Drinking (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
years and years ago when I were a lad it was illegal for me and my buddies to have a drink and sleep in the car because we had the car keys on our person, I believe the keys had to be 150 feet or metres away from the vehicle...so as to not get a drink drive charge......now .....when I collect my mh and have a drink how do we stand with the law. The keys will be in the vehicle naturally.
Maybe times have changed......or we were fooled for all those years.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its a tricky area really. so long as the keys are not in your pocket and in the back of the van, then it would be reasonable to presume you dont intend to drive it. drink too much though and the risk of being stopped and breathalysed is really high. so common sense dictates only get the alcohol out when camping on a site off the highway and not in a layby

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
same rules applies to truck drivers too !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Common sense needs to be used. If you are in the drivers seat facing forward with the keys in the ignition then you would be in trouble. If you had the seats turned round, silver screens on and were in your pjs watching telly then they would have a hard time showing that you intended to drive. What you also have to think about is if you are parked up somewhere where you could potentially be told to move on, i.e. a lay-by, you really need to be able to.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
bear in mind if you do get nicked for being in charge of a vehicle whilst under the influence it is not up to the law to prove you were intending to drive it is up to you to prove that you weren't.

Caerus

Free Member
Dec 30, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Travel Van
Exp
You are correct.
Maybe this will help anyone caught...............or tell them your wife is 'in charge'. You will undoubtably be believed!

What are the defences?
If it is alleged that you were “in charge” of a motor vehicle whilst the proportion of alcohol in your breath/blood/urine was above the prescribed limit or you were “unfit”, then you will have a defence if you can show that there was no likelihood of you driving your vehicle whilst you remained in excess of the prescribed limit or unfit.

This type of defence will often present itself where a person decides to sleep in their car after a night out or after finding themselves unexpectedly without a place to sleep. In these circumstances whilst you may be in charge of the vehicle and may even have switched the engine on to get warm, you will be acquitted of the offence if you can show (the burden of proof is on the defence) that you would not have driven the vehicle whilst still over the limit.

In order to prove this defence, expert evidence will be required addressing your breath/blood/urine reading (or unfitness) and the rate at which you would have eliminated (metabolised) alcohol, so as to establish at what point in the future you would have been fit to drive. By way of example if you had consumed alcohol up to 12pm and then slept in your car with the intention of driving when you woke at 7am, a report would be required showing that by 7am the proportion of alcohol in your system would have been below the prescribed limit.

In addition to this defence there are a number of more general defences which may be argued surrounding the factual circumstances of the offence, the accuracy of the breath specimen and other procedural defences.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The charge is Drunk In Charge, so as previously stated, if you have the keys in your pocket, then you are guilty of this offence, and this would have to be answered in court where you would have the opportunity to argue that you had no intention to drive.
If the keys are in one of the lockers, then you are not in charge of them, so no offence is committed.
There was an incident similar to this on one of the police programmes recently (interceptors I think). The police found two lads asleep in their car, both were drunk (or had been drinking). The officers questioned them and asked where the keys were, he had put them in the glove box, and as they were asleep in the rear, the officers were happy and let them sleep it off for the rest of the night.
To avoid any issues, it is probably better not to have had any drink whilst on a public road, saves the aggro.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not seen a Police Man around here for ages.......beginning to think they have disbanded,,,,,BUSBY.:D:D

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
If you're in the habitation you'll not have any real challenges and you can quite easily dispute those who suggest you're doing anything wrong (regardless of where your keys are).

If you're sitting in the cab, facing the road, with keys in the ignition and a beer in your hand you'd be pushing your luck!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's an ideal solution apart from, in our case, one minor flaw: She doesn't have C1 on her licence and so can't drive the bloody thing. :mad: The worst part of it is that she hardly ever drinks so would usually be perfectly OK to drive.

Looks like I'm driving then :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I never have more than 4 pints if I'm driving. Or maybe a couple more if in a nice beer garden :)
Hysterically that sounds just like my (French) uncle. We visited last year, and at the lunchtime BBQ he cooked, I finished my stubby bottle of beer. He offered me another, which I declined saying that I had to drive in the afternoon, his reply "In France you can drink a bottle of wine and drive!" :D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sadly many accidents and arrests are the result of drinking the night before. have a skin full as some do and you're over the limit for the next 24hours. stupidly this shocks many people as they feel fine the morning after

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
sadly many accidents and arrests are the result of drinking the night before. have a skin full as some do and you're over the limit for the next 24hours. stupidly this shocks many people as they feel fine the morning after
You'd need to drink 2 bottles of whisky to be over 24 hours later.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s a Bit of a Grey area, all round. my tendency, and I like a small glass or two, is that IF I am in say a layby I definitely Don`t. Sometimes we Have laid over in a Pub car Park after a Music Night, with the landlords permission. (Still technically illegal as the Public have access) in which case we bin the keys or leave them with the licensee being another option. I admit though I have had a couple of glasses of The "Californian Red" whilst overnighting on Walmart before today. I was told once that "The "average" male eliminates I unit of alcohol per hour" under "normal" conditions whatever that is! (approx 2 hrs per pint?)

Pete

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You'd need to drink 2 bottles of whisky to be over 24 hours later.
sorry but you are way out on your estimate

On average, it takes about one hour for your body to break down one unit of alcohol. However, this can vary, depending on:

• your weight
  • whether you're male or female
  • your age
  • how quickly or slowly your body turns food into energy (your metabolism)
  • how much food you have eaten
  • the type and strength of the alcohol
  • whether you're taking medication and, if so, what type
It can also take longer if your liver isn't working normally.

Read more about drinking and alcohol.

How much is one unit?
One unit is equivalent to 10ml or 8g of pure alcohol. There are roughly:

• 2.1 units in a standard glass (175ml) of average-strength wine (12%)
  • 3 units in a large glass (250ml) of average-strength wine (12%)
  • 2 units in a pint of low-strength lager, beer or cider (3.6%)
  • 3 units in a pint of higher-strength lager, beer or cider (5.2%)
  • 1 unit in a single measure of spirits (25ml)

Adding up your units
If you drink a large (250ml) glass of wine, your body takes about three hours to break down the alcohol.

If you drink one pint of beer, your body takes about two hours to break it down. One pint of strong lager is equivalent to three units, so this will take longer.

However, this time can vary depending on the factors mentioned above.

If you have a few drinks during a night out, it can take many hours for the alcohol to leave your body. The alcohol could still be in your blood the next day.

more info http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/853.aspx?CategoryID=87

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
when I collect my mh and have a drink how do we stand with the law. The keys will be in the vehicle naturally.

Have a search on here and you will find all possible answers from Yes to No.

Basically you have to convince Mr Plod you are not about to drive. Being naked, with an erection and panting hard is considered a good defence.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
35 years driving trucks. and about the same driving m/homes . never been asked.

Reactions: JJ

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Someone I used to work with went out for a meal with his family - they had a few drinks, nothing excessive by all accounts, and taxi home. The next day he was stopped on the way to work, a routine check during the Christmas campaign... still over the limit. He lost his job as a result.

Not worth the risk. If you are going to drive the next day don't drink alcohol.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes but you could get done for that as you climbed the steps of the court..... Let alone the press publicity.

That's OK, to the best of my knowledge you don't get points on you licence for coitus interruptus unless it's on the move.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back