MoHo interiors - what's your favourite, best for you and how?? (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All -was reading shano118's thread and made me think a little.

Its strange when you are used to one type of internal arrangement, nothing else seems to fit the bill (though different vans, both our vans were/are the same internal layout) - double over cab, mid opposing bench dining room, rear large U shaped lounge. Anyone else think the same?

We went to two large local MoHo dealers yesterday (Wife got mad at me watching the rugby):LOL: and we looked at some really nice vans from most of the big manufacturers. However, we agreed that nothing fits our requirements like our current one does. We looked at rear fixed beds, pull-down bed A class's, rear bathroom types and island bedded, driver/passenger seats that have to spin round to a table forming half diner with seats opposite - still nothing.

Our current Apache has a large rear U shaped lounge we love to 'lounge' in feet up, me one side, Wife the other, TV on at night in front of both of us and at eye level - two mins its a huge double bed. Mid van has two opposing bench type seating/diner we use with the table between for eating, again, two mins and its a double bed (though we don't use it). Above the cab a huge double bed, whilst travelling it is an enormous cavern for all things bedding, chairs etc.
Under the rear U shape lounge is our awning, ramps, waste roller, tools, watering cans, two large windbreaks, EHU cable, water hose, two large batteries, etc etc etc.

We just cannot see how we could fit into anything else and have the space/comfort we are used to in ours.

Has anyone had a huge change of interior/van,,,,,,, and it then suited them? Probably just us, but just about every fixed bed model we saw either had to climb to dizzy heights on what looked like pallets or they took up half the van just leaving a seating area mid van which meant you had to sit sideways to watch TV and that was the only 'room'.

If any one of us are in a huff or want to read/computer alone I go to the dining area sit there by the table and Wife sits, again feet up, in the rear lounge.

How do you make it 'fit'........ Confused.:whistle:

Trikeman. ;)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Our new (to us) van will be the Hymer 674 SL .. it has has twin fixed beds, front L shaped lounge ..tad over 7mt .. good sized garage.

I agree that a Pullman dinette is a poor lounging area.. in fact it's useless for lounging.. the L shape with the two cab chairs swiveled round makes a good lounge..

U shaped lounges are great for family lounging, but we don't want the palaver of making up a double bed every night and all but one of the family has flown the nest.. .. twin fixed beds can also be used as a 'day bed' for afternoon naps..

Charlotte will be with us for a couple of more years , she will use the pull -down cab bed.

Layouts are always a compromise.. no such thing as the 'one size fits all' hence the variety available..

Broken Link Removed

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I agree with you, that’s the layout I prefer too, I would like the extra room in the tag Arapaho but it does come at extra running costs, my second favourite would low rear east west bed, with amidships kitchen front L shaped seating (with extra seatbelts) and opposing settee. I realise that people want large garages but nearly all EAST/WEST fixed beds are really high, don’t the manufactories realise a far few of us buyers can’t climb Mount Everest every night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We cycle, we ski, we canoe.

We would never have a van without a garage. We can't be doing with stuff dangling on racks, out in the elements, rusting and tempting thieves.

Front lounge for us!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Had ours 10 years still like the layout, had motorhomes/caravans for 40 odd years always gone for same lay out, End Kitchen, mid lounge and bedroom, works well for us.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
656-layout.jpg

When we switched from a Veedub Kombi to a MoHo we went for the above layout.

The double bed shown is overcab, the dinette can be made into a double bed but we don't do that, and the rear bed is a fixed bunk with a hinged lower bed so the garage space below can be made taller if required, but it never is in ours. What is shown as a seat to the right of the doorway is actually a tall cupboard for us, and there are side lockers above the kitchen area and the dinette.

Our choice was influenced by constantly having to change one bit of furniture into another in the VeeDub - we wanted everything laid out as we planned to use it, rather than faffing about converting things at bedtime and in the morning. Most of the time it's just the two of us so we stow our food boxes and junk on the back bunks. If we take the youngest and a friend with us they have the bunks. The dinette stays as a dinette. We don't need more than four seats at any one time, and the cab seats don't swivel.

On a wet day when you're stuck indoors it's sometimes not a bad thing for people to be at different ends of the vehicle and not tripping over each other, and that layout helps. If you're on a long journey and pull in to a service area for a break you can hop up the ladder into the overcab for a snooze without having to literally make your bed.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have to agree with @jonandshell our layout started with the garage which was a must have, that then dictates that your bed goes over the top And when we bought this van it was single beds wich did not suit us so a a simple mod mad it a large transverse double.

The lounge is a short sofa (good for lounging) and then bar version table with captains chair and two swivel front seats, drop down bed that never gets used other than storage, TV is fixed to the drop down bed on a swing down bracket so can be viewed while lounging sitting or working in the kitchen.

