Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
My wife and I are just about to (probably) take the plunge and move up from camping to a motorhome.....we are not sure what to get, but have a very limited budget (can't wait until next year when our budget would be much bigger!).
Anyway, we're looking at around £7000 to £8000.
We have seen a Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki 600. 1991 2.5 diesel in this price range.
Is this a good choice?
Is there anything we should be looking out for in particular when buying (private sales)?
Or should we be looking at a different model?
Any help anyone can give us would be greatly appreciated....we can't wait to buy, but don't want to jump in and make the wrong decision, and end up:cry:
Thanks

:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My wife and I are just about to (probably) take the plunge and move up from camping to a motorhome.....we are not sure what to get, but have a very limited budget (can't wait until next year when our budget would be much bigger!).
We have seen a Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki 600. 1991 2.5 diesel in this price range.
Is this a good choice?
Is there anything we should be looking out for in particular when buying (private sales)?
Any help anyone can give us would be greatly appreciated....we can't wait to buy, but don't want to jump in and make the wrong decision, and end up:cry:
Thanks

first thing would be to spend a few quid on an HPI check.
this will tell you if it has outstanding finance, insurance rightoff,stolen recovered and if the seller actually owns it.
if it doesnt seem in order then walk away.

then go through everything, check for damp patches(can be very expensive to repair), panel and furniture fit, are there any gaps that look odd or shouldnt be there.
at 18years old dont expect the soft furnishing/carpeting to be in first class condition but its all fixable ie recoverable/new carpet.

a set of 4 tyres will cost around £400 so have a look at them as well.

start the engine and warm it up, check for smoke/bad leaks and take it for a test drive.

the list goes on and on.

good luck with your hunt.

john.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
nearly forgot....

welcome to the FUN.
stick around and you'll get all the help and advise you will ever need. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thank you very much for the advice, and I've got to say, that was a very quick response.
I've read a few of the threads and it does seem like everyone is very friendly and helpful.
I hope we'll be in a position one day to offer advice!
We really have no idea at the moment so will need all the help we can get :Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Is this a good choice?
Thanks

Hi,

On a private sale 'as is where is' its about the rigjht sort of price, Pappas said the rest:thumb:

Peter

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Errpaul, its a buyers market right now so don't rush, and you should be able to get exactly you want at the right price:thumb:

Meanwhile welcome to the fun:Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Errpaul, its a buyers market right now so don't rush, and you should be able to get exactly you want at the right price:thumb:
Meanwhile welcome to the fun:Smile:

Business aint that bad Jim, me old matey:thumb: you will find that many dealers now are getting very picky on what part exchanges they take in, and the deals they will do, heard that at the NEC

With the cut backs on credit lines now, they cannot afford to do silly deals.

Peter

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Business aint that bad Jim, me old matey:thumb: you will find that many dealers now are getting very picky on what part exchanges they take in, and the deals they will do, heard that at the NEC

With the cut backs on credit lines now, they cannot afford to do silly deals.

Peter

How will this affect cash buyers?

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi and welcome to the fun errpaul

My advice to you would be to take your time, have a look at as many motorhomes as you can and decide on what's going to suit you.At the moment its a buyers market the fact you have cash makes no difference as a company will probably make money from organising credit.

If part exchanges arn't taking place then it could be the best deal would be private ;but you would need to be sure of the vehiclle your buying and with the help of someone who knows, it might be where the real bargin is::bigsmile:

I have recently purchased a motorhome haggled 3.5K off the asking price.

haggle the price and be prepared to walk away.

Good luck

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Hi and welcome to the fun errpaul

My advice to you would be to take your time, have a look at as many motorhomes as you can and decide on what's going to suit you.At the moment its a buyers market the fact you have cash makes no difference as a company will probably make money from organising credit.

If part exchanges arn't taking place then it could be the best deal would be private ;but you would need to be sure of the vehiclle your buying and with the help of someone who knows, it might be where the real bargin is::bigsmile:

I have recently purchased a motorhome haggled 3.5K off the asking price.

haggle the price and be prepared to walk away.

Good luck

3.5K...wow that's not a bad deal at all!! Do you mind me asking what the original asking price was?
Do you have any suggestions as to what would be a good model to look out for? We would need seatbelts in the rear so the rear u shape lounge layouts are not suitable.
Cheers:thumb:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
3.5K...wow that's not a bad deal at all!! Do you mind me asking what the original asking price was?
Do you have any suggestions as to what would be a good model to look out for? We would need seatbelts in the rear so the rear u shape lounge layouts are not suitable.

The asking price from the dealer was 27k maybe if i had waited then i would have got a better deal. that's the market at the moment, same with houses 15%/20% drop

As far as suggestions goes once you've seen different vans you'll know which is going to be right for you and your family.

As i said take your time, if your not sure of something, the answerts are here::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
The asking price from the dealer was 27k maybe if i had waited then i would have got a better deal. that's the market at the moment, same with houses 15%/20% drop

As far as suggestions goes once you've seen different vans you'll know which is going to be right for you and your family.

As i said take your time, if your not sure of something, the answerts are here::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

That's good to know that some dealers do have margins like that to play with. I know it's probably not commonplace, but is possible :Smile:

I know exactly what you mean about waiting...that's what my head says...problem is we're too excited about getting one..had to hold back a couple of times already, which we are glad of now as they wouldn't have been right practically speaking.

Looking for a van has become a bit of an obsession now...seems like every waking moment is spent searching for the perfect van at the perfect price!:Eeek:
We WILL get there though....and I'm glad to have found this site, as I am confident that I'll be able to find all the help we need here.

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp

Do not discount without looking at rear u shaped lounge layouts, There are models like this that have dinette in front with seatbelts.

maxitai

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
LINCOLNSHIRE
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
23 YEARS
Your potential purchase

When you find the van you like , check it"s had a recent service and if posible a new cambelt!! An expensive repair if it goes! Otherwise good luck and enjoy having a motorhome, it still gives me a thrill everytime i see my van and the opportunities for fun motoring and going off for the day on an instants notice.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome, errpaul :thumb:
Ask as many Qs as you like :thumb::ROFLMAO: we are a friendly bunch ::bigsmile:
It would be best to look around a lot of vans before taking the plunge.:winky:
Go for comfort,and ease of use :thumb:Ask yourself how are you going to use it :whatthe: lounging around ?or sat uncomfortably at a dining table ?How easy is it to make the bed / beds up ? all can be a pain and spoil the van for you so do them all before buying.It may be worth spending £400 on hiring one for a mid week break :thumb: nothing like using one to get the feel of what you want/ do not want.:thumb: 850 vans for sale today just on ebay so plenty to choose from.Do not rush and never pay the asking price :ROFLMAO:never buy one without seeing it :ROFLMAO:GOOD LUCK
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back