Motorhome weight. Close to the limit. Help (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi all. Just been down the wheighbridge today as a final check before our first time to Europe with a motorhome. Full fuel and water, bikes and a load of bricks to cover for clothes and food. Even half filled the toilet (with fresh water I might add). Worst case scenario. We got 3 weights on the ticket and to my supprise I'm 100 kg over 3.5t and 50kg over on the rear axle.
My question is this. Do I look a getting rid of weight and moving stuff around only half fill the water and make sure the toilet is empty and be close to the limit or upgrade the van weight
I'm concerned that upping the weight may give us problems when travelling around France as we wish to avoid tolls and going over 3.5t may limit travelling through small villages.
Any advice is most appreciated(y) as I've spent most of the day panicking and weighing. The only thing is swmbo cannot be left behind:smiley:

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
What is your intention regarding your overnight stays. If you are wild camping you are going to need water on board. If you intend to use stops planed ahead, do they have water for you to top up and put sufficient to cover the time you are staying. That way you can loose a large amount of weight with carrying just sufficient water to cover you until you stop

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You could leave out some of the water and possibly even a few of the bricks and I guess you would sneak in pretty close to 3.5t certainly close enough for your trip and then think about updating when you get home. I can't see updating affecting the toll class as it seems to be height or number of axles that is the trigger, if you wanted to apply for a class 2 Toll Tag that might be different, as for 3.5tonne weight limits in villages I don't think many people worry about these too much, again as long as you are only a smudge over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Don't take all the water, not sure how big your fresh water tank is but only fill it half or a third full. A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter - or a litre weighs a kilo.

How many clothes and how much food are you taking? Are you sure that would weigh as much as "a few bricks"? Enough food for a day or two should be plenty! They do have food (and shops) in Europe :)

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
After removing a few items that would probably never be used I think we are down to 20kg over. That's with 50% water. Not really planning to wild camp this year as we are new to this and want to see how it goes first so could lose more water

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi Fragle,

Don't be worried about driving a van of more than 3.5t in France we are 4t and don't use tolls never been a problem.

You should however try and get your van within the weight limits. I would be more worried that you are exceeding the axle limit, from my understanding this is a definite no no as far as the authorities are concerned if you are weighed. You should look at how the weight is distributed and move some from the back to the front.

If you have a lot of weight behind the rear axle even getting rid of the 100kg overall excess you have may not bring the back axle within limits.

What van have you got?

Lunarman

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
We only ever travel with 1/4 tank even fully loaded we still have 450 kg spare. We don't carry water as we only use aires and never had any probs topping up. We only travel in the winter.
The reason we only have 1/4 of a tank is to save fuel especially going over the Pyrenees.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Don't take all the water, not sure how big your fresh water tank is but only fill it half or a third full. A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter - or a litre weighs a kilo.

How many clothes and how much food are you taking? Are you sure that would weigh as much as "a few bricks"? Enough food for a day or two should be plenty! They do have food (and shops) in Europe :)
Hi. Yes I've already re calculated that. I think more shopping trips may be 1 answer. I tried to get worst case scenario. It was worth doing if only to see how much we don't need:)

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi Fragle,

Don't be worried about driving a van of more than 3.5t in France we are 4t and don't use tolls never been a problem.

You should however try and get your van within the weight limits. I would be more worried that you are exceeding the axle limit, from my understanding this is a definite no no as far as the authorities are concerned if you are weighed. You should look at how the weight is distributed and move some from the back to the front.

If you have a lot of weight behind the rear axle even getting rid of the 100kg overall excess you have may not bring the back axle within limits.

What van have you got?

Lunarman
Hi lunarman

I've got an Adria coral. The rear axle is the main issue I know I need to carry 3 bikes and a dog trailer. I've been able to move some weight forward and ditch some garage rubbish. Think I'll get another check before we go.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hi. Yes I've already re calculated that. I think more shopping trips may be 1 answer. I tried to get worst case scenario. It was worth doing if only to see how much we don't need:)

I agree. We did the same last year and then a couple of weeks ago.

Food wise I tend to take enough for a couple of breakfasts, a few emergency tins and a prepared salad plus a hot meal in the slow cooker for when we arrive.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Daft question, you said 3 bikes. So is that 3 people plus the dog. Have you included the weight of you 3 and the dog ?

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi
Have you thought about going on SV Tech's website?
They have a really good weight calculation for helping distribution on your axles.
I've just uprated my GVW with them - it cost about £200 and took about a week from oaying until the new plate was sent.
I'm still awaiting my revised logbook though from the DVLA.
As for your current situation, I'd try and stay within the weight limit incase VOSA pulls you.
As mentioned earlier by others, I don't think France will be fussed if you're over 3500.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi
Have you thought about going on SV Tech's website?
They have a really good weight calculation for helping distribution on your axles.
I've just uprated my GVW with them - it cost about £200 and took about a week from oaying until the new plate was sent.
I'm still awaiting my revised logbook though from the DVLA.
As for your current situation, I'd try and stay within the weight limit incase VOSA pulls you.
As mentioned earlier by others, I don't think France will be fussed if you're over 3500.
Had a look on the website today. Not sure if it was a good idea. That's why I've asked the question. Would this increase the axle weight?

