Getting organised for Campervan insurance (1 Viewer)

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yesterday we were told what the reg no of our van would be, so now have to get insurance and breakdown cover for it, so they can have a cover note to tax and reg it for us, so having had car insurance for many years, is there much difference to what I'm looking for, had a quote from comfort insurance about £366.00 for fully comp for me and wife as named driver, I think I remember they said we would have 365 days cover when in Europe, there was other things mentioned but can't remember what it was this does include breakdown cover as well including repatriation, anything else I need to look at in the small print, or things I might have forgotten, the vehicle is a Wellhouse leisure Ford terrier with rising roof, 155ps diesel 6 speed engine, does anyone know what the equivalent BHP 155ps would be ta

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
I think 155ps is roughly the same as 155bhp, but may be corrected. I think ps is a German method of recording engine power and roughly equates, or is near enough to not make any significant difference

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Comfort's breakdown cover is £58 extra on the base premium & yes it includes repatriation, if you are not sure give them a ring and check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As above, PS is the same as BHP. PS stands for Pferdestärke, or horse-strengh. German horses of course but they are the same size as ours so 155 PS is exactly 155 BHP.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We are with Comfort, with the 365 Europe cover and I can confirm that our breakdown cover includes repatriation to the UK, the breakdown is covered by the AA for your information.

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
just got my safegaurd renewal £275.16 includes uk & european breakdown

Upvote 0
OP
OP
whoa

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Another odd wrong place post

Quite agree, don't know who put it here, however penance will be done, 5 Hail Marys, 6 Guinness , and 4 double whiskies with coke, and next time note to self try and get the right location otherwise you will upset people, no problem , I was Doing my incompetent best

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Quite agree, don't know who put it here

No not you. Me.

I was posting on another thread and the system dropped it in this thread. We can't delete posts so I just used those words instead.

Oh OK I see what you mean, what the hell we're not that anal around here to worry about trivial things like that, this is FUN.

The thing about Safeguard is included breakdown cover.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
whoa

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Update in how it's gone so far, today signed up with AIB, a slight problem when I contacted Comfort, and safeguard, but probably my fault for being upfront and honest, the company want a cover note to start before the conversion date, the first two declined saying they didn't insure incomplete vehicles, I don't get that, it's so that if the conversion date is sooner then the arranged one, the converter will tax and register the vehicle for us. Anyway thanks for your thoughts, but at least I shouldn't have this problem next year, so I expect to see a better deal, with AIB, it is costing £465.13, this is for 180 days European travel, £250 excess, fully comp for me and Julie my wife, with full bells and whistles of breakdown recovery including repatriation, I'm sure I could have done better, but time is getting short now so had to put something in place(y)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Spent most of today getting quotes for the Hymer..

AIB, Comfort, NFU, Safeguard, Caravan Club.. ..

Finally accepted the Comfort quote of £346.45 .. with no limit on EU travel, EU breakdown/recover by RAC , £200 excess, £3,000 glass limit.. 8,000 annual millage , £3000 personal effects., legal costs,

To be honest they were all around the same price.. and similar benefits.. Comfort were not the cheapest by a few pounds, but had the edge on unlimited EU travel and other benefits.

AIB and Safeguard were also competitive.. hard to decide between them..

NFU expensive and no breakdown cover.. Caravan Club expensive and breakdown cover not included

There is a Go Compare site for motorhomes..

Upvote 0

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
Same for me Jim, have gone with Comfort for virtually the same Price as you and with all of the benefits. Great Deal in my opinion.
Cheers

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back