LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just had an electronic flyer from Netto for offers starting tomorrow (26 February).

They have a Maxtor Portable 250GB USB drive for £39.99 - see Link Removed (bottom right of first page) - which seems to be a pretty good price.

Could be just the job for plugging into the lappy - pity I spent more to buy a similar one a few months ago :cry:

Graham

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi no Netto around here but I bought a WD 250gig usb drive from PC world yesterday for £54.00

Olley

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Just had an electronic flyer from Netto for offers starting tomorrow (26 February).

They have a Maxtor Portable 250GB USB drive for £39.99 - see Link Removed (bottom right of first page) - which seems to be a pretty good price.

Could be just the job for plugging into the lappy - pity I spent more to buy a similar one a few months ago :cry:

Graham

Yes its amazing how they are coming down in price

What about [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxtor-Basics-Desktop-External-Drive/dp/B0015M08DG"]this one[/ame] even better::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I bought a WD usb, same as Olley for backing up photos etc on my little Sony.

For backing up the Mac I have 500 GB WD My Book, with firewire , this enables it to be used as a bootable start-up disc in the event of C drive failure.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I bought a WD usb, same as Olley for backing up photos etc on my little Sony.

For backing up the Mac I have 500 GB WD My Book, with firewire , this enables it to be used as a bootable start-up disc in the event of C drive failure.

Great idea:thumb:

But hang on there just one minute. ........:whatthe:

A Mac developing a fault........:Eeek:

Run for the hills, the sky's falling!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Great idea:thumb:

But hang on there just one minute. ........:whatthe:

A Mac developing a fault........:Eeek:

Run for the hills, the sky's falling!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Well, I have to admit it may be over the top.. the Mac has been going strong for five years and never a hic up.. of course it may get stolen :Eeek: it's very desirable :winky:
on the other hand, the Sony was ten months old when the drive failed, replaced under warranty.. :Doh:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes its amazing how they are coming down in price

What about this one even better::bigsmile:

It is pretty amazing isn't it.

In June last year we paid about 150 quid for a 1TB WD My Book NAS drive, which was a pretty good price at the time. The Ethernet port as an alternative to the USB one meant that we could install it to a free network port and use it from any of the machines on the network.

My portable 250 GB USB drive is a La Cie model, bought for just under 65 quid (including shipping) last September - again another good price at the time.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I gues I should really use Time machine more often.:Blush:

Hi

I'm afraid you can't use Time Machine as a bootable disc..

Download Carbon Copy Cloner and turn TM off .. it's free !

CCC 3 features an interface designed to make the cloning and backup procedure very intuitive. In addition to general backup, CCC can also clone one hard drive to another, copying every single block or file to create an exact replica of your source hard drive. CCC's block-level copy offers the absolute best fidelity in the industry!

Bombich Software: Carbon Copy Cloner

Jim

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi what worries me about these huge discs and the bigger ones soon to appear is that 1 will be able to hold every conceivable thing you want, be it MP3, video, pics ect. then what happens if its lost/stolen after 10 years or so?

So whats the best long term medium to back-up to? CD? but 10 years from now will you still be able to buy a CD reader? another USB drive? but once again, will that still be about in 10-20 years? And would it still work.

Olley

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

They have a Maxtor Portable 250GB USB drive for £39.99
Not really much of a bargain......need to come down less than that.

I bought a Maxtor external 640GB drive just after Christmas from (much to my surprise) PC World for just £58. The 500gb was only a quid cheaper for some obscure reason.

Just looked and it seems the 640 is no longer being sold by them but the 500 is still available at £57.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi what worries me about these huge discs and the bigger ones soon to appear is that 1 will be able to hold every conceivable thing you want, be it MP3, video, pics ect. then what happens if its lost/stolen after 10 years or so?

So whats the best long term medium to back-up to? CD? but 10 years from now will you still be able to buy a CD reader? another USB drive? but once again, will that still be about in 10-20 years? And would it still work.

Olley

Hi Ian , good point

The best backup for pictures are prints .. I print out my best pictures, especially of the kids and store in albums, not for me but future generations.. you can replace music.. but never lost pictures,

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Olley

In general you move with the times - as businesses do - and back up to whatever is the safest affordable medium at the time.. When I started working in IT in 1970, after leaving college, our backups were to reel to reel tape. That was the case for many years but I bet that these days many people wouldn't understand reel to reel :Smile:

When we first started using PCs we backed up onto floppy discs but, though we still retain the ability to read them, those days are long gone.

The masters for our genealogy CDs are backed up onto five hard drives in addition to the original (mixture of external/internal/NAS drives) - and not all are kept in the same place. We do a weekly backup of important files onto two external hard drives and a DVD, in addition to real-time backups to the NAS drive of certain files.