Works for us and we would be very tempted to do the same again except that we would delete the drop down bed in favour of cupboards all around the front.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
image.jpg

This is our present Motorhome ( different fabric) soon for sale.
We chose it because the layout was perfect For us . We'd had several caravans and knew what we required for wet,warm,freezing, camping.
Kids had the bunks we had the king size Luton over cab bed. The bottom bunk raises up creating a large garage area. Top bunk great for storage too once kids no longer came.
Large lounge area swivel seats ideal for entertaining or family lounging. Enough space for rainy days without having a huge van. I'm sure we'd have kept her if Ralph hadn't wanted to build his own. Whilst having a healthy income coming in.
Although we are downsizing , To get to more out of the way places, people we know think we're mad selling the Mizar. We took her around the outer Hebrides no problems. But with "Pug" the pvc we shall have separate single beds. Plus the must have, in our opinion , a feet up laid out lounging area. That's the best thing about doing your own, you can have it exactly how you want.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Had three different layouts. Each was ideal for the purpose and situation at the time.

The only thing I would change about the present van is that I would like a bit more "lounge" room ..... the Chausson 610 would help with that but I am not sure how comfortable the seats are for sprawling.

The Chausson 500 is lovely for sprawling but too small and the garage isn't big enough for us - but if I was a solo motorhomer it is one of the models I would seriously consider.

In our current van we could (and probably will) take out the table and replace it with a smaller and lighter table which would solve that issue :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We wanted a garage but didn't want a fixed bed over.......we have wardrobes/storage running across the back instead(y)

We wanted an A class and we're happy in the comfy drop down bed........the compromise is a small bathroom as we were limited length wise to 6.5m. It feels very airy inside.

We looked at loads but only ever saw this make/model with this layout:)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Our van is the first we have ever owned (had caravans before). Only the two of us. We take bikes, dinghies, fishing kit, surf boards or whatever we need at the time (not all at once!) so they all fit nicely in the garage which is under the fixed rear bed. The two swivel chairs provide the 'lounging around' requirement and the dinette is always ready. The double bed is always made and very comfortable. We have plenty of storage and plenty of water, gas etc in a small (ish) van.

The van is Globecar Globescout based on a 6 metre Fiat Ducato. This is the best compromise for us as we travel extensively and reap the rewards of reduced ferry/toll/bridge fees and excellent fuel consumption.

We are always mobile and rarely stay still for more than a couple of days so this size/layout suits us just fine. If we were spending more time in one place and doing less mileage we would probably go for a smaller A class Hymer as they definitely provide (I imagine) more on site comfort and 'home like' experience. Sometimes we are aware that we are 'sleeping in a delivery van' LOL

globescout-grundriss.jpg

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We've searched and searched for our perfect van but keeping it under 3.5t is difficult with what we want. We also love the rear lounge for lounging at night but also want a garage, the 2 don't mix! !
trying to find 2 fixed singles low but not too low to enable us to have a garage also so that we can continue lounging and have a small front dinette.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are on our 3rd van and are pretty happy with the layout. Huge overcab, bunks for when the kids are with us. Garage under the bunks for all the skiing and motocross stuff. My husband converted the single dinette to a sofa which allows us to watch films on the laptop and to sit comfortably in the evenings. The Pullman dinette is not ideal for lounging but is great for eating.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Have to agree with @jonandshell our layout started with the garage which was a must have, that then dictates that your bed goes over the top And when we bought this van it was single beds wich did not suit us so a a simple mod mad it a large transverse double.

The lounge is a short sofa (good for lounging) and then bar version table with captains chair and two swivel front seats, drop down bed that never gets used other than storage, TV is fixed to the drop down bed on a swing down bracket so can be viewed while lounging sitting or working in the kitchen.

Works for us and we would be very tempted to do the same again except that we would delete the drop down bed in favour of cupboards all around the front.

As you know we have very similar vans. Last year we met a Frenchman with the same van who had cupboards instead of a pulldown bed and wished he had a bed. The more cupboards you have the more you put in them. Would be good to meet sometime and compare notes. We are going to the Weymouth Bagwell farm rally in June, how about you ?
Phil

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
cracking replies so far and the subject, almost a forum on its own I bet. Interesting to hear the differences in requirements/drivers for layouts (must be a bloody nightmare for manufacturers). Once I thought it was 'fashions' changing that led to differing interiors, however true demands seem to be leading the market - which is good.
:clap2:
We are off today to look at more (for some reason the other half likes looking and 'pawing' vans) so off we go - she's already asked if I have my wallet with me.
:Eeek:
Even with the slightly higher running costs of an Arapaho, if one had the same interior, reliability and all the gadgets (solar/air) and in as good condition as ours I think I could sell one of my, (currently) functioning, kidneys to buy it.