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
My Son worked this out when he was at primary school:-

Fill your water tank to the brim, then boil it all off so that you are left with a tank full of de-hydrated water. This will also reduce the weight of gas that you are carrying. If your water tank is 250l this will save you a quarter of a tonne on it's own!
When you get to the site you simply re-activate the tank of de-hydrated water by adding water. Job done!

Serious now - You will need to carry some reasonable amount of water because it can be a bit of a devil for us less experienced travellers to find it when you want it. We had two trips to France over winter and of course many camp sites are closed and water is turned off at many Aires to prevent frost damage. Things probably improve after Easter.

Be ruthless with weight saving and put more weight towards the front. I put tool kit and snow chains etc under/next to the cab seats.

Most of all, enjoy your fist time in Europe. The roads are delightful and the freedom is addictive. Best wishes:cheers:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
If you fill in the SV Tech form they will tell you what the van can be uprated to as is and what modifications will be required to raise the weight limits to a specified level.

There are a number of factors affecting the uprating e.g. wheel and tyre size and rating, suspension type, ABS braking fitted etc.

SV Tech are the people to ask.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Mine uprated the two rear axles (as its a tag Axle)
What size and type of tyres are a factor as well.
I have Avon 225/75/R16 C tyres on the front and Michelins CP on the rear.
The CP seem better for taking more weight than the C

Oh and by the way, vat is on top

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
If you're in any doubt, phone SV Tech and ask for a chap called Gareth - he's the sales manager and was very helpful

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
we have an Adria Coral (A660SP) & upplated to 4500kg, but it's not a five minute job.
As you are taking a trailer, could you not shift the bikes or other weight to the trailer?

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
we have an Adria Coral (A660SP) & upplated to 4500kg, but it's not a five minute job.
As you are taking a trailer, could you not shift the bikes or other weight to the trailer?
Sorry for confusion. It's a trailer for the dog. It goes on the cycle(y)

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
The 3-5 tonne limit that you refer to is mainly to do with comercial vehicles. If the sign has a lorry depicted with 3-5 the you are ok to proceed, but if it just states 3-5 limit then your not. However, I've driven all over France in a 5-3 tonne MH towing a trailer without once being stopped.

My current van is an Exsis 504, which is quite a small van and normally plated at 3-5, tonne, however mines upgraded to 3-7 tonne.

Wobby

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Think you'll find most vans are overweight
Probably true. But as I drive for a living I don't wish to take the risk of fines and possible points:( plus the other half won't take it lightly if she has to walk if we need to lose weight after being caught.:imoutahere:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Do you really need all 3 bikes? I'd lose one of those to save some weight if it were me, seems like that is an easy win. Every little bit adds up...

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've uprated mine now from 3.5t to 4t, it was easy enough to do (SVtech) and means I don't have to worry. I would have struggled on 3.5t, when I weighed my near empty van it was 3300kg ! I don't want to be worrying about being stopped for weight when I'm going away on holiday.

Yes the uprating cost £200, but the road tax as a "private HGV" is quite a bit cheaper - how much of a nonsense is that??? - so it'll be paid back in about 3 years. Insurance company notified and weren't bothered. I'm passed my test long enough ago that my licence covers up to 7.5t.

How much you can uprate by does of course vary on the van, SVtech will let you know. I could go to 3.8t with no modifications, 4t with rear air assist suspension fitted, which I was planning on doing anyway. One of the best mods I've done - the van is so much more stable to drive now.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Do you really need all 3 bikes? I'd lose one of those to save some weight if it were me, seems like that is an easy win. Every little bit adds up...
Not really if we go on a casual ride:) 3rd bike is a lightweight road bike I use for training. I like to do long distance charity rides. Holidays and France are the best times for training:)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I noticed last Year for the first time. The local Plod and Customs. Who often set up in Beverley, to do a bit of weighing and tank dipping. HAD pulled over a couple of Motor-homes as well. so maybe "we" are now more on the radar than in the Past?.

For Many years, First week in August, the Devon Police used to set up on Exeter Services, and weigh Caravans and Motor homes, often doing very thorough inspections of the whole rig. Even to the point of taking the odd caravan off the road until Serious defects where rectified!!

Pete

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would get it uprated. You won't have any significant problems in France. We are 3.8 tonnes and have never found this to limit our access, other than in places where yoou would not want to take a motorhome anyway.

General thought - we regularly discuss issues of motorhome GVW and up-rating on this forum. It is an open site so do you not think that enforcement agencies might look from time to time and see comments like 'most motorhomes are overweight'? That could be enough to prompt a more thorough approach to roadside testing!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back