Newbie have I made big mistake? (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Morning all ✋ I'm new to the forum but been reading through the threads for a month or two gaining some knowledge on MHs. On Saturday we went toHarrogate show and ended up buying a Hymer C Class 2007 model I've read Hymers are good reliable vans, now my issue is we bought from Glossop Caravans I've since read reviews on them and am now panicking! It's really took the shine off the excitement of buying the MH! Anyway hello from me I'm probably going to be asking loads of questions.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Welcome to Fun...

There is good and bad in all dealers..

Dealers sell hundreds of MoHo`s.... but you only hear of the bad buy`s.... very rarely does a dealer get good praise..

You pay`s your money and takes your chance..

Just enjoy your new found freedom..(y)

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN the best forum on the net for all your motorhome questions, the Universe and beyond and I'm sure someone will be along to say you've bought one of the best vans that money can buy. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Buyers Remorse. It's common the morning after a big purchase. I'm, sure you'll be fine. :) Yes they do seem to have a few disgruntled customers But I'm sure they have many happy one's too. Have you paid for it in full or just paid a deposit? Hopefully you still owe them money, because that's a sure fire way to get any dealer busy to make sure you are happy by putting things right. With many dealers once they have all your money it can be difficult to get the focus that they had before you paid them. Either way I would suggest you get an independent motorhome inspection and start from there. Be careful, don't let your excitement take over. Never take the motorhome or part with the cash until you have had a test drive and are COMPLETELY happy about all of the aspects from engine to habitations. All that said; you have bought a great make of van and probably have no cause for concern. Happy travels (y)

Oh and welcome to the fun :)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Morning all ✋ I'm new to the forum but been reading through the threads for a month or two gaining some knowledge on MHs. On Saturday we went toHarrogate show and ended up buying a Hymer C Class 2007 model I've read Hymers are good reliable vans, now my issue is we bought from Glossop Caravans I've since read reviews on them and am now panicking! It's really took the shine off the excitement of buying the MH! Anyway hello from me I'm probably going to be asking loads of questions.

It was quite a few years ago but I bought my first caravan from glossop Caravans. it was a good van at a reasonable price and the after sales service was all that could be expected. I wouldn't have an issue if the next campervan I wanted was for sale by them.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome (y)simply go through your new van and make sure everything is working /undamaged etc before parting with your money (in full, assume, deposit paid) If anything is broken/not working make sure it's done --then ENJOY (y)-you may be lucky and nothing goes wrong so you won't have to see dealer again (y):DDon't worry about what may go wrong ;)ENJOY,ENJOY
terry
EDIT what Jim says above while I was typing :D

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
now my issue is we bought from Glossop Caravans I've since read reviews on them and am now panicking!
We have had four 'tug' caravans from them (admittedly in the past), but found them OK. One point I always found was, any issues, forget the phone, go down there and see the boss. Things get sorted pronto that way. (y)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We have had four 'tug' caravans from them (admittedly in the past), but found them OK. One point I always found was, any issues, forget the phone, go down there and see the boss. Things get sorted pronto that way. (y)

Always used to ask if I could pop it in, leave it a few days. Never a problem and bits were replaced or fixed every time. Always came back clean. Only stopped taking the caravan back to them when the grp started cracking with age and paying them to chase round with sealant was getting silly.

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
If you bought it and are happy and it all works, no problem, nothing lasts forever so it will be expected for things to wear out and break as time goes on
Dont push the panic button yet ,

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
and I have thought about getting an independent inspection as well,
As long as the inspection is by a qualified person, with no 'connection' to the dealer, and the dealer is happy with that, then good idea. (y)

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Ive done this many a time! Make a purchase,,,then read into things lol, i wouldnt worry yourself to much, at the end of the day as with buying any second hand product (And new come to think of it) issues and snags come with it, jus deal with them as and when they arise, and have great fun along the way! I always look at it as the vehicle having character, doesnt feel as bad that way ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi & welcome, Hymer's are pretty solid vans, very unlikely to find any damp in a Hymer of that age the body construction is superior to most other makes, if there are any problems more likely to be with fixtures such as heating & fridge, just make sure everything works correctly.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
very unlikely to find any damp in a Hymer of that age the body

You could have the best van in the world but if someone subsequently poorly fits an awning, a sat dish, a windscreen a solar panel or a replacement window ect ect then you could have real damp problems whatever the make.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our second van was a Hymer - it is now well over 30 years old and still on the road. Was a fabulous vehicle and we only sold it due to a house move and the kids leaving home.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome to the fun here, I wouldn't worry unduly about it, you will enjoy it.
They can all have things wrong with them, even new ones unfortunately.
Norman.

