Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
Just had to be recovered, cannot engage gear whilst engine running but engine off will engage all but reverse. It's an Iveco 35/10, clutch or linkage is my question.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
You have answer your own question, if you can select all your gears,

except reverse that hasn't any synchromesh, then the linkage is ok,
As far as the clutch is concerned it could be hydraulic or mechanical,
Didn't the recovery driver give you any idea? ie is the clutch pedal soft? Was the clutch slipping/ smell of burning/ unusual noises when operating the clutch, a bit more information needed,

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Possibly "Hydraulics" problem...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I think it must be clutch control related, (mech or hydraulic), or the clutch centre plate fingers/thrust bearing has collapsed, but that's pretty rare these days. You can drive like that, (clutch-less), by selecting 2nd gear, (engine off) and starting on the key, changing gear clutch-less at zero revs. Just gets a bit 'sticky' at road junctions and traffic lights.....:Eeek: I brought a PD2 bus back that way one night from Huddersfield to Glossop.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As trumpet bum said a working clutch is preferable but brought our Eunos home from a Scottish holiday the way Toots described, £350 repair in Scotland or £30 at home so it was a no brainier.

OP
OP
Tkly

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
Thanks folks, it is a mech clutch, the clutch pedal is soft, the clutch wasnt slipping/ no smell of burning/ no unusual noises when operating the clutch

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can you play come to the cook house door boy's through your orifice Toots:moon2::whistle2:

John.
PLAY IT?? I could..(could....:cry::cry:)....suck sausage rolls off the hotplate whilst standing at the cookhouse door.......:(

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
Thanks folks, it is a mech clutch, the clutch pedal is soft, the clutch wasnt slipping/ no smell of burning/ no unusual noises when operating the clutch
Ok so you have a clutch cable, obviously first up is a snapped cable,
That would be a cheap repair, then you have choices! Clutch pedal or clutch fork or possibility of broken up thrust bearing but that would normally make a fair bit of noise before failure,
If it's thrust bearing or clutch fork then its a gearbox out job, and if the box has to come out replace the whole clutch,
The cable or clutch pedal should be a simple repair,
Good luck,

OP
OP
Tkly

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
Had a look today and it is the clutch it's less than half its original thickness and the springs are distorted(n). So now to find a local garage who will do it at a reasonable price.
thanks for all the replies will update when I know more.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Had a look today and it is the clutch it's less than half its original thickness and the springs are distorted(n). So now to find a local garage who will do it at a reasonable price.
thanks for all the replies will update when I know more.
Sounds like it's either been 'ridden', or the cable adjustment has been so far out, the clutch release bearing has been in full contact with the clutch cover, long enough to get the 'fingers' so hot they have warped. Surprised you didn't hear it.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sounds like it's either been 'ridden', or the cable adjustment has been so far out, the clutch release bearing has been in full contact with the clutch cover, long enough to get the 'fingers' so hot they have warped. Surprised you didn't hear it.
Modern clutches don't have any clearance between the release bearing and clutch cover - normally the bearing is held against the fingers by light spring pressure (enough to drive the bearing).

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Modern clutches don't have any clearance between the release bearing and clutch cover - normally the bearing is held against the fingers by light spring pressure (enough to drive the bearing).
Please excuse my advanced age in these matters...........:cry::cry::cry:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
I've had cars with graphite release bearings too ................
Boy they went away with the ark:) but unfortunately I am old enough to remember them well(y) the Hillman imp was a nice little earner for me in my younger days in the trade,

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
the Hillman imp was a nice little earner for me in my younger days in the trade
Me to! (y) Especially before they made the clutch an inch bigger........:)

OP
OP
Tkly

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
Update on the clutch part of the plate holding the springs had broken.
new clutch fitted wallet £400 lighter but Ivy's back on the road :) (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back