Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As far as I am aware, comprehensive insurance for full timers is impossible to find. If you have negotiated insurance as a full timer and are insured as such, or, you are a company that offers same; please let us know here. Thanks:Smile:

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Last yearCOMFORT quoted me for insurance with "no postcode" loading.

But it was bloody expensive - over £2700 for the year.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Jim,

I believe there are a lot of full timers out there who would love to purchase a 100% full timing premium, without telling any 'white lies'. :winky:

I would just love to hear why it isn't possible for motor homers whilst it is for narrow boaters :Eeek:

Papa Smurf. Did you ask them the question at Comfort WHY the charge is so great, surely you are no greater risk and as long as you have paid or or regularly paying your premium again WHY?

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would just love to hear why it isn't possible for motor homers whilst it is for narrow boaters.

I think it's because people have been living on narrow boats for over a hundred years, it's an accepted life style, on the other hand, full time motorhoming is a fairly recent phenomena.. once it has been 'accepted' as an alternative to bricks and mortar the insurance companies may be more accommodating.. but I wouldn't hold my breath.

There was an insurance broker on one of the sites, might have been Facts, who was going to investigate and hopefully offer a policy, but I never did see the outcome.. if indeed there was one.

Jim

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Jim,

Papa Smurf. Did you ask them the question at Comfort WHY the charge is so great, surely you are no greater risk and as long as you have paid or or regularly paying your premium again WHY?

Mick

The reason I was given was that they use postcodes to determine the relative "security" of where the vehicle will be (most of the time). For example, giving a particular Nortampton address would have lowered the premium by £1300 or so). Having no postcode loading means that the vehicle as treated as being in a high crime area all the time.

Papa

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Noticed on another thread today 'grey nomads' that member 'apxc15' is insured for full time motorhoming with Comfort. We wonder how much the premium is??

Nigel and Pamala

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
The reason I was given was that they use postcodes to determine the relative "security" of where the vehicle will be (most of the time). For example, giving a particular Nortampton address would have lowered the premium by £1300 or so). Having no postcode loading means that the vehicle as treated as being in a high crime area all the time.

Papa

.....which is an absolute farce!:Eeek:
eg

My RV was down as stored on the drive (postcode given was Mum in Laws addy). After a couple of years, wifey and I got nervous on this one in case of a claim being thoroughly investigated.
So, I rang my insurers and said, "we want to build an extension on the house but the RV is in the way. How will it affect my EXISTING policy if I store it at my mates farm in the middle of no-where, Cheshire."?
Anwer = There'll be no difference at all because your policy is based on your HOME postcode, NOT where the 'van is stored!!!!!!!!!!

Oh right, so if I live in the outer Hebridese and store the van in the middle of Beruit, the be no bl**dy difference then?!!!!!!!!
Farce, absolute FARCE and the quicker there is a government inquiry into the running of insurance companies, the better /fairer the system will become!:Angry:

Rnat over, sorry guys!:Blush:

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
I can't see why fulltimers have such problems, after all a unit must be less nickable if you live in it 24/7 rather than being parked on your drive/stored when you are at work and obviously not guarding it?

Perhaps this thread ought to be continued on the private fulltimers????
Jan

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A member called Comfort Insurance has read this thread and not yet commented here. If this member does represent Comfort, why have they not cleared this up, either they offer proper FullTimers insurance (no home or permanent post code) or they don't.

I can't think why they would remain stum

hobson

Free Member
Dec 9, 2008
UK
Funster No
insurance

Papa

You'd think though, bearing in mind that motorhomes are generally parked away from high crime areas like major cities, and on secure sites, that they would do the opposite and class it as being in a low crime area all the time?
i know that wouldn't include wild camping, but again, who wild camps in a high crime area?

then again the robbing insurance companies wouldn't make the same obscene profits then would they?! and they wonder why people try to rip them off!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just wondering how the pike......travellers do it.

i know their trucks are on showmans insurance but what about their living vans/rv's

edit......i mean fairground ride owners not travellers :Doh:

Last edited:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
.....which is an absolute farce!:Eeek:
eg

My RV was down as stored on the drive (postcode given was Mum in Laws addy). After a couple of years, wifey and I got nervous on this one in case of a claim being thoroughly investigated.
So, I rang my insurers and said, "we want to build an extension on the house but the RV is in the way. How will it affect my EXISTING policy if I store it at my mates farm in the middle of no-where, Cheshire."?
Anwer = There'll be no difference at all because your policy is based on your HOME postcode, NOT where the 'van is stored!!!!!!!!!!

