Free Member
Apr 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
20 years
Folks just to let you know that I received the following from Fiat recently re the reversing judder in my Fiat Bolero Motorcaravan.
Thank you for contacting Fiat Professional regarding a reverse vibration on your Motorhome.

We recently wrote to a number of customers advising of investigations into a reverse vibration on Fiat Ducato 2.3 Motorhomes.

I am pleased to advise that testing has now been completed in Italy. We shall soon be in receipt of the technical information required to move forward. Our Customer Relations team shall be in direct contact with you in June with further instructions.

Your Ducato Motorhome will be required to be taken to a Fiat dealership for modification. Once this has been completed, our dealership will test your vehicle with you present to ensure that you are happy with the work undertaken.

We appreciate your patience in this matter and we will be in contact again in due course.

Yours sincerely,

Emma Toms
Customer Care Director

Hope this will be of help.

Jack the Rev :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
seems the mod is straight forward....new engine mountings, but some dealers are having problems getting the new mounts...

CLICK <<Link Removed>>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
seems the mod is straight forward....new engine mountings, but some dealers are having problems getting the new mounts...

I only wish it was as straight forward as you say.

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
I have been told that Fiat is trying to pass the judder problem off as 'engine mountings' when in fact it is the reverse gear its self is the cause, some thing to do with its ratio. Mountings are cheap and easy to fit, gear replacement costs run into the hundreds. If that's all it is, why did they have to go to great lengths testing and require 'technical information' so as to move forward. A simple recall to fit new mounts would have been all that was required.
On the test after repair they may want to show you in how to release the clutch out more slowly and smoothly so it doesn't judder. Don't be fooled into thinking its your driving or the problem is solved.
I'm sure Fiat wants to correct the fault (what ever the cost) and standby its product without thinking for one moment about its profits.
Nozzel

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
The Judder

Lets hope they solve the problem on all the vehicles fitted with that gearbox. Not many people have the confidence to change vans with that trouble flying around.
It has been widely said that the gearbox needs to be modified so an expensive area for the 3 manufacturers involved.
If I change my van in the future the first question will be, 'does it have a certificate to prove gearbox has been modified?', if not no dice.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have been told that Fiat is trying to pass the judder problem off as 'engine mountings' when in fact it is the reverse gear its self is the cause, some thing to do with its ratio. Mountings are cheap and easy to fit, gear replacement costs run into the hundreds. If that's all it is, why did they have to go to great lengths testing and require 'technical information' so as to move forward. A simple recall to fit new mounts would have been all that was required.
On the test after repair they may want to show you in how to release the clutch out more slowly and smoothly so it doesn't judder. Don't be fooled into thinking its your driving or the problem is solved.
I'm sure Fiat wants to correct the fault (what ever the cost) and standby its product without thinking for one moment about its profits.
Nozzel

think we'll have to wait and see what the outcome is...:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On the test after repair they may want to show you in how to release the clutch out more slowly and smoothly so it doesn't judder. Nozzel

everyone seems to have lost sight of the fact the Ducato IS NOT built solely for a motorhome but is a commercial vehicle....van, flatbed, tipper, pickup,carrying similar weights to us, and their biggest sales will be as such...not to motorhome converters.

the same engine, gearbox and chassis cab/bulkhead would have the same problem on these vehicles too and i cant see some hairy arsed builder being gentle on clutch release but the vehicle would soon be in the dealers complaining about the fault, we just dont hear of it cos its out of our realm.

think i'll stick to faulty engine mounts as i always have.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
everyone seems to have lost sight of the fact the Ducato IS NOT built solely for a motorhome but is a commercial vehicle....van, flatbed, tipper, pickup,carrying similar weights to us, and their biggest sales will be as such...not to motorhome converters.

the same engine, gearbox and chassis cab/bulkhead would have the same problem on these vehicles too and i cant see some hairy arsed builder being gentle on clutch release but the vehicle would soon be in the dealers complaining about the fault, we just dont hear of it cos its out of our realm.

think i'll stick to faulty engine mounts as i always have.

i think i read somwhere that the reverse ratio is differant for vehicles destined to be motorhomes .
i do think the sevels would have had a lot of scrap parts and claims for loss of earnings because industry usually bite each other when it costs them

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Lifted from another place...

"Hi . I have had the new engine mountings fixed today,and despite all our doubts in a very thorough test, at least 10 hill starts on a 1 in 6 hill , I can report it has worked with no after effects."

Sounds good. ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Lifted from another place...

"Hi . I have had the new engine mountings fixed today,and despite all our doubts in a very thorough test, at least 10 hill starts on a 1 in 6 hill , I can report it has worked with no after effects."

Sounds good. ::bigsmile:

engine mounts eh! told you so.....:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think i read somwhere that the reverse ratio is differant for vehicles destined to be motorhomes .

but why go to considerable expense and re-tooling designing a specific box when none of us would notice the difference in ratio's anyway, unless it was a stupid difference.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back