Window rubbers -black streaks (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The Beast, as most of you know was built in 1981, 28 years ago and getting a bit long in the tooth now. Does anyone know of a suitable preparation to prevent the cab screen rubbers leaving black streaks down my nice white paintwork? Preferably something to treat the rubber with, not just remove the streaks.

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
but does it stop the streaks Steve.

I haven't seen any more.It seems to treat the rubber and coat it with a wax finish.Protects it from the ravages of uv sunlight.I use it on a lot of rubber bits. Brings them up like new and protects them.

How bad is the seal?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Black leather stain/polish,, as used by cobblers on shoes/boots/handbags.. (Wax,, comes in a jar, if you want the name I can get it in the morning,, works brilliantly.)

Rub it in with a cloth,, let dry then buff up,, slite sheen but waterproofs and makes the rubber more flexible/supple and stops rubber drying out and going brittle which is where the stain comes from Rubber deteriating...

Easy to wipe off paint and windows before it dry`s.

Needs to be done once a year...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Roger :thumb: try lip balm,:thumb: yes the stuff you buy like lipstick :ROFLMAO: easy to apply and keeps the rubbers soft.:winky::thumb:
:ROFLMAO: What YOU GONNA DO ABOUT THE BLACK STREAKS FROM THE ROOF :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: sorry for caps :ROFLMAO: you may not have them now but they will come :ROFLMAO:
terry

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Black streaks are related more to dirt being washed off of the roof than deposits leeching out of widow seals.
The only way to avoid streaks is to wash the roof frequently especially in polluted areas such as town and city enviroments.
The alternative is to cultivate a Nelsonian Eye.:winky:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Roger :thumb: try lip balm,:thumb: yes the stuff you buy like lipstick :ROFLMAO: easy to apply and keeps the rubbers soft.:winky::thumb:
:ROFLMAO: What YOU GONNA DO ABOUT THE BLACK STREAKS FROM THE ROOF :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: sorry for caps :ROFLMAO: you may not have them now but they will come :ROFLMAO:
terry
maybe tis time to paint the beast BLACK:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
There isn't any product available to stop the black streaks from forming. All of the products fall into 2 categories. 1 for removing the streaks, 2 for making them nice and black and shiny or matt. Some may keep them soft and flexible.(if rubber)
The only way to stop black streaks anywhere is regular washing of the van ALL OVER including the roof.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
There isn't any product available to stop the black streaks from forming. All of the products fall into 2 categories. 1 for removing the streaks, 2 for making them nice and black and shiny or matt. Some may keep them soft and flexible.(if rubber)
The only way to stop black streaks anywhere is regular washing of the van ALL OVER including the roof.
the roof and sidewalls were painted, streaks appeared the next day, every how many hours do I have to wash it?????????????

By the way I am not in a polluted area or in the town but parked in a field near the sea.

Last edited:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
ya know, iv never seen black streaks on a REGULAR commercial white van.:Confused:

How many windows does a commercial van have?

What happens is that dirt from the roof is washed down the sides of the motorhome. On a commercial van it just continues vertically turning the white van into the off white so favoured by 'white van man',.

Whereas on a motorhome the dirt and water mix reaches a window then spreads horizontally. In doing so it picks up extra dirt and concentrates it.
When this mixture reaches the side of the window in continues its downward journey but with an extra load of dirt. This sediment is then redeposited in a concentrated area and shows up as a black streak.
It doesn't need rain to do this. a heavy dew works just as well. but slower and can leave even blacker black streaks!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Reviving this thread because I can't find a solution to this problem - black streaks seem to be appearing under each of the black rubber seals on our van - not just the habitation windows but also the cab windows. I've recently applied some gunk to keep the rubber flexible so that may have made it a little more likely to bleed colour but doesn't explain all of it. Any one have any recent ideas as to how these streaks can be stopped - what can I do to the rubber seals to stop the marks?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
After that number of years, the rubber itself will start to disintegrate. Worst case scenario is of coarse leaking windows.
Many boats built during the seventies suffer from this problem, the only long term solution is to replace the affected rubbers.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013

This may be your answer.........it might be obvious.. i,ve used these products and what i've used do what they claim to do.

The series is also useful for some other cleaning tips.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back