Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
I have just installed an Avtex sat dome and on testing I can only lock onto Astra 1 The instructions say the skew is factory set for receiving satellites located at 13E from an earth location of 12E and I will need to adjust the skew, it suggests moving it whilst in service and watch the signal quality on the tv whilst I am doing it, the problem I have is that at home where I have ladders etc to go on the top I am shielded from the satellite by the house so can not do that. I don't want to do it while away from home so does anyone know the correct skew angle for Astra 2 to cover all of England as there is a graduated scale on the LNB I can use to do the setting.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Just found dishpointer.com which seems to give me a skew of -11.5 for my location I would still appreciate any input from knowledgeable folk on here as to which angle to set to to give best all-round results I do not have auto-skew.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This looks gobbledygook to me but it might help if you know what you are doing: Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Looking at that table if I take out the extremes then average the rest of UK it looks like a skew of -12 or -13 would be best.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like this is a second hand unit.
If so the control box needs reprogramming or possibly replacing.
I believe some could be programmed and some cant.
Somebody will know for sure.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
I am not looking at 13 east, that's what the factory has set the skew for I need to change it for a satellite at 28.2 east as you correctly say.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Its a new unit but it comes from the factory in Italy with the skew set to work fine in that area.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are looking for astra 2 then no amount of skew will find it at 13 deg

Astra 2 is at 28.2 degrees east
I didn't know what skew was until I read the document in the link. It seems the satellite signal is "polarized" and the LNB needs to be slightly rotated to align with the way the signal is twisted.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Having travelled down from northern England right down to the Algarve I have found that the LNB skew angle only makes marginal difference. If you look from the back of the LNB towards the dish then anything around the 30 minutes mark is good enough for the whole of England, as you get further south then somewhere around 20 to twenty five minutes to gives a marginal improvement.Not been to the north of Scotland yet but I believe 25 minutes past may be the ideal

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Presume you are referring to degrees not minutes as 60 minutes = 1 degree, your figures seem higher than I was expecting but thanks for the input.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Presume you are referring to degrees not minutes as 60 minutes = 1 degree, your figures seem higher than I was expecting but thanks for the input.

Oooops sorry was referring to the clock face

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Good news I have just turned the motorhome round 180 degrees and bingo I get Astra 2 so the line of sight must have been blocked by something. I will still reset the skew when I get chance and its a bit warmer for messing about on the roof.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back