Water seeping under bathroom wall (1 Viewer)

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Help needed
We have an Elddis 140 and had our maiden voyage last week. Apart from not realising there was an overflow on the water tank, standing there for ten minutes and realising there was a small lake developing around me, we have a lot of water seeping under the shower room wall?? I guess a pipe has come off at the back of the panelling? is it an easy fix for a fair DIY enthusiast with average knowledge? some water coming from tap but most escaping i feel...
Great few days last week. Engine management light came on on the way home, only a sensor me thinks. Oh and a cupboard door handle came off, Oh and with temp of minus 4 we thought the heating was poor until we found a pipe had come off and I burnt my had on a boot. Lovely warm cupboard. I wont mention the drive from Filey to Sutton on Sea on the 19th to find the CC site opened on the 20th.....
Time spent on recconaisance is seldom wasted ehh.
We loved every minute of it having said that and just need advice on the water feature under the shower room wall?
Many thanks

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well that all sounds like fun! That's one thing about this motorhoming lark - never a dull moment :D
I'm completely un-techie so can't help with any of your questions, sorry, but you'll soon have lots of information & advice coming your way from the good guys on here. :)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
If you bought your MH from a dealer then take it back for them to fix the water seepage problem - and the engine warning light!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Well that all sounds like fun! That's one thing about this motorhoming lark - never a dull moment :D
I'm completely un-techie so can't help with any of your questions, sorry, but you'll soon have lots of information & advice coming your way from the good guys on here. :)
We had wet moments do they count? Just got dried out and my wife kicked the dogs water over

OP
OP
Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
If you bought your MH from a dealer then take it back for them to fix the water seepage problem - and the engine warning light!
Hmm, we bought it private from a very nice genuine man. I dont think it was anyones fault, it is on an 08 plate and just needs sorting....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As previous post..
but if not, is there an access panel behind the shower..? If not, the only way to find the leak is to get the mixer tap off and have a look behind.. probably just a loose hose connection.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Hope its nothing too serious :(

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Hi, as already mentioned I suspect its around the mixer tap especially if not getting full flow.
Mine got blown apart by ice. Hopefully its just blown a pipe off! But you should be able to tell if its on the feed side because the pump will keep running or cycling if loose joint. Should be simple to remove the tap but doNT let any pipes fall down into the panel cavity.
If its not the tap suspect the drain or seal around the tray may even be a hairline crack in the tray
Hth

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
I had a Compass 140 a few years ago and if I remember it has a pressurised water system so if there was a leak from a hose or tap you would here the pump switching on periodically.
The hoses are a push fit into the base of the tap and sometimes pop out causing a leak ( happened to me ). If this is the case they need to be aligned correctly when pushed back in.
Also check the fresh water filling hose where it goes through the floor into the tank. Its a wire reinforced hose and can split easily causing a leak when filling the tank. Hope this helps.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Get your screwdrivers out and try and find the access to the pipes , if you can't sort it yourself , call an independent engineer out , unless somebody else can recommend a trustworthy dealer in your area . good luck .

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I see your north notts, try this guy, Ive used him in the past

Bawtry Caravan Services
  • Tel: 01302 246608
  • Mob: 07753 353100
1 Darnley House, West St, Misson, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN10 6DX

Bawtry Caravan Services is a certified Approved Workshop Scheme independent business,and a member of the Mobile Caravan Engineers Association.

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Hi, is your fresh water tank inside and near the bathroom and when you overfilled it, water may have leaked out the top cap or filler pipe split.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Rooky. Although you made it sound humorous, I'm sorry to hear about your plight. I daresay at the end of the day, you may have to remove a shower wall panel? Otherwise, to tackle it through a small hole will be like the gynaecologist trying to wallpaper his house through the letter box! :D

It will probably need drying out anyway. I was tempted to tell you to put a push-fit stop-end on the pipes coming into the shower to prevent further damage, but I guess that would also cut the water to the basin???

You may have to get a dealer/tradesman to have a look.

As far as the engine management light goes, it's probably just the diesel particulate filter sooted up after inactivity before sale. Should clear itself with a decent run above 60 mph.

Let us know how you get on.
James

Last edited:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Got a 140, Have you looked in at the boiler which is under hatch in the wardrobe, some pipes in there. Was this water leak created just when you were trying to fill, or when you used Tap in the washroom, or used the shower ? emptying sink ? all the pipes are as said push fit type,
Where is it emerging from, under the wall of the washroom door ? or behind the drivers seat wall ?