Oh right, so if I live in the outer Hebridese and store the van in the middle of Beruit, the be no bl**dy difference then?!!!!!!!!
Farce, absolute FARCE and the quicker there is a government inquiry into the running of insurance companies, the better /fairer the system will become!:Angry:

Rnat over, sorry guys!:Blush:
I moved from a "good" area to a not quite as "good" area ,when my renewal came they had the address of my home as the place where the motorhome was stored and quoted accordingly. When I told them that the mh was stored on a storage site near where we previosly lived they dropped the premium by £50! So if Iwere you I'd get back on to your insurace co and recheck. By the way we are with NFU.
Regards, Dave:thumb:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i told my insurance company that the 'van would be parked in a secure compound with CCTV and they charged me an extra £22 for 2 months as they said insurers prefered the 'van to be where it can be seen all the time i.e. on the drive. I said it was more secure in the compound than on the drive. Ah they said, thats what other owners have said.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Insurance

I had a tiff with my insurers 5 yrs ago when I moved post code. The old one was OK but the new one was a "High Risk" Funny that! :Doh::Doh: It was in a military barracks with armed guards on the gate and I needed a vehicle pass to get in and out. Didn't wash with them tho and I had to pay a higher primium.Yes, the industry needs to be looked into before it ends up like the banks>:Eeek:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
A member called Comfort Insurance has read this thread and not yet commented here. If this member does represent Comfort, why have they not cleared this up, either they offer proper FullTimers insurance (no home or permanent post code) or they don't.

I can't think why they would remain stum

Jim,

Someone calling themselves Comfort appears to have joined several RV / motorhome forums and promised to address this matter then they have never posted since.:Sad:

Mick

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The whole insurance set up is crazy. One insurer that I rang said "Before we start the minimum premium is £800.00".

I'm sure they make it all up as they go along. They carry very little risk for enormous profit.

Jim :Angry:

PeterAndPatCue

Funster
Oct 16, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Full-timing or not Full-timing

I would like to introduce myself to you. I am Peter Cue and am the Managing Director of Comfort Insurance and I own, and have owned for 20+ years, a motor caravan. I feel I would like to respond to your queries.

What do we mean by the euphamism “full-timing”?
12 to 18 months ago I embarked on looking at the question of taking on this business because there was no justified reason why we shouldn’t. Since then we have sent out and also posted to our web site our Newsletter in relation to this subject, which was not sent out to mislead any motor caravanner. On the contrary we have had a very interesting response and I will share with you four cases which have come to light. The first is where the client is renting out his property and intends to travel extensively in Europe in his motor home over the next 12 months. The second is a client who parked his motor home on private land and used it as a park home and not using the vehicle for any road use whatsoever. The third client uses his motor home to work, parks the vehicle on a derelict site and the vehicle is used as a site office whilst on duty as a Security Guard and as a home when off duty and occasionally takes the vehicle off for holiday purposes. The fourth client has property in Europe where he lives extensively most of the time and parks his vehicle on a permanent basis at the European address and uses an accommodation address in the UK.

All of these think they are “full timing” which gives us a dilemma as you will appreciate that each falls under its own Underwriting criteria. This being taken into consideration I am of the opinion we will be dropping the term full timing as we feel it is a misleading term to the general public. It is our aim to treat the client fairly at all times and taking this into consideration we will be underwriting each risk on its own individual merits and consequently there will be some risks we will be unable to ‘provide’ and others which we will. Each individual quote will be tailored to the clients needs according to the information.

I have carried out some extensive market research on this matter over the recent months and one disturbing factor which has come to light is that there seems to be camp site gossip that you can give any address so long as the post arrives and you answer it because the Insurers will be quite happy. This is not the case. I sit on the Forum of Citarg which is the Caravan Insurers Theft and Accident Research Group and speaking to my colleagues I know for a fact that repudiation of claims and cancellation of policies due to non disclosure seems to be a worry aspect.

