Norman Wyatt

Free Member
Mar 21, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
do not own one yet
Exp
Having been put off other motorhomes such as Swifts, Bessacarr and Autocruise Starfire type vans with many stories of damp floors we are having second thoughts. We have been looking at van conversions (panel vans) and think they may be a bit short on space.
Hymers have good reputations for being solid and dry - does this extend to the 544K Camp as this seems to have a similar body to other coach built motorhomes? We have found one for sale and it looks very tempting with good mileage and wonder if it is worth the journey to look at it.
Kind regards

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have found one for sale and it looks very tempting with good mileage and wonder if it is worth the journey to look at it.
best advice is to take nothing for granted.. or anyone's word.. one person will say they have never had damp in a Camp.. another the opposite

take along a damp meter and check it over.. buy a relatively cheap one off eBay.
check all joints where the walls meet the floor and roof, and down the corners.. also around windows and roof lights.. that is where you are most likely to find any damp..

if you suspect damp, just walk away.. plenty for sale

oh.. nearly forgot..
and welcome to the forum.. well worth paying the tenner to join.. you will have plenty of questions and there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here only too willing to help..

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No CB is completely immune to damp problems, but Hymer with their PUAL construction are about as immune as you can get. Their is no timber framing in the wall and roof construction and the closed cell foam they use does not allow water to capillary through it, if water does get in it can't do much damage. On older Hymers (pre 2011/2012) the floors are still timer but they do use marine grade ply worth careful checking. Later vans have a GRP floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Norman Wyatt

Free Member
Mar 21, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
do not own one yet
Exp
Many thanks for your reply. I do know that no motorhome is guaranteed to stay dry, water will find a way. We nearly bought a Swift Sundance 4 years ago, only for the lucky? buyer to find a rotten floor, £1000 to repair, phew, close call.

My niece has just had damp found in her 3 year old Swift caravan, £700 repair.

My brother has just found damp in his 3 year old Swift Kontiki, second bit of damp found.

When you reach an age where you no longer have a regular income, aside from a pension coming in, it makes me a bit twitchy.

I will still continue to look.

Regards.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You pays your money you take your choice ...and your choice alone , as you have already found its a minefield out there .
Good luck and welcome

smiley-face-thumbs-up-animation.gif

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When you reach an age where you no longer have a regular income, aside from a pension coming in, it makes me a bit twitchy.

I will still continue to look.

makes us all a bit twitchy..

but stick with a German built and you have a better chance of a rot free van.. the Hymer Camp is general a good van

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back