Keep em coming.:notworthy2:

Thanks,

Trikeman.:wink:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The layout we want next is the same as @chokswahay. Although we aren't actually bothered about a garage.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
This layout suits me perfectly for use as a day van and trips away for myself and muttley:

img5477088699e0c_zpsmxrex62n.jpg

Should be here 1st week of May :)

Brian

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
When we were researching buying our fist Moho we decided we wanted a PVC (Vantage Neo), we ended up buying a coach-built Autosleeper which was just a like a PVC but a bit bigger!
After a year we decided that making up a double bed every night or sleeping in single beds was not for us.
In January this year we sold the Autosleeper and bought a Hymer with a fixed bed - much more like us.
No plans to change Moho (yet).

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I'm with Trikeman on the layout.

We have found that the most convenient bed layout for the two of us is using the rear as 2 singles. Very quick to set up, no problem getting out for the loo at night, I can get up early and move about without disturbing 'The Boss' and can have my breakfast in the dining area.

Grand children (and grown up children) love the over cab bed.

e495.jpeg

KH

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We have a autoroller 600 at 7.3 mtrs, have looked at other layouts as I fancy something smaller but with 3 dogs and how we spend our time inside this suits at present time.
Double dinette made into bed for dogs travelling, sleeping and hubby lounging.
End lounge for me lounging and tele watching with or without dog/s. Huge overcab that we can still climb easily and no nightime bathroom visits yet.:D
Northumberland-20120921-00157.jpg

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
@Photo4x4

I'm with Trikeman on the layout.

We have found that the most convenient bed layout for the two of us is using the rear as 2 singles. Very quick to set up, no problem getting out for the loo at night, I can get up early and move about without disturbing 'The Boss' and can have my breakfast in the dining area.

Grand children (and grown up children) love the over cab bed.

View attachment 57354

KH

nice...what van is that then? how long are the rear single berths?

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We keep looking to change vans, I would like a garage area and a larger bathroom with separate shower, Les would like fixed single beds however we both want to keep our u shaped lounge that we have at present. I would only overload the van by filling up the garage space and, If I breath in, I can fit in our existing bathroom provided I don't drop the soap...! As for the fixed beds, we had a fixed bed in our Swift Onyx caravan and it was nice but I missed the space that it took up when we were not in it and infact for most of the time we were in it we didn't appreciate it as we were fast asleep!! Yes it saved making and packing away the bed but that only takes a few minute so It's a rear lounge for us. Each to their own...

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Everyone to their own, thats why there are so many variations. Best layout is what suits the individual.
Personal preference, 3rd layout for us, is full width rearbathroom, incl full size shower and plenty of room for loo, single beds and dinette with turning captain seats. The spacial effect of not having mid way obstructions, toilet or wardrobe, gives a feeling of spaciousness , lacking in other vans. Would love A class with this layout if funds were available!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My van is a Hobby 750 FLC - and the layout is as near perfect as I can find. :Smile:

D750FLC.jpg

French bed with large underbed locker; rear washroom with separate shower: large kitchen with 'larder' cupboard the size of a full-height wardrobe; spacious front lounge with rotating captain's chairs (made even more spacious by removing the enormous table and replacing it with a folding table that stores in the cab when not in use).

Previous van had a transverse high bed over a garage. As a fulltimer, I assumed I had to have a garage for maximum storage - never really needed it. Much prefer the lower French bed. Also like the fact that the L-shaped kitchen has plenty of space to manoeuvre and does away with the 'galley kitchen' effect. Another bonus is that this van is not an A-class, whereas previous van was.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ah Maz! Our Pilote is a similar layout though we looked at Hobbys amongst all sorts of others.

Trouble with that kitchen configuration is if you are half a couple (or have old enough children) and one is washing up, the other can't dry at the same time. Also MoHo draining boards are not famous for being capacious so it's virtually impossible after eg a meat, spuds + veg plus gravy dinner to get all of it on the drainer, so the drying up needs to be done as the other washes. If you had a pud and a cup of coffee after, before doing the washing up - impossible.

I know none of that's an issue for you, so it's great - but it's just the sort of (to others - minor) thing that would get RIGHT up both our noses in very short order!

Our sink is a bit further along the same worktop, so more than half the drainer has worktop under it to the RHS of the sink when one is washing in it. The other stands in the 'corridor' to dry up and puts the dry stuff on the dining table. Our own snag is that behind tween the passenger seat facing forwards there is a wooden partition, to which a rear facing comfy but lowbacked seat is attached. That means although you can turn the comfy front seat and it's fine to sit on - there's nowhere to support your legs! Drivers seat is fine, with the RH 'sofa' but nowhere for the other to stretch out properly - unless you lie of the bed. That's not very sociable for the two of us. We certainly don't hate it, but I do wish we'd clocked that better before we'd bought it.

So far I certainly haven't yet seen any van that is 100% perfect layout for us. There ARE snags and compromises in almost every design, for somebody - I'm glad I don't have to do it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back