Sky box - using. Astra one in Dolomites Italian Alps?? (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Help required!!
We can pick up Astra 1 ( for what it worth) but how do we run the Sky box using this satellite, if in deed we can?? It maybe we're contacting it up wrong ( hoping something simple) but anybody have any suggestions / answers??

Thanks all as always :)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
As above if its a true sky box it will only work on Astra 2.

and unless you have a fairly big sat dish ( 80 cm plus ) you are unlikely to get astra 2 strong enough assuming you can find it. ( in the Dolomite's )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not a whole lot of help but with a decent LNB replacing the standard one ( something that is rated with a .1dB noise figure ) I get full sky package right down to the very southern tip of Spain with our 80cm dish

Changing the LNB is simple. Undo the two bolts clamping it in place, unscrew the cable connector, screw cable to new LNB and refit to arm.

It is also worth mentioning the further south you go, the more 'skew' is required on the LNB.
That is just the amount 'off vertical' the LNB is.
Down where you are, stand in front of the dish. Release the LNB fixing bolts and twist said LNB to about 25 minute to the hour or slightly clockwise..That will help a lot even on the poorer LNB's

Footnote.
The higher the noise figure quoted for an LNB, the poorer it is, so one with a noise figure of say .4dB is much worse than a .1dB unit

Footnote.
LNB stands for Low Noise Block

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That was as of two weeks ago.. We have only just got back to the UK having been there since mid January.. and just to make things a bit nore interesting, the sky view to the satellite was partially obscured by trees that were very close !
In fact I might have a picture somewhere to prove it :) !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I should actually quantify my rather sweeping statement that we got all the sky package..
This is absolutely true.. Everything from all the various factual channels, the various free film channels and all the usual Sky one such as Atlantic, SciFi etc etc etc

BUT we did not get any of the BBC channels or the ITV ones ( such as BBC1,2,3, and 4 and all the variations of ITV ( too many to list LOL !! ) )

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Why have you gone to Spain to watch English tv, you could have stayed at home and watched the utter crap

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Sorry I should have said, you've no chance of getting sky in the Dolomites, take a book

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Why are you being so obsequious Mark ?
Did a telly bite you when you was a small child ? :ROFLMAO:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It is also worth mentioning the further south you go, the more 'skew' is required on the LNB.
That is just the amount 'off vertical' the LNB is.

East or in your case West :wink:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry I should have said, you've no chance of getting sky in the Dolomites, take a book
But wouldn't that have to be a book written in Italian if you don't think people should watch English language TV outside the UK? :):):)

But I agree about not needing TV. In a way I'm glad you can't get BBC because it does actually make us read books, play Scrabble and go out and speak to perfect strangers!

And as for Sky....

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I have to agree with Jaws we have had Astra 2 all the way down through Spain and into the Algarve and back.we also use a 12 volt Pace sky box with paid for card and got most of the Sky channels, for what they are worth, with the exception of anything from ITV or BBC

Hey never ring Sky up from abroad or they will switch your card off and switch it on at least fortnightly or they may also switch it off

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
When we were based on the Costa Blanca, we were told that Sky channels are on the Astra 2 group at 28 east - this is on the "European beam". So its reception is better than those channels (BBC & ITV) which are on the "UK" beam.

Hence you can use a smaller dish for channels on the European beam than for channel on the UK beam. A dish of 80cm should be fine to receive it.

But a 60 or 70cm dish can be used for Astra 1 group of satellites - at 19.2 east, which carry Sky News International, BBC World News, CNN.... and is used for Spanish, and German satellite TV also.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Why have you gone to Spain to watch English tv, you could have stayed at home and watched the utter crap

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I quite like Derren Litten's series 'Benidorm'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun