Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have a 2009 Swift Kontiki 669 with the Trauma blown air heating system. I am having a few problems with the heating in that when turned on gas for blown air heating and heating water, the system heats up to a temperature set by the dial thermostat then turns itself off, all Ok one thinks. The temperature then drops and I would expect the system to kick in and heat the van up again. Alas this does not happen. It requires me to turn off the heating then turn back on and the heating works up to the set temp and then shuts down. Has anybody else experienced this issue and how was it resolved. I suspect a faulty thermostat but just asking

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It might just be the LOCATION of the thermostat.
Some manufacturers put them in the most stupid places where they are not measuring an average air temperature.
Bad locations are above heater vents and on cold walls next to fridge compartments and the like.
Try pulling the sensor out and letting it dangle in mid air on its wires to see if it improves things before getting too worried about other problems.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
It might just be the LOCATION of the thermostat.
Some manufacturers put them in the most stupid places where they are not measuring an average air temperature.
Bad locations are above heater vents and on cold walls next to fridge compartments and the like.
Try pulling the sensor out and letting it dangle in mid air on its wires to see if it improves things before getting too worried about other problems.
Thanks its just below knee height on the bench seat as you enter the van on the left. Had the van for 6 years have not come across this problem before

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like the thermostat to me.

Switching one way only.

And thats a stupid height for it......the recommended height for a household thermostsat is 1.5mtrs above floor level....what makes motorhomes different ?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
knee height is not a good place for a stat usually recomended at around 5 ft high in a room cant see why a motorhome should be any different

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Working on the principle that hot air goes up I would expect the cold area to be at knee/ ankle level, thus I can see why in the van they have put it there. I think I shall replace that part and see what happens.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It shouldn't turn off, once up to temp the burner should turn down to a low heat an the fan speed goes right down, you can just about feel the air coming out of the vents.
Sounds like a overheat sensor on the boiler shutting it down, could be the flue fan faulty running slow or the flue intake/outlet partly blocked not unknown for spiders to build nests in the flue outlet. Another thing to check is that most of the vents around the van are open if too many are closed can cause overheating, also make sure none of the outlet pipes have come off the heater outlets on the boiler.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
An easy test of its the thermostat is to disconnect it (it's two black push on connectors top right of the board.. Or just follow the cable..) once disconnected the heater should stay on.. If it cuts out then its possibly a overheat sensor on the unit that's faulty

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
All vents are open, the heating does shut down.There is no small background fan running heat. Its a case of nothing even in the middle of the night stat set at 4or 5 (that it i want loads of heat)nothing unless I turn off and on then full blast until I turn down to number 2 then it slows down and then switches off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All vents are open, the heating does shut down.There is no small background fan running heat. Its a case of nothing even in the middle of the night stat set at 4or 5 (that it i want loads of heat)nothing unless I turn off and on then full blast until I turn down to number 2 then it slows down and then switches off.
Like I said shouldn't switch off unless there is a fault. Have you checked that all the heating pipes are connected to the boiler they are often just held on with will power, if one drops off the area around the boiler gets hot & boiler overheats, and as I said earlier check the flue for obstructions, to check the flue fan you would have to dissmantel the boiler.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back