ford econoline 250 (1 Viewer)

C

crazy-tim

Deleted User
hi funsters!!... i am new to this site and i am considering becoming a 5er!!.. i have a ford econoline 350 van!.. i was wondering if this would be suitable for conversion to a tow vehicle?.. i realise i would have to chop the back off. but this van is already 20ft long so that would still leave me plenty of usable space!.. it also has a " u-haul " tow bar fitted, which states a 7500kg towing capacity, with 5000kgs on the ball !!.. any help in this matter would be greatly apprieciated !!:thumb:

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
hi funsters!!... i am new to this site and i am considering becoming a 5er!!.. i have a ford econoline 350 van!.. i was wondering if this would be suitable for conversion to a tow vehicle?.. i realise i would have to chop the back off. but this van is already 20ft long so that would still leave me plenty of usable space!.. it also has a " u-haul " tow bar fitted, which states a 7500kg towing capacity, with 5000kgs on the ball !!.. any help in this matter would be greatly apprieciated !!:thumb:

Hi there i have seen these vans converted profesionaly and look very good so yes it can be done but have not done it my self.

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
Sorry just noticed its your first post a big hello and welcome if there is any help you need you will find it on here.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

hi tim and welcome to the FUN !

you sure you read it right ?

best i can find for a 350 is a towing cap of 10000lbs...just over 4.5 ton.....as for 5 ton on the ball :Eeek:

the bar may be up to it but i doubt the rear suspension is.

OP
OP
C

crazy-tim

Deleted User
i sure read it right... the looks as though it was made out of RSJ's:ROFLMAO:... everything is comercial... apparently it's an 18 tonne truck with an extended van body on it !!:Eeek:

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
Here is one thats been converted:thumb::thumb:

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

crazy-tim

Deleted User
thanks for the link Andy!.. it was inspirational !!.... it's nice to see what it would look like once converted !!.... i was hoping to keep more of the body. Does the 5th wheel have to be fitted directly over the rear axle?... i am only planning on getting a small 5er!.. maybe 27-28ft!!:thumb:

OP
OP
C

crazy-tim

Deleted User
oh .. BTW Andy I noticed you have a 7.3ltr V8 desiel, i have the same but it is not turbo!.. do you know if i can bolt a turbo on it ?:Eeek:

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
thanks for the link Andy!.. it was inspirational !!.... it's nice to see what it would look like once converted !!.... i was hoping to keep more of the body. Does the 5th wheel have to be fitted directly over the rear axle?... i am only planning on getting a small 5er!.. maybe 27-28ft!!:thumb:

Yes the fifth wheel has to be mounted over the rear axle. When not towing your 5er you van uncouple and store your fifth wheel away to alow for more space in the pickup bed.

As for the turbo you can get a kit for it not shure on the exact parts put im a menber of a US forum for the engine and they are very helpful and freindly just like evryone on here.
Heres the link.:thumb::thumb:
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ford truck and SUV owners and enthusiasts Community And Information Source.

OP
OP
C

crazy-tim

Deleted User
papajohn.... i have been informed that it is the same engine,gearbox,and chasis that International use on thier cash transporter trucks ???:Eeek:...oops! it's an econoline 350 BTW:RollEyes:.....thanks again for the link Andy !.. i am sure it will prove fruitfull:thumb:......... Does anybody know of the legalities around the use of a dolly wheel????... pehaps i could attach the 5th wheel to that and connect it to the van via an "A" frame????:Eeek::yeah:

Mar 2, 2009
USA
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
Eleven years full time 5'ers, 35 years recreational RV'ing. Home is Where We Park Our House
F-350 Towing Rating

We have been full-timers in the USA colony for eleven year. Much of that time was with an '97 F-350 7.3l crew cab towing a three axle, 40 ft, 14k lb fifth wheel. The 7.3 has a GCWR of 20,000 lbs. Don't confuse "towing rating" which is tongue pull rating with "Gross Combined Weight Rating" which is the fifth wheel rating. We did fine engine wise but the Ford automatic transmission was weak; in 120,000 miles we went through three transmissions. If you have a manual transmission and a 7.3l Power Stroke Ford engine, you can tow a lot of fifth wheel.

We upgraded to a heavier fifth wheel in 2008 and now have a medium duty truck. The pickup would pull the 19k lb fifth wheel but coming down the western mountain grades was scary.

Garvie and Elinor
Home is Where We Park Our House

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Does anybody know of the legalities around the use of a dolly wheel????... pehaps i could attach the 5th wheel to that and connect it to the van via an "A" frame????:Eeek::yeah:

unless you are a registered breakdown company and on a recovery, a dolly is definately illegal.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
welcome to the best place for unbiased info:thumb:
You should have a plate on the drivers door pillar, this will give the total loads on each axle and total (loaded) weight of truck. I think you may have the weights wrong, but that plate will soon tell you.
I don't see why the truck, when chopped down, can't handle a 5er.
I think that the pin should carry about 20% of the 5er's weight, so with the rear axle weight and the weight of intended 5er, you can soon work it out:thumb:
Also check load rating on tyres.
Don't even think of a dolly:Blush:
Make sure the sides of the "truck" are low enough to give clearance when turning.
The fifth wheel turntable should be JUST infront of the back axle.
Nigel

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If you don't chop your truck down, you could still have an RV, there are a few travel trailers around.
Nigel

C

Carl Lundquist

Deleted User
If you don't chop your truck down, you could still have an RV, there are a few travel trailers around.
Nigel

Indeed. The E350 is a fine tow vehicle, I have used one myself -- but with a conventional hitch. Butchering a E van to make a cobbled up tow platform for a fiver is a bit much. The E350 with the big gasser or the turbodiesel will haul 10,000 lbs. That is a pretty big travel trailer, but a middling fiver at best.

The way to go with the big Econoline is with a travel trailer and a good anti-sway, weight-distributing hitch like a Reese or Hensley.

Carl L/LA

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back