Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, we're going to buy a sat nav and would like some guidance/recommendation please, I've read on here that a 7inch truck one is the one but I'm on eBay now and there are 95 of that description so if anyone could help narrow it down I would be most grateful, cheers Kevin

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Quite a few of us bought the garmin camper from aldi last week, seems very good. Someone was still lucky finding one in stock yesterday, might be worth a phone call or a trip.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cheers Carolyn, wife's going to call in now, I'd actually just read a post about them that I must of missed Kevin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tony Campbell

Free Member
Mar 15, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
None
I have just bought a Snooper Venture 8500, and am very pleased with it, it's not cheap at £450 but has a Dab radio and free view tv, together with lifetime maps.
I am new to the mh scene and wanted to buy the best unit.
Regards
Tony in Enfield

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
the first question is whether you need one. I have some great apps on my phone with both online and offline mapping. The maps are updated frequently and some are free.

If you specifically need a dedicated sat nav from all that has been said on here I would go for the Chinese truck sat naV.

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Hello

I recently purchased this Broken Link Removed off eBay for just under £36.00 delivered!

I must admit that I was a bit nervous wondering if it would be rubbish, but at that price I thought that even if it was, well I'd not lost much money!

Well I can tell you that it is fine. It has the iGO mapping software which is nice and clear. You can set your vehicle's dimensions and weight and it will then avoid any restrictions on your route. I am so pleased that I didn't purchase one of the expensive units.

I'm sure that there will be quite a few people who would rather spend a few hundred pounds on a Sat Nav, but believe me this Chinese Truck Sat Nav at 1/10th the price of some of the well known makes is WELL worth the money.

I have said before on this forum that the sale of portable Sat Navs has plummeted in the past couple of years due to two factors. 1) Most new vehicles come with Sat Nav already fitted. 2) Most smart 'phones have a Sat Nav app.

You would think that TomTom and Garmin would be almost giving them away to get rid of old stock.

Let me give an example of how some people would rather pay more for an item.

Lidl shortbread is made by Walkers (seen on a factory tour at their Speyside factory). It is of course put in a Lidl package. An acquaintance of ours who buys Walkers' shortbread on being told this said that she wouldn't buy the Lidl shortbread because it was 'cheap'.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

As for me the £300.00 I saved on the Sat Nav, well that will put a lot of diesel in the tank of my MH! :)

KH

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You would think that TomTom and Garmin would be almost giving them away to get rid of old stock.
Quite apart from that, TomTom have shot themselves in the foot by going down the Snooper route of not allowing addition of third party PoI sets. Snooper seemed to have a "customers know nothing and mean nothing" attitude when I spoke to them at a show about 7 or 8 years ago and didn't seem to have changed in subsequent discussions.

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
So does the Chinese special actually work, in terms of route navigation based on the vehicle dimensions you set? How much space remains on the 4GB version with all UK and EU maps preloaded (room for updates?), or is the 12GB worth considering instead for a few quid more? I see the vendor has some negative feedback for not allowing return of allegedly defective units, anyone here been impacted or encountered reliability issues?

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I have a Tom tom, Garmin, cheap Chinese Truck Nav, various SatNav apps on my tablet and phone including Sygic, Navigation, and Route 66. In addition I have an old version of Autoroute and Memory Map on my mini laptop....Les keeps telling me to "get lost"... I can't!! (But I can get confused!!) :think:

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So does the Chinese special actually work, in terms of route navigation based on the vehicle dimensions you set? How much space remains on the 4GB version with all UK and EU maps preloaded (room for updates?), or is the 12GB worth considering instead for a few quid more? I see the vendor has some negative feedback for not allowing return of allegedly defective units, anyone here been impacted or encountered reliability issues?
Yes it works based on vehicle dimensions. Space depends on the number of different maps you have loaded. If they don't exceed 4GB then you can run the software from either the unit or MicroSD card. If they are larger you need a MicroSD card big enough.

Upvote 0

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
CoPilot Premium HD Europe for around £27 (now on offer) to use on iPad or iPhone is well worth considering at a fraction of the price of a dedicated SatNav – and it works!

We meander through France when on holiday and after years of arguing about which route to take and which way to go at un-sign posted road junctions we haven't had any problems since getting a CoPilot.

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Do you find that sat nav apps on tablet have a tendency to show the vehicle icon seem to be some distance away from the actual road or they make a detour from the road even if you don't!!? Perhaps it's my Lenovo tablet that does not pick up the GPS signal too well?

Upvote 0

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
We have an iPad and everything seems to work okay with no problems at all and it's never taken us anywhere but the destination we've put into it.

Upvote 0

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Why pay anything ????? Just leaving Morocco after travelling round with Maps.me never let me down and had some roads on that tom Tom and garmin didn't.

Upvote 0
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I have just bought a Snooper Venture 8500, and am very pleased with it, it's not cheap at £450 but has a Dab radio and free view tv, together with lifetime maps.
I am new to the mh scene and wanted to buy the best unit.
Regards
Tony in Enfield

I have had other sat navs in the past but the best by far is the Snooper Venture 8500!! In my opinion you get what you pay for! (y)

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Unless you go into Lidl and then buy Walkers shortbread! :)

KH
We sometimes buy Lidl's own brand of biscuits for cheese. Good selection, cheaper than Jacobs and very tasty. Some months ago they only had Jacobs in stock so we bought a box and were very disappointed, smaller selection and less flavour.
Often Lidl are better than major brands, not just the same (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back