useful tips/information there.If you contact them I believe the person you want to speak to is Alan he should be able to help you with any EBL problems,I'm also told that they have a very quick turnaround on EBL repairs and apparently they are very competitive on repairs,so maybe all is not lost,be sure to check out the advice section under Schaudt,sorry I can't be of more help,hope this helps though.gwyntaxi.

OP
OP
JeanLuc

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Well - now I'm totally confused.

As I mentioned before, I was confident that all the work I had done was OK. I knew too, that 12V power from the batteries was getting to the back of the EBL - but the habitation 12V would not switch on. The EBL has two internal relays. Relay 1 is switched by the main switch on the front panel. This activates the system and supplies power to the step, doorway light and frost protection valve for the Truma. Relay 2 is switched by the 12V power switch in the control panel above the door. My problem was that Relay 1 would not switch on and so Relay 2 would not switch on the internal lights, pump, sockets etc.

About 2 hours after my last post, I went back to the Hymer to lock it up for the night and decided to give it one more try. On switching on the main switch on the front panel, I thought I heard a gentle click - tried it again with the same result. So I went to the hab door and switched on the 12V switch in the control panel - all the systems came on!

I can only assume that there is some form of capacitor in the EBL that has to become charged before Relay 1 can be activated and that leaving the system connected to the new batteries for some time allowed this to happen. I shall now send an email to Udo at Schaudt to confirm if this is the case, or whether I have just been lucky and some fault remains.
For now, I seem to have got a result. (y)

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
We're having trouble with our Ebl99 too.
We were on hook up and the safety cut out switch tripped, reset it and the 240v indicator light isn't lit and the batteries aren't charging. The 240 sockets work ok and the 12v system seems ok.
There is 240v getting to the Ebl and we do have a overload protector fitted.
Batteries seem to charge when running engine.
There is also a LAS 1218 under the passenger seat with 240v to it but nowt coming out(this seems to go to block 7 auxilary charger on the Ebl) I suspect this hasn't worked for some time.
So my assumption is that the charger inside the Ebl has gone, or is there something i've missed?

Merc S820 circa 2003 Batteries 3x 80Ah Exide gels, have checked fuses on front of Ebl and LAS 1218 (20A) both fine.

OP
OP
JeanLuc

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In your set-up, the LAS1218 is installed as an auxilliary charger so that a large battery bank does not overload the EBL99 (or make it painfully slow to recharge the bank). I guess, since it's a S820 that you have three leisure batteries. The LAS1218 can be connected in two ways but from your description, it is used as a boost charger to the EBL in which case its output simply goes into block 7 and from there direct to the batteries. To all intents and purposes it becomes an integrated unit with the EBL99 which already has one LAS1218 module within it.
Have you any idea why the 230V incoming switch tripped? Was it a supply voltage problem or perhaps did a failure of the EBL cause it? There is a fuse within the LAS1218 module inside the EBL and this may have gone. That would not explain why the external LAS1218 is not outputting any 12V though, unless the fuse in that has gone too. Are you confident that the overload protector is not at fault? If it is a Schaudt OVP1, persumably both the EBL99 and the external LAS1218 are supplied by it. I would suggest taking it out of the line and feeding the kettle leads directly into the two units to see if the overload protector is playing up. The 230V sockets in the van are on a separate circuit to the EBL/LAS1218 supply so will not be affected.
If this does not yield any results, I think you might need to consult an expert. Udo Lang at Schaudt is very helpful (see his email address in my earlier post) but he is on holiday until 13 April. I have no idea how to replace the internal 230V fuse in the EBL if this is the problem.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Have had a few problems on our 584 recently, thought it was battery problem but after changing still had a problem. Had email contact with Udo & he suggested the switch on the elb has a habit of corroding. I rocked the switch on & off a few times & got back to full function.
Udo suggested a good soak with switch cleaner & if that failed a new switch. Although seeming a simple repair apparently the switch is soldered into the internal circuit board. He quoted 50€ to fix once unit in Germany. Give the switch cleaner a go JL . Contact cleaner at Tool Station about £3.
Barrie

