LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Is there a list of water tap points anywhere? Arrived up near Inverbeg on Fri night only to find we had an airlock and used all our water trying to clear it. Had to drive 9 miles or so to Balloch on Saturday morning, ended up paying a campsite £3 for water. A water tap location points would be handy :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A water tap location points would be handy :)

never seen one..

places to get water:

Garages, service areas,
Garden centers
Church yards
Cemeteries
Public toilets.. some have outside taps
Car parks
Marinas
Boat yards
Harbours

etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Its not really that long... is it?

if you are off site camping you need to carry plenty of hose, I used to carry 3 x 20 mt rolls.. and a watering can .. never get stuck ..

I would suggest a minimum of 20 mts .. plus a good selection of tap adapters including the rubber push on type .. in two sizes

Last edited:

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
The wildcamping web site has a poi file you can download for your satnav (if you subscribe) of lots of tap locations. I guess they will be the type of locations ScotJimland has listed.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I find carrying an Aquaroll is better than hose (or at least the ex-tugger in me does). Think of it as an infinite length of hose. I made a simple device to lock it below a cycle carrier so it isn't intruding on somewhere useful for other things.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What size connector is normally used on sites regards

as said they do vary.. however by far the most common is a 3/4" screwed outdoor tap..
as it's easy to forget and leave it on the tap.. I carry a couple of the first one.. also added to my collection by 'finding' them still on taps.

this adapter covers two sizes 3/4" and 1/2 "
Broken Link Removed

occasional see a 1"

Broken Link Removed

and for round taps..18 mm and 24 mm
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A few types of water supply have a female connector - no tap.

I've seen the taps with a push down valve, they are difficult to connect to.. and you have to stand and hold it while you fill..

but that's a new one on me.. never seen one like that.. is that a new type of bourne ?

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Yes Jim they seem to be appearing more and more these days, We have come across them on the Ile d' Oleron and at Rugles last year there are probably more but these were just two places where we needed to fill up.

The connection is usually close to ground level I think its to stop the watering can users using them. As in the type of people that park close to the borne then immediately dive when you move off to see if there is any water left they can skank for free.

You do have to connect your hose pipe to the connector before you attach it to the borne as there is no tap to stop the flow.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I was going to mention the one at Luss but I see you tried there, I would think if your at a waterside location then you would find a tap near where boats are tied up.
We carry a 25L container with us and a 12v pump to pump it into the tank, also carry 25m of hose and so far never been stuck.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Those male/male are a PITA if you are too far away from them, although we carry a longish hose. Deciding we didn't want a watering can using space, we started carrying a 10L water carrier we already had - not too big, flat enough to fit in a certain handy place in the 'garage' that was otherwise unused (tapering ledge in there) so can also be carried full if wanted, eg going on to an aire with no borne, or if we just don't know, or indeed, when it's free where we are and tokens where we're going! - and a flexible hosed funnel to just top up as and when if we need to.

I can lift the full 10L and pour it in the tank (ie - into the funnel inserted in the neck of the tank) easily enough whereas anything bigger and I wouldn't - so it's another job I can do on my own rather than Pete having to do it all the while.

Have to add - we have no objection to paying but it depends how easily you can get the wherewithal doesn't it? Actual coinage is fine - but if you aren't in walking distance of the place you get the jetons - or it's very rural and the place is only open eg Tuesday morning and Thursday afternoon and we've arrived Thursday evening and wanted to stay several days ..... watering cans are ideal provided the wherewithal to fill them is on site, but you can't carry extra water slopping about in them, can you!

hebhunter

Free Member
Mar 23, 2015
Perth
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
Since 1998
If in the Inverness area, the Tourist Information Office in the car park in Drumnadrochit has a tap on the outside.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I've seen the taps with a push down valve, they are difficult to connect to.. and you have to stand and hold it while you fill..

but that's a new one on me.. never seen one like that.. is that a new type of bourne ?
HI

I have seen a device designed for Holding down the push button type of shower taps Hooks behind the Tap or pipe and uses a screw to hold the tap open.

OR this one? http://www.showerfriend.com/

Pete

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I only carry 10m hose a twenty letter water can and a jug
Never Ben stuck for water even in the middal of no whare we harvest rain water when it rains boiled for doing the pots freeing up drinking water
I have also used water from burns and rivers boiled.
Boiling kills mos bacterial stuff and a water pure tab will work to
Willdbill

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We have a 100 litre inboard fresh water tank, 2 x 25 litre containers stored in the top box which are filled if we go off into the unknown and 10 litre and 5 litre bottles in the van, plus every conceivable tap connector We have found so far.

We also have a device for holding down push taps, it's called a re-usable cable tie. :LOL:

Hymie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back