It may be very easy to obtain a piece of paper stating that you are insured but that does not necessarily mean that that person will be paid out if they have not been totally honest and upfront full disclosure and we must be perfectly honest and say that this is becoming a very worrying situation. Hence the reason that we have be putting the necessary procedures in place to avoid any unnecessary problems in the event of a claim.

I hope you have found the above information useful and please do not hesitate to contact me by E-Mail , should you wish to do so.

Peter Cue

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Welcome to the Fun Forum and thamk you for youe slant on Fulltiming it makes interesting reading
I have a rather simplisic idea
Run it like Motor Trade insurance
I tell you I drive a Mini
you charge me for Rolls Royce
Bingo full time insurance:thumb::ROFLMAO:
Geo

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Thank you for that response, Peter - but I really do feel that you have not in any way helped us with the dilemna of which address we can use and which address we cannot.

You say you do not like the term 'full-timers' - OK I accept that but what else do we (retired people) call ourselves when we live eat, sleep, drink and travel full time in our RV.

We obviously have no 'home' address - we cannot truthfully state that we live with our children nor are we allowed to use a Post Office Box address.

So other than bending the truth - what address can we quote?

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Thanks for your posting Comfort.

Whilst you are here, do you have any comment to make on the legality of towing
with an A frame and how Insurance companies deal with any claims involving the
use of A frames in the UK and Europe ?

Thanks

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
with regard to an address, most fulltimers have a home base site, That is their home address surely. (instead of a postcode you use your reg number, hee hee)

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Peter

In your case studies.. None are Full Timers.

No1 Have UK property

No2 Uses it as a park home, so no need for vehicle insurance per say

No3 Has a home address, so not a full timer

No4 Has property abroad and in the UK .. not a full timer

It's as Dick says,. we live in our RV... FULL TIME .. no property here or abroad.. whether we work or not is of no consequence.. we look after our RV probably better than a part timer because it is our ONLY home, we are with it 24/7 , it's never left in storage, we know that to lose it we would be on the street ... so we are very very careful whilst driving and where we stay..

The bottom line is.... can you provide affordable FULL TIME insurance with no fixed address ?

Cheers
Jim

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Wildman, I appreciate that you are trying to join in the spirit of the Motorhome Fun site BUT to some of us this really is a very serious subject - and I really don't think you are helping us, at the moment.
We (perhaps) are risking losing everything we own in a disastrous fire situation - simply because we currently cannot get proper insurance through the lack of having a 'proper' address.

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
I would like to introduce myself to you. I am Peter Cue and am the Managing Director of Comfort Insurance and I own, and have owned for 20+ years, a motor caravan. I feel I would like to respond to your queries.

What do we mean by the euphamism “full-timing”?
12 to 18 months ago I embarked on looking at the question of taking on this business because there was no justified reason why we shouldn’t. Since then we have sent out and also posted to our web site our Newsletter in relation to this subject, which was not sent out to mislead any motor caravanner. On the contrary we have had a very interesting response and I will share with you four cases which have come to light. The first is where the client is renting out his property and intends to travel extensively in Europe in his motor home over the next 12 months. The second is a client who parked his motor home on private land and used it as a park home and not using the vehicle for any road use whatsoever. The third client uses his motor home to work, parks the vehicle on a derelict site and the vehicle is used as a site office whilst on duty as a Security Guard and as a home when off duty and occasionally takes the vehicle off for holiday purposes. The fourth client has property in Europe where he lives extensively most of the time and parks his vehicle on a permanent basis at the European address and uses an accommodation address in the UK.

All of these think they are “full timing” which gives us a dilemma as you will appreciate that each falls under its own Underwriting criteria. This being taken into consideration I am of the opinion we will be dropping the term full timing as we feel it is a misleading term to the general public. It is our aim to treat the client fairly at all times and taking this into consideration we will be underwriting each risk on its own individual merits and consequently there will be some risks we will be unable to ‘provide’ and others which we will. Each individual quote will be tailored to the clients needs according to the information.

