auto satellite dishes - advice please (1 Viewer)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've got a manual sat dish on the roof which we cant be bothered with as it takes so much time to set up and in windy conditions is more trouble than its worth.

Been looking at auto sat dishes and wondering whether worth buying and what others have and are using.

Any advice welcome. Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a Snipe, as cheap as some of the manual ones. Works very well, reception on Astra 2 as far south as northern Provence.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I can only offer advise based on my own experiences and those of folk I have spoken to on the subject..
We have an 80cm Oyster system.
It has worked really well and has given us full sky coverage all over Europe.
I know a couple of people who have the domed type units who have been unable to get Sky very far down Europe at all.

On top of that, the domes are, contrary to what you would expect, far from aerodynamic and do nothing for fuel consumption.. where as the Oyster ( and similar systems ) lay very flat to the roof and cause little windage

I can recommend any of the traders on Fun as suppliers and fitters as they are all, without exception extremely competent and competative, and also Jacksons if they are closer to you than other options.

If you are mechanically able and wish to fit a system your self it is pretty straight forward and I, along with many others, would be able to assist either physically or verbally should you decide to just buy a kit and 'have a go'

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
depends where you want to use it . if you are wanting to use it in spain or portugal then the bigger the better and in my opinion you cant get better than an oyster vision 85 cm dish. if its uk and northern europe use then as said the snipe is a great little unit.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
setting up a manual dish is easy once you have an idea what other sats are either side of the one you want. They are not on the same elevation either. Understanding is 99% of the answer. Anyone who comes down is welcome to a free tutorial and demo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have a dome, very easy to use and apart from tree obstructions has always found a good picture in the UK, not so when abroad, but we don't tend to use as much anyway

As for mpg, we get lousy mpg anyway, but I tend to think that is due to pushing something the shape of a brick and weighing 5 tons, I really cant see the round dome on top affecting it enough to moan about

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
We have a camos dome, on our recent return journey from spain we used it on our first night in France (AGEN) we had a perfect picture on Astra 2 N, never thought about aerodynamics but dont think its a problem.

Eric

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had an Oyster 80cm on the last van, as said now have a Snipe not noticed any difference in reception throughout France. Biggest problem with the Oyster and other large dishes you loose reception or need to put the dish down in high winds, not had that problem with the Snipe.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Yes we have the Oyster 80cm and we do bring it down in strong wind ,Not sure how good the Snipe is by comparison lol

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have a camos dome, on our recent return journey from spain we used it on our first night in France (AGEN) we had a perfect picture on Astra 2 N, never thought about aerodynamics but dont think its a problem.

Eric

france is not the problem, but further afield....................

We had an Oyster 80cm on the last van, as said now have a Snipe not noticed any difference in reception throughout France. Biggest problem with the Oyster and other large dishes you loose reception or need to put the dish down in high winds, not had that problem with the Snipe.

Why ? About the only reason I could think of for dropping our dish is if it was poorly fitted.
Ours ( self fitted ) has been up in some pretty lively stuff ( 80mph once though I must be honest and say that time did make me bloody twitchy !!!! )

To paraphrase Scottie from Star Trek, 'ya canna change the laws of physics capt'n'

Just as there is no real replacement for cubic inches in an engine, there is absolutely no replacement for dish size !

Ultimately it is the choice of the individual, and if you do not intend travelling too far the Snipe ( which really is a most excellent system ) will be fine.
If like us you intend going a little further than France and northern Spain then you will need an 80cm dish to give you the best chance of success

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks everyone, lots to think about but great feedback and always good to get first hand experience rather than salesmans patter.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If I was buying again (I have a 40cm roadpro dome) given the price I would without doubt buy the Snipe but with twin LNB and mounting plate at only £669 delivered it is a steal.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
If I was buying again (I have a 40cm roadpro dome) given the price I would without doubt buy the Snipe but with twin LNB and mounting plate at only £669 delivered it is a steal.
What do you think of the snipe max pro, how far south do you think that would work and is it worth the extra dosh?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No idea but my dome works throughout France

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I can get a new snipe with mounting plate from germany inc postage costs for £540 which is a steel. Ive also been offered a 2nd hand oyster vision 2 perfect condition but from a right off mh for £750. Or neither !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back