Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
lowline
Exp
4 with small van
hi have just signed up to your site after speaking with dick of (itchy feet) at the nec. we are eagerly awaiting delivery in next few weeks of our new autosleeper gloucester, we have sold up and aim to go full timing both uk and europe but are facing many problems ie lying to dvla regards address , lying to insurance co as to overnight home parking etc pls can any kind folk give us pointers of the most near legal way of dealing with these things. eating and drinking come easy but lying is more stressful, do i just need more practice?lol.:winky:. also we have booked site s for april and may because of bank holidays but are we being over cautious can we really just leave it to last minute decisions on where and when we wish to travel as we hope or do we still have to use grey cells and plan ahead ?
all help will be gratefully recieved,as we prepare to shut down our bricks and mortar sell off last few goods and chattels and pack the few remaining bits ie the dog , hubby me and a few books into our 'van and set off into the blue? yonder .
look forward to your replies

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Nomads, it seems that you have exciting times ahead,::bigsmile: There are plenty of full timers here so you are only a question away from some very knowledgeable people who are about the friendliest bunch you will find anywhere::bigsmile:

Welcome to the Fun. :thumb:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
hi have just signed up to your site after speaking with dick of (itchy feet) at the nec. we are eagerly awaiting delivery in next few weeks of our new autosleeper gloucester, we have sold up and aim to go full timing both uk and europe but are facing many problems ie lying to dvla regards address , lying to insurance co as to overnight home parking etc pls can any kind folk give us pointers of the most near legal way of dealing with these things. eating and drinking come easy but lying is more stressful, do i just need more practice?lol.:winky:. also we have booked site s for april and may because of bank holidays but are we being over cautious can we really just leave it to last minute decisions on where and when we wish to travel as we hope or do we still have to use grey cells and plan ahead ?
all help will be gratefully recieved,as we prepare to shut down our bricks and mortar sell off last few goods and chattels and pack the few remaining bits ie the dog , hubby me and a few books into our 'van and set off into the blue? yonder .
look forward to your replies

Welcome to the world of fulltimers.:thumb:
You don't have to lie to anyone if you use a care of adress. I would also recommend you don't lie to your insurance company. I use Comfort Insurance and they know I live in my MH fulltime, mostly outside the UK and adjust the premium accordingly:Sad:
Better to pay more than find out that they won't pay out on a claim.
I come back to the UK June or July each year and have never had a problem getting on a site if I need to. I ring in advance to check they have a pitch free before I set off in their direction, if not, I go somewhere else.
Good luck with your new lifestyle:Smile:

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You don't have to lie to anyone if you use a care of adress. I would also recommend you don't lie to your insurance company. I use Comfort Insurance and they know I live in my MH fulltime, mostly outside the UK and adjust the premium accordingly:Sad:
I come back to the UK June or July each year and have never had a problem getting on a site if I need to. I ring in advance to check they have a pitch free before I set off in their direction, if not, I go somewhere else.

Fulltiming insurance! If you have that in writing from Comfort Insurance I would really like to see it. I have invited them before to say us much on the forum but as yet they have not. Faced with a large claim when someone has lost "everything" like a full timer might, I imagine most insurers will point to the fact that you are in a vehicle designed for occasional leisure use; and then start negotiating. Remember, in the event of a claim it will be the insurance companies underwriter who you will be dealing with, not your broker, so get everything in writing from the broker, in plain English and don't store it in the motorhome. :Smile:

Meanwhile if Comfort do offer comprehensive insurance to full timers, please do let us know, there will be plenty interested. :Smile:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Hi and welcome from a fellow newbie.

At the risk of being banned I would urge you to think about the future a little bit, will the DVLA allow a C/o address ? Will the insurance people cover a nomadic lifestyle (Please note not in any way criscising a nomadic lifestyle)

I currently spend half the year in eastern Europe and the Police do not much like people who have no permanent home, UK citizens are probably OK but it is something to consider.

By all means sell your house and everything but with respect I would suggest a small one bed flat somewhere will be very useful in the future.

Oh yes, don't ever lie to your insurance company, you won't have any problems 'till you need to claim and that's when you are dealt with not by the sales side but the 'expenses' side and they will look into everything you've ever said in your application and subsequent corresspondance (Like also including telephone calls)

Crime is bad in some parts of Eastern Europe too so I would also urge a RHD MH (Not easy to sell on in Europe)

Just ask yourself what would happen if you parked up somewhere, walked into the town to browse around and when walk back your MH was gone :Sad: No one saw anything, and if you are near a border it's probably over and into a neighbouring country (No controls whatsoever in the EU now) BUT the Police can only investigate in the country where the crime was committed they can not go belting across state boundaries in hot persute. well maybe in 'hot' persute but not carry out normal Police investigations (Interviewing suspects etc.) that can only be done by the Police in the neighbouring country and since the crime wasn't committed on their 'patch' they are usually not much bothered.

Meanwhile you are left standing holding a bag of shopping, a passport, a mobile phone, and a bit of cash :RollEyes:

OP
OP
G

grey nomads

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
lowline
Exp
4 with small van
full timing insurance?

so confusing most people we have spoken with say not to admit to "living" in van full time? also conlicting advice refcouncil tax / do we or dont we have to pay and stay in system? using c/o address. understand need of uk address for dvla and insurance etc but how can wedo right if no one is saying where the line is ?????
only have 32 days left to sort it all out before handing back rental keys and hitting the road, starting to be daunting for 2 old folgies lol good job the dog can keep a cool head

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just ask yourself what would happen if you parked up somewhere, walked into the town to browse around and when walk back your MH was gone :Sad: No one saw anything, and if you are near a border it's probably over and into a neighbouring country (No controls whatsoever in the EU now) BUT the Police can only investigate in the country where the crime was committed they can not go belting across state boundaries in hot persute. well maybe in 'hot' persute but not carry out normal Police investigations (Interviewing suspects etc.) that can only be done by the Police in the neighbouring country and since the crime wasn't committed on their 'patch' they are usually not much bothered.

Meanwhile you are left standing holding a bag of shopping, a passport, a mobile phone, and a bit of cash :RollEyes:

Just ask yourself what might happen if you lose everything in a forest fire, or a flood or an earthquake, or tsunami, what if you are diagnosed with cancer. Its all too risky, might as well end it all now:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good advice re insurance, get everything in writing and don't keep all the documents in the motorhome. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back