I have carried out some extensive market research on this matter over the recent months and one disturbing factor which has come to light is that there seems to be camp site gossip that you can give any address so long as the post arrives and you answer it because the Insurers will be quite happy. This is not the case. I sit on the Forum of Citarg which is the Caravan Insurers Theft and Accident Research Group and speaking to my colleagues I know for a fact that repudiation of claims and cancellation of policies due to non disclosure seems to be a worry aspect.

It may be very easy to obtain a piece of paper stating that you are insured but that does not necessarily mean that that person will be paid out if they have not been totally honest and upfront full disclosure and we must be perfectly honest and say that this is becoming a very worrying situation. Hence the reason that we have be putting the necessary procedures in place to avoid any unnecessary problems in the event of a claim.

I hope you have found the above information useful and please do not hesitate to contact me by E-Mail , should you wish to do so.

Peter Cue

Thanks for the info Peter but i think you need an option 5 for people that realy do fultime as they have no postcode so maybe you can add this to your system:thumb::thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

What do we mean by the euphamism “full-timing”?........
Peter

As others have mentioned, none of the four cases you quote are actual 'fulltimers', and as you will already have noticed from this thread, there are those who do actually live 24/7 in their motorhome or RV. That is their permanent home....their 'house'. They don't have any other....no bricks 'n mortar and no fixed address.

People like this want to insure legally, without having to 'jump through hoops' or use any 'dodges'.

I'd suggest your company could make very good business by beginning to look at ways of offering a policy to people who fulltime.

It has been asked before and nobody appears to know for sure the answer, but just how for example do travellers insure their caravans who constantly move from one area to another, and therefore technically have 'no fixed address'?

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Peter,

What is the problem of using a relatives address as your own, if the bank, the DVLA for vehicle and driver, doctor, life insurance companies, ex- employer are all happy then why not?

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Whilst I am very pleased to see Peter from Comfort Insurance come onto this Forum to answer some questions - it is blatantly obvious that he cannot - or Comfort will not - answer the simple question as to why Insurance Companies will not accept full-timers with no fixed address.

Until such times as they can, or will, answer that question 'full-timers' will have to carry on 'bending the truth' to suit their circumstances.

What a shame - and what hypocrisy on the part of the Insurance Companies (in my humble opinion) - knowing that 'full-timers' are having to bend the truth in order to get those legally required documents - and yet very willing to accept their cash in the full knowledge that they will probably reject any claim they make, anyway!

Last edited:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Whilst I am very pleased to see Peter from Comfort Insurance come onto this Forum to answer some questions - it is blatantly obvious that he cannot - or Comfort will not - answer the simple question as to why Insurance Companies will not accept full-timers with no fixed address.

Until such times as they can, or will, answer that question 'full-timers' will have to carry on 'bending the truth' to suit their circumstances.

What a shame - and what hypocrisy on the part of the Insurance Companies (in my humble opinion) - knowing that 'full-timers' are having to bend the truth in order to get those legally required documents - and yet very willing to accept their cash in the full knowledge that they will probably reject any claim they make, anyway!

TOTAL 100% AGREEMENT!:thumb:
However, and believe me this hurts me, to be fair to Peter, I VERY much suspect that he has his hands tied. The problem is not that agents like Confort (there are other agents!:ROFLMAO:) are willing to supply insurance to Fulltimers, the problem is that thay cannot get the underwriters ( the BIG boys) to agree to a policy which the agents could then offer us.
I know this from talking at length on the phone to the MD of Safeguard insurance after a certain dealer misunderstood what had been told to him and offered a Fulltimers package which didn't actually exist.
When I contacted Safeguard, very exited at the prospect of taking up this offer, they were horrified that they had been misunderstood and the dealer had to remove the inaccurate info from his web site.
Safeguard told me that they would HAPPILY supply a Fulltimers policy IF and I mean IF, they could get an underwriter to write one up. They told me that they have tried many times without success and are STILL pushing for such a policy because they KNOW Fulltimers are out there and they KNOW that they are missing out on a golden oportunity purely due to the short sightedness/bigotry/unfounded suspicion of the BIG boys.
Fulltimers can only wait and hope.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back