black smoke from exhaust when labouring (1 Viewer)

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Hi,

Base vehicle is a Mercedes sprinter 616 with the 2.7 engine. Wifey tells me that when following in her car, she notices black smoke from the exhaust but only when going uphill or labouring. Logic tells me this is a fuel problem. I do have a 'Chip' box which was on it when bought. Any ideas on remedy or other thoughts please?

ken

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi,

Base vehicle is a Mercedes sprinter 616 with the 2.7 engine. Wifey tells me that when following in her car, she notices black smoke from the exhaust but only when going uphill or labouring. Logic tells me this is a fuel problem. I do have a 'Chip' box which was on it when bought. Any ideas on remedy or other thoughts please?

ken

Hi Ken,

Over fueling or clogged air filter! if its of the turbo and your foot flat down it will be putting in more fule than it has the air to burn. it could be that the software has got a problem, has it been back to the Merc dealer for updates?

Patrick

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
thanks for the reply Patrick. I should have added that it is an automatic and I must admit, I know nothing much about software for the ECU etc. Do you think thats the answer, book it in for a service and get the computer checked?

Ken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I have had Mercedes diesel cars for a number of years now and when i get black smoke i just use one of the proprietary injector cleaners from somewhere like Halfords, just make sure the one you buy is suitable for your injection system, I also do put my foot down in one of the lower gears every couple of weeks to give the system a bit of a blow through which does send out a lot of sh?T which seems to make in run better.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi,

ken

Ken, the likelyhood is it is nothing to worry about at all. If there is a chip box fitted and the black smokle is when labouring then that would be normal for a chipped van. All thats happening is that your having more fuel and turbo boost pressure and unburnt fuel comes out as sooty black smoke. My old chipped van could really smoke if allowed to labour or climb hills.
try removing echip box. The van will be a lot slower but probably run cleaner.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So how do you get an auto to labour ?:Smile:
change the air filter,stick in some injecter cleaner and give it a good high reving blast :thumb: may- be even change the oil and filters (service) while you are at it.:thumb:
terry
If it still smokes after all that live with it :thumb: or get the wife to drive in front and you follow her :thumb: that way she wont see the smoke :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Concur; Black smoke is usually a sign of over fuelling. Incomplete combustion can be the result of several combinations of factor depending upon mileage and service history.

Simple stuff first. New Air filter, for one!, Put some Fuel clean additive in and run the full tank through, make sure it`s right for your engine!. 9 time out of 10 that will make enough difference, In my experience you can expect a small "puff" of smoke when you accelerate hard as the pump supplies more fuel than the turbo can supply air for until the lag in the turbo catches up. Older engines ECU`s are not as sophisticated as the latest ones. Other issues get expensive. Worn injectors and fuel pumps are not cheap to replace, and in some cases they cannot even be overhauled! Also the later one`s could need to be "setup" on a diagnostic system (electronic injectors).

Hey-Ho the delights of modern motoring Eh!!

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
After 50 odd years working on anything from Austin Ruby`s to Marine Engines with a bore of 1M and 2M stroke. I still don't have any definitive answer to anything, in fact the most surprising thing about Engineering is that there is nothing definitive it`s always moving on! But yes I missed the fact that the Post was OLD!!!:D:D:D Which probably shows just HOW old I am getting!!!:ROFLMAO::whistle::whistle:

Pete

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
If your engine is smoking a lot when labouring then I'd have thought the first thing to try would be to use lower gears so it doesn't. My first impression would be that the problem could be too much right foot and the black smoke is caused by unspent fuel spewing out of the exhaust
But as most others have said a good dose of engine and injector cleaner wouldn't do any harm.

Addendum

Ooooops!
Another plonker replying to an old thread.
I'm going back to me whisky glass, it's safer

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back