PS, got a 2006 HYMER myself.

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Tucano Two, any issues things I need to look out for with the Hymer? Just looking forward to collecting it! I think everybody's words of wisdom have eased my fears and the excitement of it all is coming back again!

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
You could have a list as long as your arm and it would scare you to death, just ensure you get a good understanding of how things work and I personally would not expect everything to be perfect because nothing ever is :-o

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Don't panic. You are not alone. As mentioned above, it is normal for doubts to creep in after a big purchase.
You've done your research and picked a van with an excellent reputation from an established dealer with many happy customers.
If normal 'due diligence' has been/is being carried out then all should be fine.

Some people who voice complaints seem to expect absolute perfection, which is impossible to achieve even in a new m/h, as they are all hand built.

I've seen it said that 'A motorhome is a dwelling which survives an earthquake every time it is used' . Given that sobering thought is'nt it remarkable that a motorhome is far more robust than most houses?

The worst part is waiting for delivery/pickup. Once you get it home and start fiddling about your current doubts will fade away.

Best of luck and enjoy! (y)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I had major issue with Glossop and would never deal with them again on principle (major damp in a 2 year old van )
but in fairness to them the staff were very good with us and did try to help I only fell out with the sales director

it seems you are happy with the van and price
my advice would be
make sure your warranty is in order
ask for a copy of up to date damp check report (a must in my opinion)
check the van yourself and take your time doing if you see anything you do not like or are unsure about get them to either fix it then
or make them (not you) make a record of your concerns in handover log

most of the time people end up with a first class van
and lets face it hymer are about as good as you can get

now load up (bet you forget something:rolleyes::whistle:)
bugger off somewhere nice and enjoy yourselves life's too short
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks again!

GJH worse than that I chose to live there lol moved from Middlesbrough!

I was going to email the sales guy and raise my concerns ask what my warranty covers and ask about the seeing the damp check report before we go to collect the van, do you think that's fair? I though it would be good to have an email as well with my concerns. Have also invested in a non invasive moisture reader, I thought it best to stay on there site over night so we could do all the checks. Finger crossed all will be fine.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks again!

I was going to email the sales guy and raise my concerns ask what my warranty covers and ask about the seeing the damp check report before we go to collect the van, do you think that's fair? I though it would be good to have an email as well with my concerns. Have also invested in a non invasive moisture reader, I thought it best to stay on there site over night so we could do all the checks. Finger crossed all will be fine.
An escapee, well done (y)(y)

Seems fair enough to ask for the report as they should do the check.

You'll need to pay a tenner now to post more though - good value :)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Thanks again!

First things first, welcome to the fun house, actually known as the mad house.

There good thing is you`ve joined a friendly bunch that will help you in every way possible.

Ok so your going to pick up this Hymer, Glossop will do a hand over, don`t be afraid to ask questions, easy for us lot to say as we know the right questions to ask.
Go through everything, water, hot and cold, were are the isolation valves?
How do you heat the water?
Heating how does it work, Gas/Electricity, or both?
The habitation Battery, how does it charge?
Toilet, how does it flush, were do I empty it from?
Habitation lighting, how does it work, are they LED bulbs?
Is there a solar panel, how does that work, charge the batteries etc?
Are the water tanks insulated, how do you drain them and the water system when laying up for the winter?
Fridge, oven get the person doing the handover to show you how they work?
Spare wheel, were is it?
Alarm system if fitted, how does that work?

All paper work, ask them to explain everything, they should give you the results of a Damp Test.
Full service history of both habitation and engine, any MOT`S.

Are there any extras included, i.e. EHU lead, Levelling Ramps, Gas Bottles, Awning, ask all about those.

Hymers as you have already been advised of are a well built motorhome with a pretty reliable pedigree so get it home and enjoy.

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Hi and welcome from South Glos. :smiley:

Join us or log in to post a reply.