LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I have a 2.7 automatic A class Mercedes Rapido weighing in at about 3600 Kg and find the power to weight ratio completely satisfactory. I am looking for a new or nearly automatic motorhome of a similar spec. and they mostly have 2.2 Mercedes or 2.3 Fiat engines so I am a bit concerned that they may be underpowered and the 3.0 models are far rarer (and much more expensive)

What to do?

Any thoughts?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Our Rapido is plated at 3850 and has the 2.3 engine. I don't find it under powered at all.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
In the past, the bigger the engine the better but over the last nine years engine design has improved enormously, with more economical and powerful engines that now have the capacity that a few years ago, would be associated with an average car. I have a standard 2.3 Fiat turbo that easily goes up the steepest hills, usually in sixth gear, pulling my 3.8 ton van far better than my old 2.8 litre could pull a much lighter van. I also get around 30mpg whereas my older van may get 25mpg on a good day.
Alan

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
With the Merc, it depends on the specification of the 2.2 litre engine. Assuming your current Rapido is from the early 2000s, its 2.7 (CDi) has a power output of 156 bhp (nominally referred to as a 160 engine). The newer 2.2 versions can have various power outputs - 95 bhp, 129 bhp, 163 bhp. Check which spec is on any van you are interested in. I would think either the 129 or 163 would be good. The newer engines have better torque output I believe, and the new auto boxes have 6 (or more) ratios.

I have the same set-up as you: 316 chassis (with 2.7 engine) 5-speed full auto box. The GVW is 3,800 kg and the combination has loads of oomph!

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
We have a 3 ltr in our 4500kg Hymer and its way to powerful. Don't even have to change down going over the Pyrenees ,unless on the back roads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Any thoughts?

Interesting user name for a Lee on Solent resident, You in exile ma loon ? :)

On the power to weight jobbie I think the engine cc is sometimes irrelevent as the same engine with different chip profile can have either higher speed/revs or max torque. Very different equations. My 2.2 can have 100, 130, 150 ratings.

Some grease monkey will be along soon and clarify it all. (y)

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Interesting user name for a Lee on Solent resident, You in exile ma loon ? :)

On the power to weight jobbie I think the engine cc is sometimes irrelevent as the same engine with different chip profile can have either higher speed/revs or max torque. Very different equations. My 2.2 can have 100, 130, 150 ratings.

Some grease monkey will be along soon and clarify it all. (y)

Thanks for your reply - I am indeed in exile, originally from Portmahomack on the Dornoch Firth about 40 miles North of Inverness, arrived here via 24 short but colourful years service in the RN

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I am indeed in exile

...and your Avatar, a Centaur or maybe a Griffon?

I have argued on here on many occasions the benefits of the larger engine, and even today with engines becoming more and more thermally efficient, there ain't no substitute for CUBES.

The smaller very efficient engines will pull you along more than adequately, the larger engine will do it without breaking into a sweat and probably without changing down.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm on my second 2.3 Fiat a cracking engine very smooth with loads of power, first one was a 130ps, current one a 150ps.
The 130 had plenty of power would pull a fully laden 3.5T van up the steepest hills & cruise at highly illegal speeds on motorways. The 150 certainly has a lot more grunt and worth the extra dosh, should only need the 3Lt in the biggest heaviest vans, it's a lot of extra dosh & carries a 50kg weight penalty.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
...and your Avatar, a Centaur or maybe a Griffon?

I have argued on here on many occasions the benefits of the larger engine, and even today with engines becoming more and more thermally efficient, there ain't no substitute for CUBES.

The smaller very efficient engines will pull you along more than adequately, the larger engine will do it without breaking into a sweat and probably without changing down.

Avatar - my Macwester Rowan Crown

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think 156hp
The Fiat 2.5 litre engine has more or less the same power but as you have an automatic, which I assume is a torque converter one, not the SprintShift then you would probably get pretty much the same amount of power at the rear wheels as you have now with a 2.3 litre Fiat engine and the Comfortmatic 'box.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back