paperwork germany advice please (1 Viewer)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Firming up plans to tour germany Les read that we need a green card and an environmental pass to go into cities. Where do we apply for the pass please?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We got ours from the city of Berlin for about €6.

Do a bit of googling on "Berlin+umweltplakette"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You don't need a 'green card' but you do need a windscreen sticker called an 'Umweltzone Plakette'. They are coloured red for old vehicles, yellow for Euro 3 and green for Euro 4 and above. Don't know how old your motorhome is but unless you qualify for a green sticker I would not bother. Most cities require this now. If you can only get a yellow one (like mine) just keep out of the cities.
I got mine in 2010 from a Mercedes truck dealership in southern Germany - cost €5. You need to have the full DVLA Registration Document with you (V5C).

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We got ours from the city of Berlin for about €6.

Do a bit of googling on "Berlin+umweltplakette"
You don't need a 'green card' but you do need a windscreen sticker called an 'Umweltzone Plakette'. They are coloured red for old vehicles, yellow for Euro 3 and green for Euro 4 and above. Don't know how old your motorhome is but unless you qualify for a green sticker I would not bother. Most cities require this now. If you can only get a yellow one (like mine) just keep out of the cities.
I got mine in 2010 from a Mercedes truck dealership in southern Germany - cost €5. You need to have the full DVLA Registration Document with you (V5C).

Thanks for the help, looks like we are in the green so will go googling now. Les wants to see Berlin before heading south.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Have a look at this website. You can select the country you want to visit then, for Germany, check each relevant city. It shows a map of the city umweltzone and the sticker level you need to enter the zone.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Have a look at this website. You can select the country you want to visit then, for Germany, check each relevant city. It shows a map of the city umweltzone and the sticker level you need to enter the zone.
Broken Link Removed
Very helpful, thanks JeanLuc

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Travelled into loads of German cities, never bothered with a sticker, and never had a problem, they aren't interested in British registered vehicles, in Frankfurt the cop smiled and said no problem, how would you know you needed one

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Travelled into loads of German cities, never bothered with a sticker, and never had a problem, they aren't interested in British registered vehicles, in Frankfurt the cop smiled and said no problem, how would you know you needed one

I would have wanted him to say, "Vere are your papers?"

That would have been funny!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Try it in the London emission zone. They hunt down even foreign plated vehicles. I only found out I needed to register in advance from someone who had inadvertently entered the LEZ in a Spanish vehicle & received a warning letter here.
2nd time without permit is 1500/fine . At least the German one is intelligible & in other languages , unlike the LEZ. It would be unintelligible to a foreigner & is barely understandable to a Brit that a foreign vehicle has to be pre-registered.:mad:

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi I applied for my Umweltzone sticker online and sent them a copy of my Vehicle docs, which tells you online what band(colour) your sticker will be along with the relevant costs for sticker and postage,JeanLuc has the weblink on his reply see above.
Its cheaper though to buy as you enter Germany at any TUV Centre.(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Gus-Lopez - I'd rather die than go into London, it's a horrible place
True , but unfortunately the " London " emission zone is nigh on anything inside the M25 & includes parts of Essex , Herts; kent, sussex , etc.:cry:

p,s. remember the old saying THe man who is tired of London is tired of life .:LOL:

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Applied for mine online and received few days later and paid by CC to British partner company

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hold up a minute! Does this mean I need one for Austria and Bavaria? :eek:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
[QUOSTE="markh, post: 1360953, member: 31819"]Gus-Lopez - I'd rather die than go into London, it's a horrible place[/QUOTE]

Stinking dump I got caught going into the Blackwall tunnel after Dartford bridge blocked, how was I meant to know they changed it for lorries over 3500kg , I only got the van two days before.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Never worried about a sticker. My grandad used to fly to cities during the war, he was never asked about a sticker but in fairness I believe the Lancaster he was in would have even failed the yellow sticker requirements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@stevet and @Chipster Hi chaos, please excuse my ignorance but is this sticker just for Berlin or the whole of Germany?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We went to a rather run down site at Spandau ( because it was as cheap as chips and is well out side the zone )
Bought a bus/train pass for 7 € a head per day and had a fantastic time

The camp site is very old and very basic.. I cannot even find it in google.. but it is listed in BordAtlas book

stevet

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
3 years
@chockswahay
The sticker is required for the larger towns and cities. See the link below which gives a map if you click on it but don't buy from here it is only 7 Euros on the link I gave previously.
http://www.environmental-badge.co.uk/en/environmental-badge.html

I appreciate some people say foreign reg vehicles do not need one but I prefer not to risk it for the sake of 7 Euros.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
True , but unfortunately the " London " emission zone is nigh on anything inside the M25 & includes parts of Essex , Herts; kent, sussex , etc.:cry:

p,s. remember the old saying THe man who is tired of London is tired of life .:LOL:

wasn't it an Irishman that said that?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can get it at any main car dealer or TUV station, if doing it by post the Berlin office is cheapest & quickest also very helpful I managed to mess mine up sticking it on. I emailed them & they sent a replacement FOC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back