In years to come we will move to whatever is appropriate.

Hopefully that will guard against loss/theft etc - fingers crossed :Smile:

Graham

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not really much of a bargain......need to come down less than that.

I bought a Maxtor external 640GB drive just after Christmas from (much to my surprise) PC World for just £58. The 500gb was only a quid cheaper for some obscure reason.

Just looked and it seems the 640 is no longer being sold by them but the 500 is still available at £57.

Good price but I don't think you're comparing like with like. Having just looked at the PC World site I think the drive you mention is a desktop one which requires an external power supply. The one on offer from Netto is a portable one which takes all its power from the USB connection and looks like the one on sale at PC World at £67.96.

Graham

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Graham I hear what your saying about moving with the times, but who's going to remember to move that batch of pics off the 10 year old CD to the new medium? and after 20 years who will be able to? So instead of being looked at by a younger generation they end up in the skip.

Floppies, out of 10 computors at home and at work only 3 have a floppy, and when they get upgraded, none will what then? and with even jpegs taking up more than 1.44meg what use are they anyway.

I think Jims got the safest option, still be viewable in 100years without an upgrade. ::bigsmile:

olley

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Good price but I don't think you're comparing like with like. Having just looked at the PC World site I think the drive you mention is a desktop one which requires an external power supply. The one on offer from Netto is a portable one which takes all its power from the USB connection and looks like the one on sale at PC World at £67.96.

Graham
Ooops..yes thats true. One of my 'senior moments' :RollEyes:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham I hear what your saying about moving with the times, but who's going to remember to move that batch of pics off the 10 year old CD to the new medium? and after 20 years who will be able to? So instead of being looked at by a younger generation they end up in the skip.

Floppies, out of 10 computors at home and at work only 3 have a floppy, and when they get upgraded, none will what then? and with even jpegs taking up more than 1.44meg what use are they anyway.

I think Jims got the safest option, still be viewable in 100years without an upgrade. ::bigsmile:

olley

I totally agree with you that Jim is right regarding photos.

I was thinking more of backing up files in general and didn't explain myself properly.

CDs at the moment are like floppy disks of a few years ago in that they are, in my view, relatively short term storage media. As I mentioned, we are already using DVDs for backup (rather than CDs) because of their greater capacity.

Our main backup media are a number of hard drives and it is use of that type of storage where one moves with the times, continually moving information forward as main storage technology advances.

The other thing to consider, of course, is software. It's no good keeping data in a proprietary format which depends on software which will no longer run on newer machines and/or operating systems. It's always worth, every time one upgrades from one machine to another, ensuring that all files which need to be converted are converted.

Of course, if you are a sad geek like me who still has a Win 3.1 machine and a Win 98 machine in addition to the XP/Vista ones (plus a number of floppy drives) you can make a few quid from time to time by offering a data rescue service ::bigsmile:

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Of course, if you are a sad geek like me who still has a Win 3.1 machine and a Win 98 machine in addition to the XP/Vista ones (plus a number of floppy drives) you can make a few quid from time to time by offering a data rescue service ::bigsmile:

But no Macs...:Eeek: :Sad:

then again, Macs never require data rescue services, so it might be a waste of desk space.. :roflmto:

Mc Jim ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But no Macs...:Eeek: :Sad:

then again, Macs never require data rescue services, so it might be a waste of desk space.. :roflmto:

Mc Jim ::bigsmile:

As it happens, Jim, I do have a Mac - one of them funny shaped G3 things. Bought it off a mate a few years ago on the grounds that I could then offer family tree printing for Mac users. Trouble was there were no takers because people tend to prefer charts from more versatile Windows software ::bigsmile:

It's been stuck in a cupboard in the garage for a good while. Apart from one bit that is. The USB Imation Superdisk drive that came with it is useful for reading floppy disks when necessary ::bigsmile:

Graham

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I was under the impression that unless Kodak and the like printed your pics, they had a very short shelf life of only a few years before they degraded :whatthe:
Have things improved in that dept
Geo

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've found that if you use a decent photo printer with the recommended papers and inks you do achieve a long life result. We've left photos printed using different inks and papers on a south facing windowsill and found that to be the case. We've used an Epson R200 Photo Printer for several years.

Graham

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was under the impression that unless Kodak and the like printed your pics, they had a very short shelf life of only a few years before they degraded :whatthe:
Have things improved in that dept
Geo

Using cheap inks and plain paper will result in a faded print in a short space of time. My Epson uses special inks that they claim are good for 100 years. So far so good :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back