Bed gas struts (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Hi,
Long story short but the gas struts locked solid in the upright position (Fully open) whilst changing the bedding today.
I have had to remove them now in order to close the bed locker. It's a Swift Bolearo with two single beds and storage underneath are these struts now no good or am I missing something, can't move them at all even though removed.

Cheers
Les

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Evening Les

They will be even harder to close with nothing attached

Now this is only a possibility, but our Toyota works van has an option to twist the gas struts to lock them in place, I don't know that might apply to yours, but odd that they would suddenly stick open, presumably there are 2 as well

Normally they go weak and wont hold

So sorry, probably not helped at all :D

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Have a look and see what is painted on the outer casing "NM = strength and measure length open if you can and closed..

Load`s on fleabay.... I had to replace some once.. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
am I missing something, can't move them at all even though removed.

agree with David.. they don't normally 'lock up' .. unless they are lockable struts..

Google the make and or part number for information..

Locking Gas Struts

Locking gas struts have similar characteristics to standard compression type gas struts. The locking mechanism is actuated by depressing the button at the end of the piston rod. This enables the strut to be compressed. If the button is released at a mid stroke position, the strut will remain locked in that position. By depressing the button again, the strut will gently return to its full extension.

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Sorry, I've been a while replying but tinternet access can be a bit hit and miss down here if your a tight Yorkshireman:whistle:
Anyway thanks for all your replies I'll have a closer look at them a little later, they will probably have to wait now until I get back from Spain,
Incidentally, don't want to p1&& on anyone's chips but presently a cool 29 degrees down here,:giggler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back