My guess is if it was a pipe connection then the pump would run until the tank was empty !!??
So the other guess that it is something to do with your filler pipe may be an answer. Or did you fill with a 2" pipe going full bore and somehow overspilled/burst the pipe ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Hi, is your fresh water tank inside and near the bathroom and when you overfilled it, water may have leaked out the top cap or filler pipe split.
hi, thank you for your reply. The tank is in fact underneath the van floor and central

OP
OP
Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Got a 140, Have you looked in at the boiler which is under hatch in the wardrobe, some pipes in there. Was this water leak created just when you were trying to fill, or when you used Tap in the washroom, or used the shower ? emptying sink ? all the pipes are as said push fit type,
Where is it emerging from, under the wall of the washroom door ? or behind the drivers seat wall ?

My guess is if it was a pipe connection then the pump would run until the tank was empty !!??
So the other guess that it is something to do with your filler pipe may be an answer. Or did you fill with a 2" pipe going full bore and somehow overspilled/burst the pipe ?
Hi
The leak is not under the boiler but seeping under the floor adjacent to the sink. It started when we started to pump, fine before that with tank full, pressure lowish to kitchen but even worse in bathroom sink tap if that helps...Thankyou fro helping I need all the help I can get!!!

OP
OP
Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Hi Rooky. Although you made it sound humorous, I'm sorry to hear about your plight. I daresay at the end of the day, you may have to remove a shower wall panel? Otherwise, to tackle it through a small hole will be like the gynaecologist trying to wallpaper his house through the letter box! :D

It will probably need drying out anyway. I was tempted to tell you to put a push-fit stop-end on the pipes coming into the shower to prevent further damage, but I guess that would also cut the water to the basin???

As far as the engine management light goes, it's probably just the diesel particulate filter sooted up after inactivity before sale. Should clear itself with a decent run above 60 mph.

James
Hi
and again many thanks for your help. The engine management system was indeed that issue and not too worried about it to be honest. Regarding the leak? would really like to have a go myself and see it as a great way of learning? But, I am starting on the bottom rung of the ladder here...

OP
OP
Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989

James
Hi James and thanks for the advice. i don't think its the shower, I am narrowing it down "i think" to the wash basin and maybe even the tap?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am sorry but it is not usually something I would discuss on a forum but thought it was justified in this case.

Within a bit of reason, anything goes on here, we take the bad with the good.

I don't know you van but I do know that my taps are like a typical airline, there is an end screwed into the pipe which then pushes into the tap and a spring clip locks it. It does sound as if that had popped. I know this because I heared water dripping behind the shower tap. Over the winter, because I had not blown down the shower pipes the water remaining in the tap expanded and split the plastic. When I finally got to it, 175 screws later, I simply superglued the plastic together.

OP
OP
Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Within a bit of reason, anything goes on here, we take the bad with the good.

I don't know you van but I do know that my taps are like a typical airline, there is an end screwed into the pipe which then pushes into the tap and a spring clip locks it. It does sound as if that had popped. I know this because I heared water dripping behind the shower tap. Over the winter, because I had not blown down the shower pipes the water remaining in the tap expanded and split the plastic. When I finally got to it, 175 screws later, I simply superglued the plastic together.
Hi Brian
Thank you for that, I hope it's the wash hand basin which seems fairly easy to get off, 6 screws,

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian
Thank you for that, I hope it's the wash hand basin which seems fairly easy to get off, 6 screws,

Fingers crossed it's not 6 screws and hack out a load of glue. Some lunatic makers glue the whole lot together so it looks great but any minor repair become a major problem.

One popular construction method is erect the walls on the chassis, drop everything in through the roof then glue that on, just in case you have a "how did they get that in there" moment.

OP
OP
Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Fingers crossed it's not 6 screws and hack out a load of glue. Some lunatic makers glue the whole lot together so it looks great but any minor repair become a major problem.

One popular construction method is erect the walls on the chassis, drop everything in through the roof then glue that on, just in case you have a "how did they get that in there" moment.
Ahh... I can see this being straight forward then!! I shall keep you posted then.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Elddis 140 08 plate
I need to go out to my van, in a shed few miles away, to remind myself as to how you can access the tap hot and cold pipes. If your vanity unit is not too well masticced to the walls it is relatively easy(the fold down sink and the washing gear cabinet above, which is in two parts). The problem arises if you damage the waterproofing wallpaper that Elddis had a love affair with. CRAP. I ended up relining with panelling the whole washroom. I was replacing the cigarette paper shower tray !! see phots . I would almost be of the opinion that going into the wardrobe and cutting an access hole at an appropriate place to access the pipes may be the way to go just be careful not to cut much deeper than the ply itself, ie not a long blade, probably the carpenters saw that they use to cut access holes in floorboards with the curved blade.
DSC_3871.JPG
DSC_3872.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back