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Hi Philip
Thanks for your in depth reply. We're on an air on the Ile de Re and the EHU was plugged in and seemed to be fine then we lost power. Did an investigation and found that the safety cut out in the wardrobe had tripped, reset in and it stays on but there is no light for the 240v on the control panel, we also think the fridge is running on gas not switching to 240v.
Took the drivers seat out on Friday to get at the EBL (that was fun!!!!!) tested the kettle lead at the ebl (230v supplied) couldn't get to the LAS1218 under the passenger seat but got the volt stick in far enough to confirm live supply. Checked both 20A fuses (one each on LAS & Ebl ) both fine.
I did notice that the fridge seems to take a signal/feed from the charging relay inside the ebl (according to the wiring diagram) so assumed that that points to confirm a charger failure.
We only got the van in Oct so we're on a steep learning curve with it and are looking at solar and a b2b setup as we like to wild, that was on the list of things to do when we return from France in a couple of weeks, but this needs sorting first.

Paul

OP
OP
JeanLuc

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Had email contact with Udo & he suggested the switch on the elb has a habit of corroding. I rocked the switch on & off a few times & got back to full function.
Udo suggested a good soak with switch cleaner & if that failed a new switch. Although seeming a simple repair apparently the switch is soldered into the internal circuit board.
Barrie

Many thanks for this info Barrie. I think that is what has happened to mine. As I said in the first post, the EBL had been switched off for a week whilst I did some new wiring and fitted two new batteries. Then it would not switch on again at first but now seems to have corrected itself. I emailed Udo and he said he thought the switch might be faulty and that they could repair it, but did not mention contact cleaner. It is working OK at present but if it goes again I'll try a squirt (I always keep a can onboard).

OP
OP
JeanLuc

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We only got the van in Oct so we're on a steep learning curve with it and are looking at solar and a b2b setup as we like to wild, that was on the list of things to do when we return from France in a couple of weeks, but this needs sorting first.
Paul
My only advice on this would be to think carefully about a B2B charger. Sterling Power used to mention the fact that their B2B could cause a few issues with EBLs. I would not fit one although I understand it can be done. Definitely research it first and I would seek advice from Udo Lang before fitting one. Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de
Also, if you read the pages on A&N Caravan Services' website they advice against it http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php

Good luck with the present problem!

Feb 29, 2012
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Paul, coincidently we first had our problem on Isle d'Re last year.
If you get really stuck send me a PM, we're just outside Surgeres, not far from you, have a good tool kit if you need.
Barrie.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Hi Barrie
Thanks for your offer. We're going to limp around using what little solar we've got and alternator top ups, and then get it sorted when we're home. Glad i've finished converting the lights to LED otherwise it would be torches!
We were at the campsite at Surgeres last week, hope you're enjoying it, at least the weathers finally bucked up.
Thanks again.
Paul

OP
OP
JeanLuc

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Paul, I have been doing a bit more digging through my Schaudt and Hymer manuals. The fuses for both the internal and external LAS1218s are on the front panel of the EBL99 (see diagram - the extreme left hand fuse and 5th from the right). Have you checked these?
Also, the Hymer manual refers to s 230V automatic circuit breaker within the EBL. I think this is the same thing that I identified in the EBL99 circuit diagram as a fuse in the 230V line within the EBL. The solution given in the manual is to consult a Hymer dealer to have the system checked. (Or Udo Lang I guess).
EBL99 diagram.jpg

Feb 29, 2012
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Paul, we have a house here, so haven't camped in Surgeres. Nice town though, enjoy our time here, for what is over 10 years now.

JL I think I've seen, heard or read somewhere that the intenal fuse can be fairly easily changed if you're brave enough to have a go.

Barrie

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Philip, Thanks for your input, have investigated the fuses and the 20A fifth from left is missing, so there was obviously an issue with the auxilary charger. Popped a fuse in and there is 12v at front of charger but no lights on even though 230v is being supplied.
I suspect both chargers have gone so will sort thing out on return to UK.

Thanks again to you and Barrie for your help.

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back